1984 Cobia Odyssey 170 VBR rebuild project

omc_parted

Seaman
First off, thanks to Friscoboater for giving me the basics (and courage) to attempt this job. Had a block crack last winter, so I rebuilt it, got it running, and am now looking at the rest of the boat. I knew the motor mounts were gone cause I had to use bolts to hold down the trim motors (instead of lag bolts). The interim housing was lagged down ok. Surprisingly, the transom is solid. However, the stringers are the consistency of leaves. Have removed the deck (up to the helm) trying to find the end of the rot. It hasn't ended. Even the boxes on the sides are rotten. Noticed that a lot of the fiberglass holding it all together is 4 inch tabbing :) Have uploaded some pics. Will follow up as I get deeper into this rabbit hole.

Attachments

• photo214972.jpg
    photo214972.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214973.jpg
    photo214973.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214974.jpg
    photo214974.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214975.jpg
    photo214975.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214976.jpg
    photo214976.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It seems the same ugly rotted wood pictures are the same every time a new project gets started. Amazing to see how boats can rot to that same mushy consistency. However, the project moves along and eventually a new very worthy and much better useable boat shows up towards the end. I'll be watching your project and efforts if that is okay... :thumb:

omc_parted

Seaman
I see that too (all the old rotted boats). Funny how these old boats fall into just the right hands, someone who doesn't automatically think "junk it, too much money, too much work". Most folks I know think I'm crazy cause I can afford to buy a new boat, but chose to fix what I got. I got a lot of good years out of this little booger, converting it to a fishing boat (from a ski boat). Wanna make it better than what I started with. Always cracks me up when I leave the ramp and blow past all those high dollar Rangers with their fancy electronics and lovely little paint jobs :)

omc_parted

Seaman
No Title

De-skinned the stern, gas tank and motor section as well as stringers. The front boxes are going bye bye, to be replaced with a fishing deck, rod holders and tackle box compartments. Found stringer rot from back to front, so its a whole new floor for me :) Also, noticed that i can get a lot of the tabbing out pretty easy (to show the hull) with a crowbar. Apparently it was never wetted too good in the first place :)

Attachments

• photo215235.jpg
    photo215235.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo215236.jpg
    photo215236.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

omc_parted

Seaman
No Title

Got the port stringer removed. Rotted all the way thru. Found a lot of water in the ski locker. Had a piece of wood under the fiberglass that looks as if its sole purpose was to collect water and mud. Foam was ok. Both aft seat boxes were rotted throughout. Got to find a better way to prop up the helm and port fiberglass than to tie them to the ceiling :)

Attachments

• photo215295.jpg
    photo215295.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1

omc_parted

Seaman
No Title

Stuck some boards under the 2 hoods. Can be removed easily, Screwed them together at the bottom :) 2nd stringer out now. Garbage man is gonna hate me tomorrow with all the foam and rotted wood :)

Attachments

• photo215339.jpg
    photo215339.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

omc_parted

Seaman
No Title

Heartbreak here..........did closer inspection on transom, stabbing it with screwdriver. 2/3 of it is rotted. New transom needed.

Dumb question of the day. That black epoxy around it has to go, huh? Fiberglass wont stick to it, right? Bad thing is that the cap is screwed into the epoxy.

Attachments

• photo215627.jpg
    photo215627.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup....Take it down to the innerds of the outers skin of transom. You want to get it all out and make it clean as you can. Happens here all the time.Better to geterdone now than later after all of your hard work.:joyous:
You will end up bonding your NEW transom to the existing skin of the transom.

omc_parted

Seaman
Kinda thought that was gonna be the way to go.My grinder goes thru it pretty easy. Found some pinholes under the fiberglass matting. Probably the source of the water to the stringers. Weird is the foam was good (mostly) throughout the hull. Gonna have to wait for a little warmer weather to finish the grinding. Its up to 13F here in Georgia. Tried grinding in the garage but too much fog of fiberglass. Reminds me of Friscoboaters restoration of the Sea Ray. Deep snow :)

As far as the holes are concerned, should I peanut butter them or PL glue? Not gonna put this back in the water with this problem.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'd probably wait until more grinding was completed and go at em in a bunch instead of a few at a time. That way you mix the PB 1 or 2x and conserve some $$ for the other work ahead. Yes I would recommend PB over pl for the bond.

omc_parted

Seaman
No Title

Transom completely removed, and with template cut. All I need is some warm weather so I can build it :) The transom that I originally thought was solid was water logged all the way around. The boat now weighs next to nothing :The only wood left is my little stand to hold up the consoles.

