Glare/flashing problems with a new dash?

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what I will be working with for my resto

This is what I did with the storage box. This brings up my question. If I fabricated a hole new dash in this same fashion, would glare be a problem? It looks real cool, but that's not worth being blinded! Any thoughts on this? I'm still tinkering at this point, but I want to put the hammer down before I run out of winter! Everything goes, right down to the deck. (Yes it's solid)

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to make the hole smaller, and allow for a three hole system for the rack steering, I stopped here. The ugly "WOOD LOOK" has to go! (says the admiral)
20150131_165929_zps5gli8meh.jpg

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
What? They show up on my end! You can't see any pictures? I don't even know how to address the picture problem. Like I said, they show up on my end every time a pull up this thread. Hmmmmm....:frusty:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Only the pic in the second post shows up. The two in the first look like this;

flaug.PNG

Try Photobucket to host your pics and paste the Photobucket IMG code in your posts for the always works solution.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
20150131_165938_zpsrmwwyehs.jpg Did it work? The two pictures are in the same order as above.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Working. I don't think you grabbed the IMG code in the first couple. IMG usually shows nice big pics.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you can click on the pic to enlarge. This turned out to be I picture discussion I guess... LOL :lol:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The pictures now work fine for me. (had the same problems as others with the ones in the first post). If you are thinking of using the aluminium 'boiler plate', then yes, reflection is going to be a real issue. One flash of the sun into your eyes and you'll not be seeing for a good 20 seconds. Enough time to run over someone in the water :eek: I would think you need something with a matt or satin finish. I've seen quite a lot of Mercruiser 're-powers' that have had the older instrument panel removed (as Merc don't make the panel any longer, and the new gauges 'don't fit'... They do, but that's for another thread :D)... The new Merc gauges are loose, meaning that owners of boats that had the old panel need to fill a LARGE hole. Most take a big piece of malomite, or something similar, with a matt white finish, and cover the whole hole with it, then drill the required 2" and 3-3/4" holes.... Works a treat and looks very 'modern'. I still prefer the old panel, and that's why I made my new gauges fit... :evil: :D

Chris........

Last edited: