Source for teak to build a new dash panel?

home-boy

Banned
Working on my old StarCraft and the dash panel is mangled with drill holes, stereo cutouts, etc that looks awful. Maybe beavers chewed it up?

Anyway, I want a flashy dash for the old boat and have been acquiring gauges and such. At first I planned t use faux teak vinyl that wear well in my rentals but mfr says it till not hold up outside.

I need a teak board approx. 6" wide and 6' long with thickness around 1" or so but I am not opposed to laminating a thinner board onto plywood for cost savings and strength as the dash may provide support to the gunwales.

Anyone been down this road already?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could search woodworking sites and magazines. They have tons of exotic woods available from so many different places. However, a 6" by 6' by 1" plank is going to cost a lot of money... Maybe you could use some very good substrate and laminate veneer over the finished panel to save funds. Those types of laminates are also available on woodworking sites and magazines as well. But remember that teak wood is an oily type wood and you have to seriously remove the oil to allow glues to adhere to it... I think lacquer thinner or acetone will work for that.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just google it, craigslist or ebay. Alot of those sites {once you go to them like ebay} provide links to there store/inventory and pricing. You will find everything there that you need and they will ship.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Check for mahogany on craigslist

I found a great resource for mahogany, cherry, walnut and several other species, less then 25min from the house.

Bought 2 8ft long 3/4" ~ 7/8" thick, 12" wide planks of mahogany for $90+/- total.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd recommend veneer. It's fairly inexpensive, fairly easy to do, you can use ext. plywood as your base and contact cement and get some pretty fancy grains.

22ft_century_boat_dash.JPG

Once sealed in epoxy and then several coats of Marine varnish it'll last for decades.