1964 Lone Star Medallion

DAHoyle

Cadet
Hey everybody.

Been lurking around in the shadows here, and have read a lot of the threads, especially the Lone Star and Star Craft restorations.

I have been shopping for a 16 footer from either of those manufacturers, and finally found what I was looking for. After some comparison, I decided on the Lone Star. It seems like they were a bit more generous with their dimensions. This thing is noticeably larger than the Star Craft of the same type and length.

Picked it up and brought it home this AM.

The boat belonged to an absolute enthusiast, who, sadly, passed away. In any case, his love for the old bolts meant that this one had been well cared for, and recently used, so it wasn't the total wreck of some I had looked at. Remarkably, it was the least expensive of the ones I had recently looked at.

In any case, she is structurally sound, reasonably clean, and seaworthy as she sits now.

For this year, I am just going to pull the floor, and do a leak test, clean out what little debris I have found, and re-epoxy the wood, replace the carpet, and install a few nice seats.

She has a Force 70 mounted to the transom, but I was told it was trashed. Sure enough, did a compression test, and the top cylinder was 30 PSI. The other two were a solid 135. Pulled the head hoping to find a blown head gasket(I knew I wasn't going to be that lucky, but had to hope). Piston shows severe overheating damage, but the bore looks reasonably good. There is a raised streak in it, which turned out to be part of the piston which had welded itself to it weakly. Was able to scrape some of it off with my fingernail. Not sure if I want to mess with it, but it's only a hundred or so for a piston. May just bore it and toss 3 new weisco slugs in it.

Long term goals is a matched pair of vintage 40's or 50's. That Force 70 might push the boat fine, but it just doesn't fit. Just looks tiny hanging on that transom.

In any case, thanks for the inspiration and the knowledge base.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats and I'm glad you found the cure for your tin fever!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the LS.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: to the best place for boat restoration, and the best group of people on the net for helping get those restos finished. I like the Lone Stars as well. Can't wait to see pics.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Be careful I own a couple of these lone stars they can become a bit addicting, and their is no 12 step program to help

DAHoyle

Cadet
Well, heading out of town for a month or so, so I figured I'd spend a little time with the new mistress, Wanted to see if my initial appraisal was in line with reality.
Spent a few hours removing the floor, and side panels, and pret ty much took the interior down to bare metal. There was a full shopvac full of leaves, pecans, twigs and cockroaches in the hull, but they are now residing in the compost pile. installed the drain plug and started filling it with water, and within about 30 seconds it became obvious that it will be a little more involved than simply re-doing the interior. A steady drip at the bow, and weeping at the seams along the sides. Probably no more than gallon an hour or so, but it will be fixed while it is stripped.

Will get some pics posted shortly as soon as I figure out my photobucket password. Until then, most of you have seen a pic or two of a stripped tin boat, so I'll leave it to your imagination.

Not disappointed, It's sort of like the old Mercury.I was expecting the worst but I had hoped for the best till I knew otherwise.

64osby

Admiral
:welcome: to the site.

Sounds like a nice boat, but we need pictures:watermelon:

Medallion's are great. Pretty sure they don't have the Armor-Hull foam:thumb:

Another nice Tin project on board.:)

Where is your home port?

DAHoyle

Cadet
:welcome: to the site.

Sounds like a nice boat, but we need pictures:watermelon:

Medallion's are great. Pretty sure they don't have the Armor-Hull foam:thumb:

Another nice Tin project on board.:)

Where is your home port?

No Armor-Hull. Standard hull with ribs. All in all, a sturdy beast. Hailing out of Dallas these days. Came out of Colorado a couple of years ago and knew that a change of lifestyle was required. I'm used to mountains, mountain biking, hiking, skiing, 4-wheeling, etc, and knew that was not going to be the case out here, so when I moved with the Missus, we made a commitment to buy a decent boat. The only other toy I have kept is my motorcycle, but I don't really enloy it as much here as on mountain roads, so it's even questionable. This will be the first boat, but I . foresee a larger one in the future. Was looking at a StarCraft islander, but it is probably not a good novice boat. Give me a year or so and I may re-think.

