"Save The Manatee "

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam unless you are going for stripes or two colors I would stay with the single stage. I did the base clear on Miss Morgan because of having two colors on the cap. Makes it easier if you are "striping" a single panel. On Fuggly I just shot everything above the rail teal again, so the single stage worked fine with a clean line to tape off at the rubrail. You can however add clear over the single stage if you want. Single stage just cuts down on the number of times you walk around and shoot the boat. That said, a metalic always color sand out best with a clear top coat....um if you want to get that um detailed....I won't mention names....:facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think I'll save the detailing for the go fast boat ... ;)
The Manatee is just for fishing ... I'm sure it will find a few oyster beds by accident ..LOL !
Friday the 13th strikes ... Was headed to the paint store but had a blow out on the interstate .. Nothing like changing a tire with cars and big a_ _ trucks flying bye .:eek: . Didn't get there in time before they closed ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Picked up the primer and paint today .. I got the Delfleet Essential .
Gal of white ,qt of a blueish green looking color, Hardener ,slow activator , gal of primer surfacer ,hardener and activator for that also.
Got the big yellow compressor hooked up .. Just need to get a dryer/filter for it and just maybe shoot some primer this weekend .. :)

zool

Captain
Picked up the primer and paint today .. I got the Delfleet Essential .
Gal of white ,qt of a blueish green looking color, Hardener ,slow activator , gal of primer surfacer ,hardener and activator for that also.
Got the big yellow compressor hooked up .. Just need to get a dryer/filter for it and just maybe shoot some primer this weekend .. :)

How was the pricing on it Sam,? Im thinking of using white and red for the CM, mostly white.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gal white . Gal primer , qt. Blue , with all hardener and activator 322.00 bucks .
Dark colors and metallics are a little more .

zool

Captain
Gal white . Gal primer , qt. Blue , with all hardener and activator 322.00 bucks .
Dark colors and metallics are a little more .

Nice, just one gal of white PPG concept is $317 without the additives.....looks like im going essential too :)

Thanks!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
100 bucks a gal for white . May find it cheaper online idk ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That isn't bad, think I paid $450 or so for a qt of white, 2 qts of sealer and 3 qts of the blue on Fuggly. I am interested to see how it sprays.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No primer today guys .. Took a better look at the hull in the light and boy did it need more sanding .. Been feeling bad with a bug also .. I did hit some bad spots with 80 grit then went over everything with 150 then down to 220 ... Much better .. The primer said to sand between 180-240 ...
I was gunna shoot it out in the lean too shed but I think i'm gunna paint in the garage instead ... Gunna work this week clearing things and putting the boat on the trailer to make the move ..
Have a great week everyone !!

zool

Captain
Speaking of bugs, how are the flying critters there this time of year?, theyre still bad here, 2 weeks ago I had 2 flies land on fresh clear on an Audi hood i painted, then one of the bastards zig zigged about 12 inches till he died!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Late afternoon right before dark the mosquitoes are REALLY bad !!! We are supposed to get a cold front coming through so hopefully that will kill most of em ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Still no primer yet ... Had to work Saturday so I made the move to the garage today ... Took a little time though .. I moved the MFG over to the lean too shelter .
Gunna leave the Wagemaker in the garage and just cover it up good for the painting ... I'll sure be glad when this part is over with ....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey Sam, I thought you LOVED to paint.:faint2:
Wait a minute I was thinking of some other guy.
Looking forward to the pics. I hope you and yours are all doing well. I'm still not all Moved in and losing my 600 square ft. shop has become a Big Pain!!!!
Take care and I hope you have some nice dry days and good temps to shoot the paint.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Mike I do enjoy painting ... It's all the stuff leading up to shooting that is a pain ! :D It has cooled down down here a bit . Highs in the upper 60's tomorrow ..:smow:
Bummer about the no shop ... I'm sure you'll get that worked out before too long ..

zool

Captain
It has cooled down down here a bit . Highs in the upper 60's tomorrow ..:smow:

Its low 50's daily here now, and my fairing is still curing a day later..feels like eminent doom for my painting without a heater.......I cant wait to move to Fl....:fish2:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You moving down here Zool? Don't forget to pack some bug spray ! :lol:
Gunna try and shoot some primer after work tomorrow if I can get out of there soon enough .. Been a long time since I painted anything with the hvlp ...
Hope I remember how to do it .. What does it mean the air pressure at the air cap ? the pressure going into the gun or coming out of the tip ?
I have 4 tips for the Devilbiss gun . FLG-332-13K /15K/18K, /and 22K ... Primer sheet says use between 1.3 - 1.7 tip .. So should I try the 15K tip I have or the 18K ?
Not sure how those numbers relate to tip size ... :facepalm: