need suggestions on how to prep and repaint boat anchor

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have two 15 lb. boat anchors like the one in the picture and would like to repaint them as they look nasty. I have done what I could to clean this one off with a wire wheel on a drill but there are areas illustrated by red arrows that are hard to get the 3" wheel close to, including of course inside holes in anchor.

I am not concerned with it being a factory smooth finish but just want to get it prepped sufficiently that some primer and acrylic paint will stick. I know it is of course much easier to replace them but money aside I just want to improve general appearance for now and perhaps replace later on.

So any tips on how to clean and prep for paint, especially in the harder to get to areas of the red arrows on picture would be appreciated. Actually I am wondering if this is a really old anchor as it appears to have a brass color under paint in some areas. I would assume newer ones are perhaps steel. Wish I had access to a blasting cabinet to clean it all of but I don't.

Attachments

• photo214613.jpg
    photo214613.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral
​I would use a small wire brush to get in the tough areas.

An old anchor is about the only place I would consider using bedliner material.

I have one like yours that was dipped in a rubberized plasticoat.

It is really hard to scratch and helps protect the boat.

If it is brass you should polish it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could also use Dip It paint on or the spray. It is similar to bed liner but not as thick. But I've seem some wheels done using the Dip It coating and they looked pretty nice.

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
use a MCU coating (moiture cured urethane) - google MCU or aluthane

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What about sand blasting and hot-dip galvanizing?

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just found someone locally that does Soda Blasting and they agreed to blast the paint of for a reasonable price. So that being said I see some coatings are being suggested. Not sure what the gold color is or was but I have uncovered a couple of spots down to metal and it appears to be cast iron not brass after all.

I have no idea about the expense of hot dip galvanizing and am wondering if the other options suggested are after primer and or painting options or are to be used as a single coating on bare metal. Does the rubberized plasticoat come in spray or brush on, same for the Dip it as well and is it a last coat after primer and paint or a single direct surface coating?

Thanks in advance for any clarifying on the use of the coatings mentioned in your posts. :cool:

64osby

Admiral
Plastidip is one I've seen. Never used. Looks like it gets good reviews. Can be sprayed or dipped/brushed. They sell a primer, but also read you can peel it off if wanted or needed?

Available at the big box stores.