"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well I was going to do some glassing today but when i got home I realized that I don't have a drop of acetone .. :doh:
So instead I started to make the forms for the stringers .

Made up a little jig out of some carp I had laying around to mark the height ..

Ain,t this how they made the pyramids ! :rolleyes:
Anywho I think it will work pretty well ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually did the same thing with a 2 X 4 across the hull and a jig I made to make certain my floor would come out completely flat. But every time I took measurements, they didn't work out correct. And I did this for a few days over and over and couldn't figure out why the measurement were off so far. Then I made the revelation that my side rails at the top of my sides were not flat but arched up in the middle of the hull almost 2". Wow, and I fought that problem without being able to see it until I stretched a line from front to back. So after making that find, I managed to revamp the floor and everything fell into place and flat now. You look like you have things going in the right direction already...interesting to see. Keep posting. I like to see others build their boats and so I can get new and different ideas. Oh and if you don't have Acetone, try Lacquer Thinner. It works equally well and really doesn't evaporate as quickly either... :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks like you are moving along! I did miss Morgan a little different (I think based on what I'm seeing). I made the form higher than the final product, laid up the sides, then cut them to height. I did a messy layup for sure, the top part of it wasn't all that great, but the part below where i cut it off was solid. I notched the braces, and used the bottom of them for a reference for the deck height. I probably way over thought it!

this was after I cut it down, did the seacast and capped it.

Is your plan to built it to height, then pour it, or to build it taller than it needs to be and cut it down? figuring out this kind of detailing is always fun, there is always the better mouse trap out there!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
gm, My top rail is also curved only about a half inch . So I just marked both ends and struck a line ..
arch , yea I was debating on glassing them higher then cutting them off . Then I just decided to cut them to height then make sure I glass all the way to the top or just a 1/4" or so more then carefully grind it down to the top of the form .. I plan on bedding them in to the hull on the sides just like you would for a reg wood stringer..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice work there Sam. It look pretty good and solid again. Rebuilding is interesting and most definitely way better then grinding fiberglass... :facepalm:

Keep up the great work and posting your results... I am certainly interested and watching as well... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! I picked up some acetone Gave the transom a real good acetone bath and laid a layer of csm on .. Not so much for strength but to cover all the holes and to make sure of a good bond for the seacast . Thought about putting some 1808 on but I guess that would be overkill and not really needed ..
Been giving some thought on how to proceed with the project . I need to install some wood backing along the glass formed rolled rub rail area .. A 2x2 fits in there nicely with a little play for some pb glue .. Should I rip plywood pieces and put in or if I use a 2x2 what type of wood should I use .. Just some yellow pine or spruce ? And do you think I should turn some glass down onto the side of the gunwale/tab it in ?
I think this will be easier to do if I wait till I flip the boat after I install the deck .. That way gravity will be my friend in the process .. ;)
So the way I see it I'll install transom/stringers /and deck .. Flip ,wood around rail then start prepping the hull for new gell coat :eek: .. Maybe ... Finish the bottom then flip back and finish the rest of the inside ..
Sound like a plan ?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam I think I know what you are planning on the backing, but do you have a picture that illustrates it? I have that goofly turned down edge on my deck to deal with this weekend. I was thinking the same thing, what kind of wood? I'm leaning towards some Douglas fir, the wood boat guys use it some for frames and bulkheads. Think I;m going to pick up a 2x8 and cut my pieces out of it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok that makes more sense to me now. I think your plan sounds good, I would put that piece in upside down for sure. Otherwise you'll have a mess for sure!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam. I was thinking about the door you used for layup this morning. It was just your typical matt finish on the plastic laminate right? I wish I would have thought about it, we just finished up a hotel where i had them replace a gazzion plastic laminate doors....should have had my thinking cap on and salvaged one for a layup table.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Cor !
Yea arch we chunk doors like that away all the time .. Every now and then I will throw one in the truck . They make great work tables but these rated doors are HEAAAVVVYY !! :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Cor !
Yea arch we chunk doors like that away all the time .. Every now and then I will throw one in the truck . They make great work tables but these rated doors are HEAAAVVVYY !! :eek:

Sam, seems you have struck a cord with a following about your fiberglass layout on the door. Since it works nicely and others, including myself, have never seen that done before, you have a wide ranging audience. You are on the cutting edge and I like it... :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I used to have a oak skinned one for a work bench.....nice and solid! Just make sure you don't take the lead lined xray door home, lol! We speced a 4'x7' for Doctors office a while back.....I think the superintendent is still mad ad me lol! Looking forward to your progress, hope you weather is nice there.....looks like Scotland here!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
We usually don't have to deal with the lead lined doors but the frames and the drywall are our responsibility . Had to hang some 10' 3/16 fully lined rock once .. Ended up cutting it in half to hang and laminating 1/4" drywall over it to get it to finish good ..

No boat work today . But who needs to do fun boat stuff when ya can can spend the day up on the roof in summertime Florida !

Glad thats over with ! Did the whole roof and didn't get a drop of roofing bull on me ! :lie: