hull ventilation questions

neversinksmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
cant seem to find much on the subject. im not talking about venting fuel vapors. 1985 Ozark 16' fish-n-ski.
im wondering how deep should the bilge extend up the hull under the floor?

as it stands there is a center stringer running up the middle of the boat. the lowest bilge area is off set. in my case there is a 5'w x 4'long platform at the stern that will be raised off the floor a couple inches when redone to allow water to all drain off the deck and into the bilge area.
when I redo the stringers I will do 2 "center" stringers aprox 8"-10" apart. the surrounding stringer voids will be foamed but what about this center channel?
do I want to leave it open bow to stern w/ a couple floor vents in the center and toward the bow?

this is my first complete restoration so forgive my lack of knowledge

Attachments

• photo214919.jpg
    photo214919.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214920.jpg
    photo214920.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
NSS, a couple of things..1,) You should keep all of your posts in one thread concerning your boat project. Makes it much easier for the members to follow along with what you're doing AND it is the forum rules.
2.) Your pics are to small to really see what you are referencing.

The Center Stringer is also the KEEL of the boat and IS the Backbone of the hull and is integral to it's structure. I wouldn't advise not replaceing it or at the very least filling it it with solid material. When you post larger clearer pics of the bilge area and your proposed modifications we can better help you with suggestions and advice.

neversinksmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
NSS, a couple of things..1,) You should keep all of your posts in one thread concerning your boat project. Makes it much easier for the members to follow along with what you're doing AND it is the forum rules..

ok. guess im confused about forum rules. so if I have and electrical question on this build wouldn't I post a new thread in electrical? or if my fuel pumps not working put it in this thread too? seems like, as a resource, if the next guy has a question about ventilation, or furl pumps, it would be silly for him to scroll through pages upon pages of a rebuild to get info when there is a thread specifically dealing w his/her issue.
im not debating the forum rules, but that doesn't make much sense. if that's the rules...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
ok. guess im confused about forum rules. so if I have and electrical question on this build wouldn't I post a new thread in electrical? or if my fuel pumps not working put it in this thread too? seems like, as a resource, if the next guy has a question about ventilation, or furl pumps, it would be silly for him to scroll through pages upon pages of a rebuild to get info when there is a thread specifically dealing w his/her issue.
im not debating the forum rules, but that doesn't make much sense. if that's the rules...

You didn't actually break any rules nss. The rules state not to post multiple threads about the same question, your first thread is about your boat build and this thread is about boat ventilation.

I understand how frustrating it can be when you don't get the help you want/need in your thread, and I don't think starting a thread about a specific question is all that bad... but it is a slight breach of etiquette.

I tried to answer this question in your build thread, if you would like more help with it let's discuss it there so the feeble minded don't get confused.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Your topic nomenclature is a bit misleading. What you are asking is about deck/Hull Drainage. The holes your referencing are to allow water on the deck to drain down to the bilge. I guess in a way they provide ventilation but that's only a secondary benefit and not their intended purpose. As you clearly stated in your text, you didn't want to talk about venting but rather draining, and since you posted pics of your boat restoration and are addressing issues concerning how to do the build I thought you would be better served to include it in your build thread to HELP YOU and others as they try to follow along with your reasoning and logic. We do have specific Forums for Specific issues I.E. Electrical and Motor and Trailers etc and if a Mod, (and I am not one, just a member trying to help you get the best information you can from the members,) finds a post here in the restoration thread that is better suited for one of those he will automatically move it there. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. Having pics and questions about the same build scattered among multiple threads and then referencing them can get confusing.

Last edited:

neversinksmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I understand completely. if youre able, please feel free to delete this thread all together. thanks for the clarification everyone!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
NS,
The point is...this is a cool thread. Just put all your questions into this thread instead of multiple threads. Eventually someone will get to answer your questions. I did the same thing when I first hooked up {no pun intended} with Iboats.
Ask the MOD. to combine all your other threads into this one.
KC!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you feel you may not get an answer in this thread to a question that is not related to the thread topic and you'd like to ask it in a more appropriate thread, by all means ask in a different thread. You can always link it back to this thread, or add the new threads' link to this one, or both....

Starting a new thread with a new question, not previously asked directly is not 'against the rules'. That is what the rule is trying to stop. Probably the best way to do it is to post in this thread that you have a question regarding xxxx and post the link to it. That should (hopefully) avoid you getting answers to the same question in both threads. It will direct potential answerers from this thread to the new thread, and bring in new answerers to the new thread....

HTH,

Chris.......

neversinksmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you feel you may not get an answer in this thread to a question that is not related to the thread topic and you'd like to ask it in a more appropriate thread, by all means ask in a different thread. You can always link it back to this thread, or add the new threads' link to this one, or both....

Starting a new thread with a new question, not previously asked directly is not 'against the rules'. That is what the rule is trying to stop. Probably the best way to do it is to post in this thread that you have a question regarding xxxx and post the link to it. That should (hopefully) avoid you getting answers to the same question in both threads. It will direct potential answerers from this thread to the new thread, and bring in new answerers to the new thread....

HTH,

Chris.......

thanks I don't know nothing about that. im just tryin to get some help building a boat