"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Under the deck ? Was it hydrolic ?

Trying to come up with idea's on the layout .. This is what I was thinking sort of ..

The X's will be removable swivel short post seats . The helm seat would be fixed position . Small hatch on either side of the outside seats for bait and live wells . The center would make like a T and would be storage . Small splash but open across the whole stern area so you can walk from one side to the other .. Or I could do something completely different and maybe add a polling platform over the motor ..

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yes mine was under the deck but not hydraulic you can see on page 40 from the link on bottom of my page

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Oh you'll be popping ideas in your head the whole time you're grinding. That's the nature of the beast! Looking Good Sam. Let's see that's like 3 boat projects/threads at one time. Send me some of that juice! LOL!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I think one of these on the back would eliminate a bunch of fab work and running steering lines,..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sphelps, I guess you're talking about 24 and 36 grit flapper disks. I used 80 grit for my grinding and while the actually grinding went fairly smooth, it seemed to take a long time to finish my tri-hull. I think I grinded on her for about a week off and mostly on. And the dust was amazing too. I couldn't imagine that much fiberglass dust from grinding the hull in prep for rebuild. It was my first time so it was an experience to me. I think you probably know all about such grind though. It wasn't like it was that hard to grind as there was some much surface areas to grind. But that is behind me now and I need to go to the poly place and pick up the many gallons to put her back together again... I am watching your latest project to see what you do with her... I can easily see a very nice fishing boat there myself.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Minch, I remember now how you ran the raceway and it looks like it worked very well . My only problem is I don't have the under deck space on this little tri-hull to fit a large pipe .. The hamster is still turning the wheel though ....

jig , Yep just trying to postpone the inevitable grinding of the zolatone .. That's some tuff stuff !!

kc, yea the wheel is always turning .. I guess I'll need to break out one of my contemplating chairs for many of my thinking /cold bev breaks .. :D

Teamster , still trying to figure out the pro and cons of having a tiller set up ... Having to sit back there and hang on to the outboard to me just doesn't sound like to much fun .. Then again it does open up a LOT of space to be used for fishing .... Btw , if it weren't for the plexiglass transom extension on the boat in the vid I think that thing would be sitting on the bottom of the lake by now .. :eek:

gm280 , not using the flapper disks , using the regular sanding disks with the plastic backer pad The 24 grit really cuts fast but ya have to be careful not to cut through the hull ..

Got a touch of the flu bug that jumped on me yesterday .. This kinda stinks ! Get a weekend off and ya feel like carp ! :sick:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
With the Power Tiller Steering system that Mercury has running a tiller, Even a big one really is effortless,........

The plexiglass splash guards are simply that, splash guards, In the upper mid-west many tiller guys back-troll with them to better control speeds,.......
That means backing into the waves, The splash guards keep you from getting soaked when dong that,..

The other thing to remember is the smoothest ride is at the back of the boat,..

Although running is a cross wind means you'll probably get wet,..........

All kinds of pros and cons,.......

I like the simplicity and openness of a tiller boat,..

That said, my current fishing boat had a funny round shaped thing called a steering wheel,.......

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Got a touch of the flu bug that jumped on me yesterday .. This kinda stinks ! Get a weekend off and ya feel like carp ! :sick:
I know that experience well these past couple years my friend. Seems to always work out that way. Hope you feel better soon! 2 weeks ago I had a weekend off, 1st time in 3 months, weekend turned into 2 weeks after they took out my gallbladder!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Minch, I remember now how you ran the raceway and it looks like it worked very well . My only problem is I don't have the under deck space on this little tri-hull to fit a large pipe .. The hamster is still turning the wheel though ....
So how much under deck space DO you have. How about running two pipes on either side of the keel. One for the steering and one for the wiring???:noidea:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! That's pretty cool ! I think it's only rated up to a 40hp though ..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Be sure to wear a minimum of a good dust mask when working on these old rotters, the mold/mildew/spores and all that crappy dust can really make you sick and it'll feel as bad or worse than the flu... you can even get a "send you to the doctor" case of bronchitis from it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
With the Power Tiller Steering system that Mercury has running a tiller, Even a big one really is effortless,........

The plexiglass splash guards are simply that, splash guards, In the upper mid-west many tiller guys back-troll with them to better control speeds,.......
That means backing into the waves, The splash guards keep you from getting soaked when dong that,..

The other thing to remember is the smoothest ride is at the back of the boat,..

Although running is a cross wind means you'll probably get wet,..........

All kinds of pros and cons,.......

I like the simplicity and openness of a tiller boat,..

That said, my current fishing boat had a funny round shaped thing called a steering wheel,.......

Operating a tiller is like trying to steer your car or truck while sitting at the back bumper.

The tiller guys don't troll backwards for speed, it's because they can't see where they're going in forward at low speeds because the bow is raised up so high from all of the weight in the back of the boat.

Tiller guys also have to winch their boat up onto the trailer instead of power loading it because they're lucky to get the boat close enough to the trailer without the forward visibility to winch it on let alone trying to power load it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So how much under deck space DO you have. How about running two pipes on either side of the keel. One for the steering and one for the wiring???:noidea:

That's probably how I'm gunna have to run it . The trick will be to have enough room and the angle right to get the cable to bend around where it needs to be ... I might even raise the deck an inch or two maybe .. When the pipe turns at the transom it will have come out of the deck at at least a 45deg angle for the cable to loop around to the motor . I have an old cable laying around so I can use it for a test run before the deck goes in ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Be sure to wear a minimum of a good dust mask when working on these old rotters, the mold/mildew/spores and all that crappy dust can really make you sick and it'll feel as bad or worse than the flu... you can even get a "send you to the doctor" case of bronchitis from it.

yep, working in all the hospitals that I do the topic of mold spores are a big item we discuss . I am using a half face respirator with the boat outside . I do have my eye on a full faced one i,m thinking on getting though ..

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Operating a tiller is like trying to steer your car or truck while sitting at the back bumper.

The tiller guys don't troll backwards for speed, it's because they can't see where they're going in forward at low speeds because the bow is raised up so high from all of the weight in the back of the boat.

Tiller guys also have to winch their boat up onto the trailer instead of power loading it because they're lucky to get the boat close enough to the trailer without the forward visibility to winch it on let alone trying to power load it.

So you've never fished out of a tiller boat???

There are no issues steering the boat from the back.

Tiller guys backtroll to control the speed of there presentation,......

And I've never know a tiller guy to have trouble power loading where power loading is legal,.....

Like I said, You don't have a clue,......................................................................................

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
So you've never fished out of a tiller boat???

There are no issues steering the boat from the back.

Tiller guys backtroll to control the speed of there presentation,......

And I've never know a tiller guy to have trouble power loading where power loading is legal,.....

Like I said, You don't have a clue,......................................................................................

I've fished out of and operated plenty of tillers and have owned a couple, that's why I said what I said, and I hate hate hate them for the reasons I said.

Tillers are ok if you can't afford anything else, but the vast majority of tiller owners (usually their first boat) move up to a console steering as soon as they can afford it... and for the reasons I stated. That's why tiller boats are a minority on the water.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I've fished out of and operated plenty of tillers and have owned a couple, that's why I said what I said, and I hate hate hate them for the reasons I said.

Tillers are ok if you can't afford anything else, but the vast majority of tiller owners (usually their first boat) move up to a console steering as soon as they can afford it... and for the reasons I stated. That's why tiller boats are a minority on the water.

Tillers are not in the minority in the upper mid-west,.....

Friends of mine have made there living tournament walleye fishing out of tiller boats,........

I can't wait to move into a tiller as soon as I can afford it,.....