Novice question on livewell overhaul

motodave

Seaman
First time overhauling a livewell system, please excuse my ignorance! Its an 83' ranger 372v. Have front and rear livewells, both of the re-circ pumps are toast. I want to seal off the front livewell and have the rear fully operational. Rear livewell has a fill/drain line (with open/close valve connected to side console), overflow line and one on bottom that the recirc pump was attached to. Has the recir pumps in very bottom of bilge. I know they are sealed motors, but I would like to mount it above the bilge where it wont be sitting in water. My question is, do I need a regular pump to fill the livewell, along with the recirc pump or just a recirc pump by itself? The system wasn't working at all so I have no reference. If you open the valve while in the water just a few inches of water collect in the livewell. Thanks for any replies/ ideas/ pics!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Do you KNOW what each control and Valve does and Where each hose attaches and terminates?
Can/Would you label that in the pic please?

motodave

Seaman

Thanks for your response Woodonglass, ok the blue is pointing to the recir pump for the rear livewell, coming out of the top is the hose leading to the spray outlet inside the live well. I am going to remove the other pump and block off the water hose. The red is the overflow hose. The yellow is the t joint that goes directly in the bottom of the livewell, it is the fill/drain. I have the old push/pull style cables to the valves at the very rear (you can see where the cable connects small wire) marked green from there they go thru the transom. Previous owner may have them hooked up wrong, I just don't know for sure as they were not working. Thanks for your help!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Simple...
The connections that go to the front well...
Disconnect the intake hose at the thru-hull, and install a cap, or a plug, or you could install a ball/sea **** valve, or a section of hose with a cap on the end...
Which would allow you to reconnect everything back up in the future, if you wanted to...
The reason the pumps lay as low as possible in the bilge is due to the fact that they are designed as pumps that can only push water up-stream, they are not designed to suction water, also means they are NOT self-priming...
They are also designed to remain submerged, so I wouldn't worry about that...
You only really need the one pump, depending on which way the valve is set...
Open to outside water, Pump Off ; The well will drain to the level of the outside water line.
Open to outside water, Pump On ; Fresh water will be drawn in and mixed with water already in the well.
Closed to outside water, Pump On ; Recirculates water in the well.
Closed to outside water, Pump Off ; Live well remains full to overflow. Not good for keeping catch fresh...;)
Hope this helps...

motodave

Seaman
GT1000 man thank you for explaining it so well, I kept second guessing myself on that t fitting. All you guys have been awesome!