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Welcome to the Lone*Star club! cant wait to see some pictures of the boat and your progress!

DAHoyle

Cadet
Well, I managed to get into my Photobucket account so I got some pics uploaded.

The rain stopped so I spent a little more time going over the boat and got a little scrubbing done.
Think I have finally washed out all the debris which has been accumulating since 1964.

Pics, as promised:

DAHoyle

Cadet
T^He link to PB isn't going to work out very well, it will only direct people to either their own account or the home page to sign up. Here's the link to the how to...

How to post real size pictures!!! Step by Step with a free hosting site.

Curious, when I clicked on the link when I posted, it took me to my PB account.

Let's try this again:

In any case, the boat is pretty much un-molested. The only holes that were not from the factory are a pair of holes on the dash, which I have not been able to figure out, a couple of holes on the bow cap where some tasteless individual mounted an automotive horn, and two on the stern where a speedometer sensor was mounted.

DAHoyle

Cadet
If anyone has some good pics of the factory interior, please post them up. I may not do a factory reproduction, but I can't really say yet, as I haven't seen one.
I think I have managed to find all the builds similar to mine, but any links would also be appreciated.

64osby

Admiral
Your pics are probably the best look at an original interior out there.
Lonestarb63007.jpg

That is a 1963 literature pic from Fiberglassics.

I have a '66 Medallion II, there are many design difference between the two.

I like the sliding hatch, but what happens to the glass. In the above pic it looks like it swings back?

Your transom and Gunwales look to be much different than the Medallion II also.

This is a '64 on C/L 00i0i_l4NR6AQfUdC_600x450.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=Vz...20boat&f=false

^^^ A link to an ad from 63.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey there the ole gal is, a nice hunk of tin you got there. She should fix up nicely :thumb:

One suggestion after seeing the pics, reposition the bow stop/winch tower to where the stern is supported by the rollers. As it is now there is no weight on them being out beyond the transom.

DAHoyle

Cadet
The center glass slides down and under the cover, so that you can go forward. It's sort of ingenious, and totally pointless, but gimmicks sold in 1964, just as they do today.

Here is a link that demonstrates the center glass and cover. It is towards the end of the video an approx. 3:43.

Nice boat, but not fond of the seating. Thinking of 2 captains chairs, and 2 center facing benches aft, with maybe a bunk section that converts to a table, like an old camper. Have to work out exactly how much room it will take, and how to stow it when not in use.

DAHoyle

Cadet
Hey there the ole gal is, a nice hunk of tin you got there. She should fix up nicely :thumb:

One suggestion after seeing the pics, reposition the bow stop/winch tower to where the stern is supported by the rollers. As it is now there is no weight on them being out beyond the transom.

Thanks for pointing that out. In truth, as soon as practical, the trailer is getting a full overhaul, fenders with steps, all new rollers, and stripped down to bare metal and painted. The axle is mounted to a bogey which is adjustable fore and aft, and I need to slide it rearward a bit. Not enough weight on the tongue to suit me. sliding the boat back a bit might be a good idea, and then adjusting the axle. If I shift the boat back without moving the axle, I will have to pull the tongue down to hook it up. it has maybe 15 lbs of tongue weight right now, altho just replacing the floor will get it back up a little. it was about 50 lbs before I removed the decking.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That was a good video. Good motivation for finishing yours. That windshield is pretty neat. Looking forward to your resto.

64osby

Admiral
In the google books link it shows 2 triangular pads attached to the bow on the sides of the hatch. I was thinking of maybe doing that.

The back to back seats do nothing for me either. I'll look to see what you come up with for the aft seating.

I was thinking of some sort of 3 section flip down seating across the face of the splashwell.

I sure you will finish long before me.

dozerII

Admiral
That's a very cool tin boat, the that center windshield design is very ingenious.