Keel protection and gel coat scratch repair

Idajack

Recruit
I have a 1988 four winns freedom 160 that was purchased last summer as an inexpensive foray into boating, after replacing the gimbal plate on the cobra outdrive the previous owner had let go completely to pieces it's been winterized and parked under shelter for the last few months. In looking it over I have found one small area near the gas tank where I need to replace approximately 6 inches by 2 inches of one stringer which I have well in hand.
Looking under the boat it seems that the previous owner was fond of beaching the boat leading to the gel coat being worn off the keel as well as numerous dings and scratches in the gel coat under the water line.
You tube makes doing the ding repair seem pretty straight forward but the keel being scraped down to fiberglass concerns me a bit. Can I purchase and apply a keel protector pad or do I need to re-coat it in gelcoat first?
Also any tips on matching the 1988 four winns lighter blue color short of buying a gallon of color matched gelcoat?
Thanks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The makers of KeelShield recommend this if you're wondering about installing a keel guard over damage:

"KeelShield may be placed over existing damage, as long as there are no gouges or scratches more than ?? deep and your keel is not leaking. If you have extensive damage or your keel is leaking you will need to make some kind of repair before you install your KeelShield. If you make repairs yourself, be sure to follow the manufacturer?s instructions on curing before you install your KeelShield."