1959 Cutter Avon Hardtop Project

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
You have a Jetsons vehicle on your hands! Put a bubble cockpit/windshield on it and you've got a spaceship. :D All jokes aside, this is an intriguing looking boat. Can't wait to see where you go with it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think I made the stand 3' x 3'-6' . I can take some measurement's tomorrow when I get home if you'd like ...
On the stringers . Seeing as it did not really have much to start with you could do it however you want ... I think I would run them front to back . Kinda like your first pic . Whatever bulkhead you put in you need to think about a way for water to travel to the back of the boat in case some gets under the deck ..

LAcustoms

Seaman
A bit of success today, got the tilt trim on the Johnson 140 working. It wasnt going up, drained and refilled with new fluid and bleed it out and all seems well.

I need some help finding a windshield that will work with the hardtop(minor customizing okay) need width of about 60". Anyone know what boats have a windshield width of 60"?

LAcustoms

Seaman
I'm still here. planning on starting on it this weekend. I managed to make room in my shed for it.

LAcustoms

Seaman
Still no work done on the cutter :(, I promise it's coming.

Picked up a parts boat today. got it mainly for the trailer but will make use of some other things. the Evinrude 140 on it will be the parts motor for mine if need be also.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You don't have anything left of the old windshield ?
If it was just a bit lower and the side glass was the same angle as the hard top supports it looks pretty good ... Have you considered a rounded w/s ?

Mark72233

Ensign
LAcustoms I have a rounded windshield from a 1990 Regal 190. I will see if I can find a picture of it if not when I get a chance tonight or Saturday I will pull it out and snap some pics. As you know Panama City is a short drive if you think it will work.

Mark72233

Ensign
This is not a picture of the boat I have but it is the same make and model.

The one that I have was completely torn down by previous owner who was going to restore it only to realize he was way over his head and stopped after tearing it down. Bought the boat for the engine and stern drive. I have since pulled everything from the boat and it was unfortunately scrapped. I have the windshield, fuel tank, all the stainless hardware and the seat forms. He had ripped all the upholstery from them already. I kept the trailer, it is original to the boat and in real good shape. Here are pictures of the boat when I first picked it up in North west Alabama. Let me know if you think you can use something.

LAcustoms

Seaman
You don't have anything left of the old windshield ?
If it was just a bit lower and the side glass was the same angle as the hard top supports it looks pretty good ... Have you considered a rounded w/s ?

No, i dont have anything of the original windshield. The angle on the picture is deceiving, it needs to be raised a tiny bit to match the hardtop, fold out needs a few inches taken out to be able to close and the sides will basically need to be rebuilt completely. I'm going to try an find someone who can trim this windshield to fit. A rounded windshield would probably look best but this is what i found first

LAcustoms I have a rounded windshield from a 1990 Regal 190. I will see if I can find a picture of it if not when I get a chance tonight or Saturday I will pull it out and snap some pics. As you know Panama City is a short drive if you think it will work.

This is not a picture of the boat I have but it is the same make and model.

The one that I have was completely torn down by previous owner who was going to restore it only to realize he was way over his head and stopped after tearing it down. Bought the boat for the engine and stern drive. I have since pulled everything from the boat and it was unfortunately scrapped. I have the windshield, fuel tank, all the stainless hardware and the seat forms. He had ripped all the upholstery from them already. I kept the trailer, it is original to the boat and in real good shape. Here are pictures of the boat when I first picked it up in North west Alabama. Let me know if you think you can use something.

Yep Panama City is only a hour or so from me. Once i get this boat done I will be playing a lot in Lake Seminole, Sneads, FL side mostly. I appreciate the offer and will keep you in mind, but I dont think that windshield will work for me unless I do some major modifying, the rake on that windshield looks to be WAY to much for my boat.

Last edited:

LAcustoms

Seaman
Well I was able to remove the rear sections of the rub rail today, a screw and nut was used, turned into a pita. Thought removing the top was going to be fairly easy but the deck and hull are fiberglassed together??? That has me scared to split them due to not getting them aligned properly when it's time to put them back together...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Some makers did fiberglass the 2 halves together, mine had the rubrail thru bolts fiberglassed over.

Just another thing to do before you can take the cap off of yours.

Based on the willingness to make substantial changes to the boat's layout, I don't think you'll have any trouble pulling the 2 halves apart or putting it back together.

LAcustoms

Seaman
Thanks JB. I was contemplating cutting the top so I could get to the transom but decided to decap her completely. Almost got it off need to go get a few new blades and it will be separated by the end of the day.