1959 Cutter Avon Hardtop Project

LAcustoms

Seaman
Planning on starting on my 1958-1960(?) Cutter boat project in March/April but have a serious question on how to go about installing a full floor in this cutter. This boat is basically all fiberglass except the transom and two "stringers" that lay flat and run almost to the front seat area. Just wanting some suggestion on the correct/best way to install the framing after cutting out the two bench seats.

transom

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats! That's gunna be a KOOL boat!! You may be in luck Those stringers could be Hollow and if so you may not need to do anything to them. If they are thick glass and not delaminated you'll be good to go. Have you core sampled the transom yet? The HardTop Is AWESOME!!! If the transom is bad, you'll need to decapitate her for sure with that big ol' splashwell she's got. The middle link in my signature line has a lot of good info on installing and fabricating stringers, decks and transoms.

LAcustoms

Seaman
Welcome to iBoats! That's gunna be a KOOL boat!! You may be in luck Those stringers could be Hollow and if so you may not need to do anything to them. If they are thick glass and not delaminated you'll be good to go. Have you core sampled the transom yet? The HardTop Is AWESOME!!! If the transom is bad, you'll need to decapitate her for sure with that big ol' splashwell she's got. The middle link in my signature line has a lot of good info on installing and fabricating stringers, decks and transoms.

Thanks! I'm on the hunt for a windshield for it that i can make work with the top. Yes, the transom is shot. Ill take a look at your build in a few, Im probably just over thinking it and making it harder then it is.

LAcustoms

Seaman
she will be a head turner when you get her finished
Hope so.

Tagging along !! Very cool ! :cool:
I guess the H/T is made to slide back and forth along those rails ?
And I thought the H/T on my boat was cool .... Do you have an o/b for it ? Going back with the same bench seating ?
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library...BHBPHOTO25.JPG

Yes, the hardtop slides on those rails, just need to find a windshield for it. I would like to put one with a foldout on it. I have the 61 Mercury 70hp that was on it but in my opinion is way to far gone to mess with(wiring is complete trash and was stored in a field with the plugs out of it) so i recently picked up a 79 Johnson 140 for it. I want to remove the seat benches and install a full floor and lounge seats or front swivels and a back bench.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WHOA, A 140 hp motor on that Boat is WAAAAAY overpowered. These old things were not designed for that AND liability insurance would be Null and Void!!!;):eek:

LAcustoms

Seaman
WHOA, A 140 hp motor on that Boat is WAAAAAY overpowered. These old things were not designed for that AND liability insurance would be Null and Void!!!;):eek:

It says max hp of 140hp on the plate on the dash???

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
W the hardtop its heavy and id bet its wide for a 16' 7" boat... long shaft transom too i'd bet

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's 4" shy of 7 ft. Yeah that's pretty wide for that vintage. But With the hard top and the closed bow I'm sure you're fine. I'm REALLY looking forward to this!!!

Last edited:

LAcustoms

Seaman
Is the bow capable of being walked on assuming a better framing is built under it or is the glass still to weak to support any decent weight?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It,s probably ok to walk on .. there should be some ribes or something glassed in under it . Mine had hollow cardboard tubes glassed in . You might try and slide out on it real slowly to see how it acts . If you don't trust it then you can add extra support ...

Last edited:

LAcustoms

Seaman
It,s probably ok to walk on .. there should be some ribes or something glassed in under it . Mine had hollow cardboard tubes glassed in . You might try and slide out on it real slowly to see how it acts . If you don't trust it then you can add extra support ...

Thanks, I was just curious if they were originally designed for it. The wood under it currently is not fit real well so mainly the glass would be doing the work currently.Sorry for the stupid questions, until im actually hands on with it, I'm sure I"ll ask more dumb questions...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm Stupid and Dumb questions do NOT exists here!!!!:D;) We have ALL been there and that's what this forum is all about. Ask what you don't know, read the responses, and then use your best judgement as to which ones make the most sense for you and your boat. You'll soon find out that you'll get a LOT of responses that seem Right and some that seem Wrong. Follow your "Gut" and you'll be fine. Momma said " Stupid is as Stupid Does!!!!" You learn the most from your mistakes and that's what's so great about Fiberglass. You can't do anything to it that can't be fixed...Well almost!!!:eek:

Keep Askin Away!!!!!!:)