Livewell / Baitwell Build

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Working on a 1981 16 foot Aluminum deep vee Pikemaster boat. At one time there was a livewell. Previous owners removed it. The only reason I know there was a livewell is due to the fill pump in the bottom of the bow and an overflow hole on the port side of the hull.

I?m having a stainless steel tank custom built but plan to do the plumbing and wiring myself.

I?ve done some research but still have a few holes in my answers as to how this all goes together. I?m going to use Flow Rite fittings and hose. I?m open on what pumps to use but in diagrams and drawings of livewell systems they show the pumps with a 90 degree elbow coming out of the bottom of the pumps. But when I look for pumps online to purchase they all have a long straight tube that comes out of the bottom. Is there a fitting that goes on this piece or is it an entirely different pump?

Any insight, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, A very good topic that I too will watch being how I also am planning to install a livewell myself shortly too. While I had livewells in other boats I seriously never thought much about how they were installed to keep from flooding the boat when it was in the water. So I'll watch rather then answer your questions to see how the better educated folks explain such an install...

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Soooo there are fittings that go on the pumps? and they are interchangeable? Do they come WITH the pumps or do I have to buy them separate? If so WHERE?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The fittings on the pumps are interchangeable. Had to change them on my Shur-flo pumps

Dingbat, I understand the basics of fluid flow. So every livewell has to have some type ability to fill the livewell up to a certain level, and also the ability to drain that livewell as well. And I also understand that the livewell will not be sitting perfect to allow both those thing to work with assistance. So you have a transom mounted pump (or any below the water line pump) to fill the livewell. and being how it has to be below the water line to actually work, the pump has to have some type valve to keep from filling the livewell without pumping. I can easily see a 90 degree elbow to stop that from taking place. And the level in the livewell can also have a stand pipe to keep the livewell higher then the water line as well. And IF you wanted to empty that livewell without removing the boat out of the water, you would have to have another pump to empty it with the outlet well above the water line. Is all that correct? Seem to me to be so, but I honestly don't know!

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

This is what I had planned for my system Dingbat. See how the pumps have elbow fittings on the bottom of them?

Attachments

• photo214461.jpg
    photo214461.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I too am planning on adding a livewell to my boat, so I will follow along and learn as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
40 years ago I used to do a LOT of Bass Fishing. Yes there were Boats back then and Yes they were Fiberglass and they even had Livewells!!!:D I was on a lot of different boats and each one seemed to have a different layout as to how their livewells and pumps were configured. I had an old Chrysler Stick Steer boat that I loved cuz she drafted low and could get into places other boats couldn't. She sat kinda high and that was a draw back but I managed to catch a LOT of fish anyway. The Live well was under the Middle seat and was just about the way the pic shows that Spooner2010 posted. The way I look at is, rig it up so water comes in and goes out and it aerates well and you're good to go. But then again, I am an Old Dumb Okie so you might consider THAT!!!!:facepalm:

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW WOG, I have to testify that I too had boats back in the days, and they were fishing boats as well. And even Bass Boats. So I did have live wells in them and even built sprayer systems to aerate the fish but I always used fresh lake water instead of simple recirculation setups. So I built some really nice sprayer bars in the top sections fed via the fill pump. And of course I built live well timer circuits as well. So understanding how a live well is supposed to work, you have to have some type fill pump below the water line to enable you to fill the live well. That's especially true IF your live well is sitting above the waterline. And then you also have to have some over level (overflow) system to keep from filling the live well over the top. I have to admit, I did fill mine over the top a few times (manual fill switched option) even with an overflow setup because my fill pump could fill faster then the overflow setup could empty the water! But back to the setup. And IF you would want to empty the live well, you would have to install another pump to empty the water, otherwise you would not be able to empty it until you pulled the boat out of the water. So one pump for certain. Two for full options. And seeing how these live wells work, It would seem that unless you installed a 90 degree angled fill pipe, the water would bypass the pump (actually flow through it) and partially fill the live well anytime you were in the water. Does everybody view that the same way I do?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The livewell tank in my Alumacraft has 3 fittings. A drain on the bottom which has a plug inside the tank and is routed out to the transom so at speed the plug can be pulled and the tank will drain. Then there is the fitting on the transom to the pump which fills the tank and the 3rd fitting is just an overflow from the tank. Pretty simple really.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Like I said I've seen a LOT of different designs. I've seen thru hull self leveling designs so you only needed an aeration pump. I've seen pump in pump out. I've seen the carry on Home Made from an Ice chest. They all work. Pro's and Con's to all. I guess it just depends on what you want and how you want it to work. Heck I dunno, I'm DUMB and my Brain hurts now!!!!:bi_polo::chargrined:

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think I have the system figured out. It's trying to figure out all the fittings and how I connect to the pumps that has me baffled.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay being how this IS Spooner2010's posted thread, we need to catch him up and allow him to ask questions and understand now. Spooner2010, what are you lost about?

dingbat, I do appreciate your concern about a through the hull pump possibly breaking and such, But you know as well as I that lots of brand new boats are built that way all day long... And as with anything, there is always a possibility for problems. No boat is guaranteed to be problem free at any time on the water... Just the true nature of the beast!

Spooner2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay being how this IS Spooner2010's posted thread, we need to catch him up and allow him to ask questions and understand now. Spooner2010, what are you lost about?

I posted a pic earlier in this thread. That shows the system I intend to put in unless the you guys strongly object. Because I have no clue if that's a good system or not.

It has a fill system. One pump taking water from the stern and pumping it into the tank.

