"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks John ! Notice how the foam is not level at the transom .. I have planed it to slope a bit in towards the bilge pocket hopefully to ward off any duck ponds in the corners .. Gunna try something a little different on the decking .. It will either be a huge success or a colossal failure ... Or something in between .. :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, I have to say, that has got to be the best installation of formed foam I've ever seen. I can appreciate the time that must have taken to get it in and looking so even. I applaud your efforts and you have opened my mind to such things. I probably will still go the mix and pour route because I already have my design setup to take advantage of that, but I will say you have given me another option for the next project... Great work as usual... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
gm , It did take a lot of time . More than I had hoped ... But I like the idea of foam that will not absorb water but mainly because I have access to a really big pile of it for free .... :eyebrows: With the money I spent on the seacast and all anything that's at little or no cost is great ...

Arch , I'm curious about the deck too ... ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Real very nice job on the foam Sam. and the Electrical conduits and the transom and the stringers and the.....:joyous: Real KickAZZ work.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don't want to cut another piece of foam for a very long time ! :faint2:
Got the last piece cut and installed at the same moment the Admiral called me in for supper ..
Perfect timing ! :joyous:
Need to pick up some more 1708 for this weekend ..

zool

Captain
Came out great Sam, I think I may try the rigid stuff in the skiff instead of messing with the pour stuff.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Would think the ridged stuff would be perfect for the skiff .. With a flatter bottom it should go much faster on the installation ..
I was wanting to update with pics and vids but things are acting stupid with my compooter .. :smash::pout:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok I think I may have it worked out .. Ready to start the deck .. Gotta make some skins . 2 layers 1708 ..

Does this bag of cabosil look like a good deal for 10 bucks ?

Gunna try the vids again in a bit ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Now I have a bit of a problem .. The next skin layup I did on the wall protection sheet that cured overnight is REALLY STUCK and bonded together ! :facepalm:
I will tear the skin to shreds if I try and remove it . So I'm thinking I will leave it stuck and grind it off where it will glue to the stringers and edges ..
It will only make it stronger I guess .. :rolleyes: Now that I have seen how well it sticks this stuff may be of value in other applications to just leave in place .
Any how here is another boring vid .. Seems I had to upgrade the adobe flash to get things working again ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgPb6trdxRk&feature=youtube_gdata

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work on the skin Sam. I will be interested to see how that core material works.....I'm assuming you cap it with fiberglass and cloth?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep it will get at least a layer of 1708 ..
Got the middle piece ground down for attachment . It really surprised me that the wall protection sheet stuck that well ..

Got those pieces installed ..

No lack of junk to weight it down . :facepalm:
Wow ! I really need to clean up ! That will go on the list of things to do .. :D
Hope everyone has had a wonderful 4rth !! :usa2:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Happy independence day Sam! Looks like you threw everything at it including the kitchen sink!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice vid and as usual,...concept to working model! Cool stuff going on there Sam.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, if you mount all that "stuff" in your boat, where are you going to sit... :pound:

Kitchen sink... I love it :pound:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
including the kitchen sink!
Yea it seems everyone forgets that item . I made sure I had one on hand just in case .. :D
Well I need to make the last skin for the bow area and seeing as my wall protection sheet somehow ended up in the boat ..:facepalm:
I think I will use some wax paper taped down to the plywood ... That should work don't ya think ?
My laminate doors are not wide enough to do the whole section unless I fasten 2 together and I really don't feel like wrestling those heavy a_ _ doors .. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just when you thought it was safe to climb back into your boat ..
:eek:
In honor of shark week ! :D
Used wax paper to do the last skin ... Seemed to do ok but felt like it left part of the wax on there . I hit it with the grinder and acetone before installing in the boat ..
The weekend sure flew by ! :cold: