"Save The Manatee "

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gm , the deck is not quite as smooth as plywood and the csm going on first will give better adhesion . And laying it down wet on wet will let me turn the mat side up on the 1708 for a little better finish on the topside and aid in other tabbing s for different things later on . Hope that makes sense ....

Yea, that does make sense now. I was just wondering because I couldn't tell the actual texture of the solent green layer. I like your work ethics and am watching for sure. Not to criticizes, but to learn... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That was painful ! Csm and 1708 down .. Working by yourself on a big area is a little tiring . It never goes perfectly . At least not for me ...
But glad it's down and one step closer to flipping .. The worst part was me sweating all over the glass before i could wet it out .. The little white splotches down the center was the water pouring out of me .. I don't think it will hurt anything but it's just ugly .. Well the whole thing is ugly, but from here on out any of my imperfections on this build will be referred to as "prop scars" and is just the nature of this Save the Manatee thread .. ;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hate that when I sweat on my work! Drives me nuts.....that is the bad thing about this time of year!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeh ,it was 90 deg under the shelter .. A little cooler than it,s been .:eek:. The bow section I did from out of the boat so no sweat splotches ... I guess I should have used my longer roller handle and done the whole thing from outside .. Leaning over the edge is pretty rough on my back ..
I may go ahead and put a layer of glass on the sides of the gunwales just to stiffen it up some before the flip . I also want to do some work on the out side of the transom where the swim ladder is going .. I want to temp install the ladder to get it all tapered nice around the mounting flange so I can gell the whole boat on the outside while it's upside down ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay seems I'm not the only one dripping sweat on my work. I actually wondered if sweat harms the poly or the strength. I even wear a head ban to help stop that. But I can overwhelm a head ban in mere minutes. Sam I totally understand the one man work problems. Thus far me, myself and I have been the only workers on my project. So I totally understand doing large areas and making them lay out correctly. So I try to section them up and make overlaps. With CSM you really can't tell with the overlaps... At the rate you are moving along, you will certainly finish your project before I will. Nice work... :thumb:

FLfishing

Recruit
Thanks sphelps,
I was looking into SEACAST or that keay enterprise. After looking at both web pages I think I am going to go with SEACAST.
I called and talked to both places and i got more n better help with the lady I talked to at SEACAST. Their pourable stuff looks and sounds WAY BETTER.
SEACAST has better test results their max load is 10 times more and they have a all around better mix.... This Keay stuff looks like something my kid could make. SEACAST may cost more but all the help they give you and that it is much stronger is well worth it. Just knowing that I am going with something that has been around longer then any of the other company's gives me piece of mind. SEACAST says that I would NEVER have to do this again I am happy with that. So thanks again

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sam your kicking some A double scribble and looing nice! Those little white things are called "Sweat Equity" Great idea on the ply floor too!
:pride:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone !
FLfishing , Welcome aboard ! This is my second boat that I have used seacast in . No problems so far only a lot lighter in my back pocket ! :eek:
If I had not run into the the other stuff I would have went with marine grade ply for the deck because seacast was gunna cost WAY too much for just a little 15 ft boat.. I don't mind the extra cost on the transom and stringers because those are the hardest things to replace .. The green stuff is actually not that bad of a product for what it is . I like the fact that it,s really light weight . After the glass went on it felt pretty strong under my feet .. Hopefully it holds up .. We shall see ..
When you start your project make sure you start a thread on it . This is a great community here with plenty of very knowledgeable folks willing to help out !

Arch , Is there any other color than white ? :D I may bring in some blue or something or maybe a nice vinyl Manatee sticker down each side along the upper back . Where is Gus when ya need him with his photo paint shop skills ! Any one heard from him lately ...I miss having our miami brother around . Hopefully he is doing well ..

Anyhoo one little step closer to flip . I temp installed the ladder tube at the angle I wanted .. Mixed up some tiger hair PB to fill in around the mounting flange so I could finish the gell on the transom with the rest of the boat ..

I may have to work Saturday but hopefully I can squeeze in the flip before the weekend is over ..
Later everyone !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone !
FLfishing , Welcome aboard ! This is my second boat that I have used seacast in . No problems so far only a lot lighter in my back pocket ! :eek:
If I had not run into the the other stuff I would have went with marine grade ply for the deck because seacast was gunna cost WAY too much for just a little 15 ft boat.. I don't mind the extra cost on the transom and stringers because those are the hardest things to replace .. The green stuff is actually not that bad of a product for what it is . I like the fact that it,s really light weight . After the glass went on it felt pretty strong under my feet .. Hopefully it holds up .. We shall see ..
When you start your project make sure you start a thread on it . This is a great community here with plenty of very knowledgeable folks willing to help out !

Arch , Is there any other color than white ? :D I may bring in some blue or something or maybe a nice vinyl Manatee sticker down each side along the upper back . Where is Gus when ya need him with his photo paint shop skills ! Any one heard from him lately ...I miss having our miami brother around . Hopefully he is doing well ..

Anyhoo one little step closer to flip . I temp installed the ladder tube at the angle I wanted .. Mixed up some tiger hair PB to fill in around the mounting flange so I could finish the gell on the transom with the rest of the boat ..

I may have to work Saturday but hopefully I can squeeze in the flip before the weekend is over ..
Later everyone !

I think you will beat me in the flip Sam. I'm not quite ready yet but close.

I too have been wondering where Gus has been. I enjoyed reading and seeing his work on his Bass boat. Anybody know anything about him? :noidea:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I got an email from Gus a couple weeks ago, busy but doing well.

Looking great Sam. Ladder mount should be plenty stout.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I got an email from Gus a couple weeks ago, busy but doing well.

Looking great Sam. Ladder mount should be plenty stout.

Thanks jbcurt00, I really enjoyed reading and watching Gus's progress and was hoping he was well and going to post again...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Good to here GT is still kicking !
Gunna try and flip tomorrow after work If I can get sil to drop by Was thinking about putting a layer of glass on the inside of the gunwales before flipping but I think I will just wait .. Once I fab up and glass whatever I install to stiffen the sides of the boat up it will have a couple of layers on it anyway ..
I think the boat is light enough to flip over by standing on it's transom . I have an old bench seat I can lay down to cushion it during the flip . It may be a bit scary though while it's in the space shuttle position .. :eek: :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I did the barrel roll with Miss Morgan......but she had her top on :D. I think we need video of this!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Good to here GT is still kicking !
Gunna try and flip tomorrow after work If I can get sil to drop by Was thinking about putting a layer of glass on the inside of the gunwales before flipping but I think I will just wait .. Once I fab up and glass whatever I install to stiffen the sides of the boat up it will have a couple of layers on it anyway ..
I think the boat is light enough to flip over by standing on it's transom . I have an old bench seat I can lay down to cushion it during the flip . It may be a bit scary though while it's in the space shuttle position .. :eek: :D

Okay, near ready to flip the hull I see. I don't think my boat flip is going to be so easy. I added some weight and my wife can't help with it at all. HOWEVER, I have two adult sons that are easily 6' 5" and weight to be even bigger then the average. They can help me flip the hull... Sam, make sure you take pictures... I will be watching... :thumb: