"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Temps in the 60's last night .. Gunna be Chamber of commerce weather down here today .. 70's and sunny .. :joyous:
Got the boat loaded on the trailer and pulled out in the sun .. With the plastic on the pva did not completely dry .. Debating on taking the plastic off ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Temps in the 60's last night .. Gunna be Chamber of commerce weather down here today .. 70's and sunny .. :joyous:
Got the boat loaded on the trailer and pulled out in the sun .. With the plastic on the pva did not completely dry .. Debating on taking the plastic off ...

Sam, I have been watching your progress with this one to see how it all works out. Sounds like me when I mixed up my very first polyester resin and I used the exact mixtures the company suggested. And it took about three days or longer to finally cure. And I was sweating bullets until it did. I mean I really don't know how hard it would have been to get all that uncured resin off the hull... :facepalm: But it did finally cure and then I changed up my mixture rates to something that was reasonable. No problems since. So you are the test bed for this procedure for me. Post away those pictures. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
After a few days of drying my paper is still gumming up ... :grumpy: Gunna give it more time and see what happens . Once I get down past most of the OP it doesn't gum up as bad .. I think I'll give it a soap and water bath .. Maybe there is still traces of the pva . idk ... I've only washed with water so far ..
Just a bit frustrating ....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to hear your issues, Sam, with this gel coat adventure. But I know you will prevail and it will all work out in the end. But I am learning a lot with your efforts. So keep posting them. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Does it feel tacky to the touch? Not sure if it'll work with Gelcoat but...with Poly resin, I've sprinkled it with Talcum Powder and then sanded and it helped it from gumming up the paper. Don't forget the tennis shoe trick;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Does it feel tacky to the touch? Not sure if it'll work with Gelcoat but...with Poly resin, I've sprinkled it with Talcum Powder and then sanded and it helped it from gumming up the paper. Don't forget the tennis shoe trick;)

WOG, is that trick where you wear one tennis shoe and hop around while sanding, OR use the shoe to clean out the paper. I forget now... :doh:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Maybe a little tacky but not much .. I'll try the talcum powder trick and see what happens ... Idk if I have an old shoe ... One with a white sole I guess ... Maybe the Admiral Has an old pair I could steal ...:heh: Who else would have multiple pairs of shoes that never get wore ... :noidea:
I've had the flu bug for the last few days .. I hate being sick .... I did get the trailer most of the way took apart getting ready for some rehab ...

Decker83

Commander
Take a rag and acetone and wipe down a small area and let dry.. Then try sanding in the small area.. The acetone should remove the uncured gel..
I had to do that on a boat I did back in the 80's..
Get well soon..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, I honestly don't know how you can sand while being sick. When I get sick, it takes everything I can do to walk to the bathroom. You need to nurse your illness and then work on the boat...in that order. Unless you have others doing the boat work, it will be there when you are better. :deadhorse:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'll give that a try Decker ...
gm, not really working on it ... Just experimentation to see how it's curing .. If I lay around too much my back starts to get stiff and hurt so I feel better when I get up and move around for a bit ...
The boss had to tell me to take off to get better .. Luckily I just finished up the project I was in charge off .. Nothing left but the punch list once it comes out ...
Day time TV stinks .. Did I mention I hate being sick ! :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hope you get to feeling better Sam. Damn those architects and their punch list! I had a sea ray I named punch list....always started conversations with construction people at the beach, lol.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As usual SP nice work! I've been watching and taking notes of your progress.:thumb: Hope you feel better soon!!!:miserable:

I was laughing at the thought of WOG hopping around with one shoe and sanding.:laugh: I wonder were they gum shoes, or any old pair of tennis shoes, or maybe some wooden clogs.:doh::noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sooo...that's where my shoe went!!!

Yea that's why I am presently walking in circles. I used my tennis shoe and ground it down too much. But since I only have one pair, make that one and one half of a shoe now, I keep walking in circles. :facepalm:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
+1 what WoG said!!! I got one of them too. Works really well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Starting to get a system down .... I have one side sanded down to 1000 grit not counting the hull bottom .. And the transom sanded ..
I have been using 150 and 220 grit with the RO sander to get most of the OP .. Then 500/1000 by hand wet ...Other than having to de-gum frequently this seems to be working pretty well ... I did sand through on the transom once however .. :facepalm: No biggie just on the edge where the motor sits ...
Gotta work this weekend so may not be able to get to it much other than an hour or so before it gets dark ... Big game at 4 pm tomorrow ! :couch2:
Go Gators !! :croc: