"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
.I also wouldn't add tabbing at this point, the fairing will be tedious...

Thats what I,m leaning towards ...

Picked up 5'er #4 today . Hopefully it will be enough to finish .. .. Laid up some filler layers on the transom to level things out a bit .. Had a little resin left in the cup so I decided to try out some of the glass bubbles .. I have never used any for fairing so I need to figure out the consistency that will work well ..
How much wax should I put in the mix ? % ?

zool

Captain
Nah its fiberglass dust that keeps shingles, chickenpox and about anything else away, including the IRS....just surround yourself in a protective cloud! :D

Well ive tried everything else, may as well send the irs a bag of grinding dust..couldn't hurt at this point Arch :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nah your just toss the fiberglass dust into the make up air intake at their office.......they will be wondering why they are itching for weeks! :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nah your just toss the fiberglass dust into the make up air intake at their office.......they will be wondering why they are itching for weeks! :D

You may get a visit from the fellas in the flat black coppers....... tossing suspicious white powder around in a guv-mint office......

For fairing, add bubbles til its a creamy mayo consistancy, to fill a deeper area, slightly thicker mix w more bubbles.

zool

Captain
You may get a visit from the fellas in the flat black coppers....... tossing suspicious white powder around in a guv-mint office......

Maybe its just me, but from my perspective, it looks like theres plenty of white powder floating around guv-mint office, John :rolleyes:

I know, Ill behave :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Thats what I,m leaning towards ...

Picked up 5'er #4 today . Hopefully it will be enough to finish .. .. Laid up some filler layers on the transom to level things out a bit .. Had a little resin left in the cup so I decided to try out some of the glass bubbles .. I have never used any for fairing so I need to figure out the consistency that will work well ..
How much wax should I put in the mix ? % ?
Here's my recipe for making Fairing Material...250ml resin, 60ml cabosil, 250ml 3M Glass Bubbles, 2.5ml MEKP 15ml Acetone 3ml of Surfacing Wax. I like it to be just a bit thicker than Ketchup.;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Here's my recipe for making Fairing Material...250ml resin, 60ml cabosil, 250ml 3M Glass Bubbles, 2.5ml MEKP 15ml Acetone 3ml of Surfacing Wax. I like it to be just a bit thicker than Ketchup.;)

So condiments are now entering the recipes... :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'll give the ketchup recipe a try .. ;)
Stopped and picked up a sheet of 3/4" Marine grade ply on the way home today ... The place I got it from has quite the selection .. They carry in stock 1/4 ,3/8, 1/2 ,5/8 ,3/4, and 1" m/g ... They also have teak and mahogany ..:)
So I am getting ready to install the wood around the edges . The sides are still very flimsy so I I figured I would install some 2x's by tabbing them into the inside sides of the gunwales . That will help keep its shape as I glass the wood in place .. Gunna leave them in until after I flip it back over then cut them out ..
Pulled a string line down the center and will align that with the dead center of the 2x's . That way the sides will be the same distance from center on each side while i do the glassing .. Should work out ok ..

The Admiral is in semi panic mode as usual about the storm heading up the coast .. I told her if the tide comes up we can just ride it out in the MFG ... :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam your idea with the center line is exactly what I did. Works really good too. You make sure to be watching the weather reports and stay safe. I don't think this storm is very large or intense, but anything can happen. Be safe... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The storm kind if fizzled out for the most part .. Did get to catch a bit of surf yesterday though . :joyous:
Got started cutting the plywood around the rubrail edges .. Just a couple more pieces to go ...

Still need to do some more grinding down in the U shaped groove . I have found that a wire wheel on the angle grinder has worked the best so far getting the gell off .. I think I am suffering from a case of grinder shoulder.. The ol rotater cups are hurting ! All the paddling at the beach yesterday prolly didn't help much either ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The storm kind if fizzled out for the most part .. Did get to catch a bit of surf yesterday though . :joyous:

Come to my house anytime and I'll fire up the tractor and take you "Surfin" any time you want!!!:eek::D;)

Your work is outstanding as ALWAYS!!!!:clap2:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Got the r/r edge wood all pb'ed in place ... It was to far to nursemans house to borrow some clamps so I had to improvise ..

One more step complete ! :)
Also just mixed up some WOG catsoup recipe ... A little runny for the vertical transom application But should work good for the horizontal surfaces ..
Should I add more g/b or cabosil to thicken it up .. g/b should make it easier to sand right ?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
are those steel bars? I have a collection of 2' sections of rail track.....why my grandpa got them for free, and you never turn down anything that is free! Works great to sit on anything you don't want to move......ever! Nice work as usual!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Those are brick paver cut offs ... Not quite as heavy as steel bars but enough to keep things smushed down ...Funny how some things ya just hang onto for some reason .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, Being an avid ammo reloader, I collected a ton (at least) of lead over the years and melted the lead down to 2 pound bars (in a mold of course) and amazing to see how many uses they have come in for doing things in the shop. I literally have at least a ton of molded bars laying around for bullet molding when I run out. And if I want to weight something down, and have run out of clamps, then lead bars are my first choice. So I can see keeping things like you have for the same reasons. Your project is coming along really nice... :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Glass bubbles will be MUCH easier to sand than cabosil! BTW, I like the use of the concrete blocks!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Glass bubbles will be MUCH easier to sand than cabosil!!

Yep finally got the mixture working where I want it .. Got a coat on just about everything and half of that sanded ... This is the first time sense starting on the bottom that I feel like I have gotten something done ..
Headed down to mouseville for a few days thursday so no boat work for a while ... :pout:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks fs !
Got back from our trip .. Stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort at W/D ... Nice place !
Just resting my feet before being on them all day ..

So much to do and see down there but it will sure wear ya out !

Glad to be home ! Maybe a little boat work today ...;)