Advice on Gel Coat Repair

RumDiet

Cadet
I am repairing the hatch/seat on a 1984 McKee - similar to a Boston Whaler - The hatch is about 4' wide by 2 1/2 feet in depth - runs across the width of the bow of the boat - doubles as a cover for a storage compartment and a seat. Well a VERY wet seat.

It had been leaking and when I took it apart the plywood was soaked with water. I've cleaned everything out and am in the process of encasing a new piece of ply with glass and resin to make it water tight.

The lifting ring had been loose, and was backed with what looked to have been some kind of construction adhesive - I knocked that out with a chisel, and then ground out the area - which left a hole about the size of the lifting ring. I filled in the area underneath the area with about 1/2 inch of peanut butter. Now I have a indentation on the topside just about the same size as the lifting ring.

I've colored a batch of gel coat which will match pretty close to the color of the hatch. My plan is to paint the gel coat on the indentation and along the sides and then after I've waxed the lifting ring a few times - drop it in and let it act like a mold. The lift ring will ultimately be fastened with 4 SS screws.

Any problems that you can see doing it this way? My obvious problem is getting the gel to stick and mold around the edges - I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

• LW - Hatch(1) (640x480).jpg
    LW - Hatch(1) (640x480).jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 0
  • LW - Hatch(2) (640x480).jpg
    LW - Hatch(2) (640x480).jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
If you made peanut butter then you probably have some cabosil leftover. Mix some of that with your gel coat to thicken it first and then do as you suggested. I would put a few layers of saran wrap on the lift ring and push it into the gel coat putty. No chance of sticking to the gel then, wax might be iffy. JMHO

RumDiet

Cadet
Great suggestion - and I've got lots of cabosil left over - doing the entire other side of the cover as well.

Thanks