Attachments

• photo216315.jpg
    photo216315.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo216316.jpg
    photo216316.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Transom completely removed, and with template cut. All I need is some warm weather so I can build it :) The transom that I originally thought was solid was water logged all the way around. The boat now weighs next to nothing :The only wood left is my little stand to hold up the consoles.

Couple guys built garage exhaust systems currently on the forum. { Nurseman and Ahmincha threads]Makes for clean work but seems like you've gone and done it now. Did you strap the boat up like Wood said on an earlier post?
Transom foam template looks good. In pic 1 on the left side looking at it you gonna cut that a little larger to fill the void..just wondering.? :) What is that black stuff still there? Oil, mold... Keep sending in the pics.
fetch

omc_parted

Seaman
I didn't strap it, probably gonna have to when installing deck so I can meet the original widths. Built a little u shaped stand to hold up the consoles. Also tied them to the side of the boat for extra safety. The styrofoam template actually has markings on it to tell me to cut the transom 11/2 inches wider, 1 inch wider, etc...cause I had to cut and squeeze it in place. The black on the bottom is the epoxy stand for the bilge pump.Almost positive I'll have to remove it too.I have found many old repairs done to several holes that flat out were done wrong. Gonna have to glass a lot before I can even consider stringers, deck, etc..Still waiting for warm weather to start building. Found 1708 for about 6-7$ per yard, in 5 yard increments. Am considering a complete chopped strand layer throughout hull to add strength cause it is really weak in a lot of places.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
bag the chop strand and stick to 1708 if using poly or 1700 using eeepoxy. Chopstrand only helps to seal or cover rough areas and has no inherent strength.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I didn't strap it, probably gonna have to when installing deck so I can meet the original widths. Built a little u shaped stand to hold up the consoles. Also tied them to the side of the boat for extra safety. The styrofoam template actually has markings on it to tell me to cut the transom 11/2 inches wider, 1 inch wider, etc...cause I had to cut and squeeze it in place. The black on the bottom is the epoxy stand for the bilge pump.Almost positive I'll have to remove it too.I have found many old repairs done to several holes that flat out were done wrong. Gonna have to glass a lot before I can even consider stringers, deck, etc..Still waiting for warm weather to start building. Found 1708 for about 6-7$ per yard, in 5 yard increments. Am considering a complete chopped strand layer throughout hull to add strength cause it is really weak in a lot of places.

When you do end up making the transom make sure you do dry run of installing it. Sometimes another pair of hands can make a difference also when it comes to the transom. Check out Wogs transom install suggestions.

omc_parted

Seaman
No Title

Kinda like this? Got 2x4s across the hole, both sides of hull, and another 2x4 jammed behind the wall to push the hull all the way against the top of the transom. All I'm waiting for is my resin. Got all my other stuff here, temperatures starting to get up to 70 degrees F. Gonna fix all previous holes in hull first, 1708, then peanut butter this guy in. Got 3 gallons of Cabosil gonna be here Monday, already got my 1708 and 3lbs. of 1/4 inch chop strand here. Got 4 gallons of resin on the way too. If you buy the 5 gallon jug they wanna charge you a EPA fee. Sad my town doesn't have this stuff local, and if they do its way overpriced :)

Once I clear this hurdle, got to cut stringers.

Attachments

• photo216904.jpg
    photo216904.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That's the ticket! Looking good. PS; Don't forget to spray some wax or oil on the all thread rods or getting them out can be a pia.