"Save The Manatee "

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work! I don't know how you did that, I always end up wearing some of that stuff!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hope everyone had a great weekend ! Not much boat work but a little . Installed spacer blocks then clued into place and fillet the transom and center stringer form ..

Today managed to get in a little surfing ! :) Boy am I out of shape .. It was crowded but fun !
Did manage to get all the 1808 cut for the center stringer . Hope to lay that up tomorrow ..
Cheers everyone !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say I've never seen a poured transom and stringers and therefore I am watching your unique setup with much interest. Looks pretty nice so far and I am interested if how it works out. Keep posting those pictures... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep I did look through micks thread a while back . He did a great job !
That has me thinking on installing a few hollow or foam filled bulkheads . I only figured enough Seacast for the stringers and transom and its gunna be tight ..
Gm, check out archbuilder's Fuggly project . He just finished his Seacast pour and he did a great job documenting it with pics and vids ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So the biaxle cloth that I'm using has the 3/4 mat on one side . The consenses is that you don't have to lay csm before the biaxle ..
The 3/4 mat sure seems a bit thin . Debating on a layer of mat before the 1808 just on the hull .. A 6" rip . Gunna try an all wet on wet for the 2 layers of 1808

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, ondarvr says MFG's say it's not needed UNLESS substrate is very rough and uneven and danger of bad bonding. Totally up to you whether you think the additional CSM is needed. IMHO can't/won't hurt, just uses a bit more resin.;)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sam, I didn't use csm under my 1708, and I didn't have any issues, but I didn't have any really rough surfaces... Are you gonna do another video of the pour?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well I almost got the center stringer glassed in. Had 2 pieces left but it got dark on me and we lost power so I couldn't plug in a light ..
I know that's no excuse .. Should have duct taped a flashlight to my head and finished up . Having a hard time measuring the hardener ..
I think it turned out ok I'll lt ya know when I can see ..
I did put a 6" strip of csm just on the hull for the heck of it . I might do a video of the pour Nm ..
I set up another door across the back of the boat and pre wet all the pieces before installation . Kind of a Chinese fire drill but it went ok ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam, nice prep work on the stringer. Glad to hear you made progress on the glass work! I'd love to see a a video on how you pour this one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I like cartoons with my videos!!!!:eyebrows::whoo::peace:

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I say I say, I like Foghorn leghorn myself...

:thumb: Sam...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Update .. Yesterday I set up a work station where everything was within a foot shuffle or two .. No climbing in and out ..

This was yesterdays work before it got dark on me .

Finished up the stringer then tabbed in the transom today with a layer of csm and this really thick 6" biaxle that Lisa gave me that was left over from Charles's boat ..
Don't no what weight this is but it sure drank up the resin ..

I've used a little over half a 5 gal bucket so far ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Also got a package today ! I had the guards on stand by just in case a puma jumped out or something ..

Luckily no wild animals but it was the ladder I ordered the other day ..

It is made for a 13 deg transom But as you can see mine is only about 9.5 deg ..

I will have to make a little wedge mount deal on the transom for it .. I really like the ladder it recesses out of the way into the transom .. :cool:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, I have to ask, is the red tape there to just hold the parts in place or is there some other reason? I see you use red tape and was just wondering... Yes that 5 gallon bucket looks like a lot until you start tabbing and such. It seems to disappear quite quickly then... You need a bucket pouring setup.

Bucket Pour-22rs.jpg

I made one of these and it is amazing how easily you can pour precise amounts using it...