Question 1 - Are you saying water will siphon into the tank through the pump if I don't have some kind of valve blocking it?

Then. That pump in THAT picture shows a 90 degree elbow coming out of the bottom of the pump. But when I look at pumps online to purchase they all have a 6 inch straight threaded tube coming out of the bottom.

Question 2 - Is there a special fitting I have to purchase to do that?

Question 3 - Then how do I anchor the pump to the boat? Are there brackets I buy?

Next it has a Recirc and Pump Out system. The picture shows the pump with a 90 degree elbow going into the side of the tank with a screen on the end of it.

Question 4 - How is that accomplished?

Finally it has a stack pipe that then runs to the stern of the boat that can be pulled out to drain the tank completely.

Question 5 - Are you guys telling me water will Siphon up the drain if I don't have some kind of valve to block it?

Question 6 - And do I have to be going at speed in order to get that water to drain through that system?

I live in Minnesota and the DNR is very sticky about invasive species. They would not be amused if they found I had a tank that doesn't fully drain.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I posted a pic earlier in this thread. That shows the system I intend to put in unless the you guys strongly object. Because I have no clue if that's a good system or not.

It has a fill system. One pump taking water from the stern and pumping it into the tank.

Question 1 - Are you saying water will siphon into the tank through the pump if I don't have some kind of valve blocking it?

Then. That pump in THAT picture shows a 90 degree elbow coming out of the bottom of the pump. But when I look at pumps online to purchase they all have a 6 inch straight threaded tube coming out of the bottom.

Question 2 - Is there a special fitting I have to purchase to do that?

Question 3 - Then how do I anchor the pump to the boat? Are there brackets I buy?

Next it has a Recirc and Pump Out system. The picture shows the pump with a 90 degree elbow going into the side of the tank with a screen on the end of it.

Question 4 - How is that accomplished?

Finally it has a stack pipe that then runs to the stern of the boat that can be pulled out to drain the tank completely.

Question 5 - Are you guys telling me water will Siphon up the drain if I don't have some kind of valve to block it?

Question 6 - And do I have to be going at speed in order to get that water to drain through that system?

I live in Minnesota and the DNR is very sticky about invasive species. They would not be amused if they found I had a tank that doesn't fully drain.

Okay let's see if I can try to answer your question in order.

1. The picture of the system you posted will work for your needs. But look at it this way. You have a live well pump sitting below the actual water line when on the water. That pump has an impellor in it but that is to pump water in one direct and there is no one-way valve to keep water from flowing in past that pump. So that IS why they go with a 90 degree pipe off of such pumps to take the water up above the water line and stop the in flow of water. View it like this. If you have a five gallon bucket and taped into the lower section and installed a pipe in that opening. Water would flow out continuously unless you raised the hose above the outlet AND the water level in the bucket. Then the water would stop flowing after it reaches equilibrium. I hope that makes sense...

2. Not having the actual system you're looking at in front of me, there could be some parts you'll need to accomplish the hookup. But those aren't hard to find parts and you should be able to fit it all together rather easily following their directions.

3. The pump is probably a through the hull type pump and therefore that is how it attaches. There would be no need for other fasteners.

4. Again that 90 degree pipe keeps the water level in the live well at a certain level with that setup. Usually there is some type overflow drain at the top level of where you want the water level. Any thing above that will go out the overflow outlet. So that sets the upper water level.

5. Yes, if you have a drain hole in your live well at the bottom and it is not blocked but lower then the lake water line at your boat, then yes the water will flow in until it find that equilibrium as well. AND if you have that drain open and go boating down the lake, it will syphon out the water and drain the live well. So you have to install a simple plug. Those are everywhere and not much of an issue.

6. NO you will simple take out the drain plug after you are out of the water (or when you arrive home to keep the fish alive) then the water will gravity flow out...

Hope that helps some... Post more ? if you need too.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
I think I have the system figured out. It's trying to figure out all the fittings and how I connect to the pumps that has me baffled.

Hope this helps...
The website has a products link...
In the products section there are 5 pages...somewhere in there are the adapter fittings you would need to convert your pump [ I believe they specifically mention 3 or 4 different pump manufacturer's] to their system of hoses...
My suggestion would be to contact them through their website or phone number, and go over how you want to plumb your system using their products, and I am sure they will be more than happy to help you figure out exactly what fittings and and hoses you would need for your particular set up...

If what you are trying to do is build a system of basically having an on-board aquarium to keep the keepers alive, that is both functional and safe...then there are many ways to plumb the system and achieve the results you are looking for...

Some of the simplest methods use no pumps at all, just sea cocks [ also known as a ball **** valve] basically a 90 degree shut off valve...
If your well is below the water line, with a wall that reaches above the water line of the boat...by opening the sea ****, the water will only fill to the water line of the boat...of course that means there are NO other leaks any where in the hull...

One example of this the type of live well in this Ouachita Build...
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-1974-ouachita-tri-hull-bass-boat-restoration

The main drawback, is that this system can only be completely drained when the boat is taken out of the water... unless you start to mech-electric-anize it and add a pump to drain out the water ... and to aerate the well...
If you want to fill a live well that sits higher than the waterline, you will have no choice but to have some kind of pump system to fill the live well...

Here is a simple sketch that might help clear some of this up...

I am working out a system in my boat that is made of PVC tubing and fittings, still have a lot to sort out, yet...
but for the price, ease of availability, flexibility and proven longevity I am very happy with the way its working out...

Whatever you decide to do, I would really enjoy seeing how your project develops with some pics...:photo:

:D