1708 Fiberglass

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
Boat Floor #5.jpg Boat Floor #5.jpg Which side goes down the shiny slick side or the rough glass side. I am putting this on the inside bottom of my boat and then the flooring will cover it up. Thank you for any help. Tex51

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well that depends. If you are using poly then the dull side down first. If you are using EEEEEpoxy then it's been said to place the shiny side down. Pics, application, type of boat/materials would actually help to get you better answers.
Welcome aboard.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't quote me on this, but I was under the impression that 1708 was the name of a two fiberglass material sewn together. One being 17oz woven fiberglass material sewn to a .8oz CSM (chopped Strand Mat) material, hence the 1708 nomenclature... But that could be wrong on my part too...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep woven cloth w csm stitched to the back.

For poly, mat side down to provide a resin rich binder layer to ensure good adhesion to the surface its being applied to...

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
1708 glass that I have is a two part sewn together with one side shinny and slick. The other side is glass strands and is rough. I am using a MAX BOND low viscosity industrial strength adhesive. Mix the two part equally and roll it on or at least that is my plan. I will wipe the inside down with a cleaner. Thank you for the help. I can all ways us it. This is my first real fiber glass attempt, but I guess you all ready figured that out . Thanks Tex51

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I also have read that you can use the 1708 cloth side (shiny side) down with epoxy. If you haven't already bought the 1708, you might want to consider regular 17oz biaxial cloth (with no mat stitched to the back), or even two layers of 8.9 oz biaxial cloth. I don't have much epoxy experience, but that is what has been recommended by others on the forum who have plenty of experience with it. Just my two cents worth.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Just my opinion but 1708 is much better suited to poly repairs. If I had 1708 and epoxy I think I would still just get some 17oz mat and use the 1708 on a different project or sell it.

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like I bought two good products but not to be used together. 1708 uses a different glue than epoxy and epoxy glue works better with a different glass. That's about my norm. I got the cart in front of the horse. I think the biaxial cloth would be cheaper to but than the glue. Back to the store I go.:)

jbcurt00

Staff member
SOME 1708 is compatible w/ epoxy...... If you can return it, great, but if not, confirm it's compatible w/ epoxy

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Back to the beginning.

All 1708 can be used with epoxy, it just wastes some money and adds some weight by sucking up more epoxy, although using it mat side up on the last layer does help to create a smoother surface. Other than that there is no need for the CSM stitched to it when using epoxy.

Don't call it cloth, cloth is a totally different product, it's not mat either. Normally products like this are called biax or fabric, fabric being a very generic term that includes many types of fibers, knits, weaves, etc. Cloth is a rather fine woven product, made in weights up to around 10oz's, at 18oz's a very similar product is called roving

1708 without the CSM (the 08 part) is just 1700, but depending the manufacturer could be labeled a little different. It comes in many different weights 17 oz is just a common one, I have a roll of 60 oz, and you can get it at over 100 oz weights.

In your application 1700 would be your best bet if you can get it, but other weights will work.

I only wanted to get the terms used back in line so when other people read this looking for advise everyone knows what products are being discussed, it can be tough enough to learn about a whole new world of products, and even tougher when the terms used to identify products get a little mixed up.

Last edited:

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you and now even a novice knows the difference. When I put the wood flooring back in the boat and hide this other biax. The best glass to use to glass the wood floor down and I will be encapsulating the whole floor in glass with no wood showing. What is a good glass to use with the epoxy. I have painted all the wood for the floor with epoxy paint and that is top and bottom.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Check out this link and do a little reading. Good info.,,,,,,uscomposites
1700 biaxial/no mat is good

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
So if you're doing a Deck in Epoxy there's really no need for Glass Fabric except on the edges to tie it into the hull sides. A Layer of 8.5ox biax would do that nicely. 2-3 coats of epoxy on both sides of the plywood and edges will seal the wood adequately and due to epoxy's characteristics it will flex and not break without the benefit of the glass. I Does need to be covered since it has NO UV protectants soo paint, carpet, vinyl or some other covering is required.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wog ,
Just to clarify. Are you saying no glass on the prepped flat epoxy deck? xcept to the hull liner tabbing?