What Glue to Use??

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Yep but it's poly based not epoxy ...
I think looking at all the test on the glue . I may use the TB III to make the longer stringers for the Glassmaster ...
But he never did the test using poly resin ...

Might as well bond them to the hull with the tb3 too eh?!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Guys, I started this Thread to discuss Glues, NOT Transoms!!! If you'd like you can start your own thread to discuss that. Feel free to discuss the virtues of Poly or epoxy as an adhesive but the subject of Rot,Transoms, SeaCast etc has nothing to do with the adhesive quality of Glues.:focus:

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I was surprised Gorilla Glue didn't fare so well in the tests in the original link. I always thought that stuff was pretty tough. I think it's especially good for joinery where the surfaces don't align perfectly (like chair legs and rungs) and that need some flexibility.

Nice to see that TB III did well. I use that stuff a lot, too. (Mainly because I bought a gallon to do my transom and only used about 1/4 of it...)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I use gallons of TBII, but never ever TBIII. I thought TBIII was similar to Gorilla glue in composition. I have use Gorilla Glue and liked it very much, but OMG don't get any of it on your hands, because short of grinding it off, it has to wear off. I tried every chemical I own to try and remove it off my hands. And even though it looks like I succeeded in that effort, the next day, my hands are black form the glue... I take it TBIII is water proof or it wouldn't be a great glue to use in boat building efforts. Does it flow like TBII and have similar shelf life?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
gm280 you bring up a good point. Since we're discussing Glues, this Thread would be a good place to have links to the MFGS sites with info about their glues. Soooo since you asked about TiteBond Here's theirs

TiteBond Wood Glues

Gorilla Glue

There are MANY Brands of PL Construction adhesive so I'd advise anyone to do your own Google Search for PL (Polyurethane) Construction Adhesive if you want to learn more about it's characteristics. There's just too many of them to list here.

The same applies for Epoxy and Polyester resin. ondarvr is our resident expert on Resin and he has explained to me that there are only a handful of Resin manufacturers in North America and they sell their products to various retailers that Re-Package and Re-label the resin and sell it under their own Name brands etc. So again I'd encourage everyone to do your own research and choose what you think is best for you and the application you're working on.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Outwardly, TB2 and TB3 are the same as they come outta the bottle. Spread, and apply the same w same workability. 3 cures waterproof, 2 is water resistant. Both cleanup w water and are nothing like Gorilla Glue.

TiteBond does make a polyurethane glue thats similar to Gorilla, but it isnt TB3.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Guys, I started this Thread to discuss Glues, NOT Transoms!!! If you'd like you can start your own thread to discuss that. Feel free to discuss the virtues of Poly or epoxy as an adhesive but the subject of Rot,Transoms, SeaCast etc has nothing to do with the adhesive quality of Glues.:focus:
Edit: No need to go down that road!

Transoms have a lot of glue in them and deciding which glue to use is important, Seacast is a glue in itself as it bonds itself to the transom. Choosing a glue that won't fail before the wood rots is also important.

I personally am not a fan of using "furniture" glue for anything that will be used outside the house and certainly not in a marine environment. I also don't trust water based glues for any type of exterior applications, especially in a marine environment. Any water based furniture glue is going to be Satan in a Sunday Hat if you try to use it in a marine environment.

There's only a small handful of adhesives that work well in a marine environment and anyone unfamiliar with them will do themselves a favor to research the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

zool

Captain
IMO, for gluing in a transom, laminating the plywood, setting stringers, a simple mixture epoxy resin, and microfibers like West 403...will give a superior marine grade adhesive, for most any purpose.

If you're using epoxy throughout, you just need the 403, if using poly throughout, you can still glue critical areas with epoxy/403, then use the poly for the rest of the layup schedule.

I find USC's 3:1 resin, and West 403, yields impressive results. Ive used the combo throughout my build.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
There's only a small handful of adhesives that work well in a marine environment and anyone unfamiliar with them will do themselves a favor to research the subject.
^^^ Which is the main goal for this topic!!! Hopefully between everyone's past experiences of using different types of glues, polies, epoxies, adhesives, etc. etc. it'll all come to light in here. Of course feel free to bring your/any research to this topic in order to help those searching come to their own conclusions quicker.:boink::focus: Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IMO, for gluing in a transom, laminating the plywood, setting stringers, a simple mixture epoxy resin, and microfibers like West 403...will give a superior marine grade adhesive, for most any purpose.

If you're using epoxy throughout, you just need the 403, if using poly throughout, you can still glue critical areas with epoxy/403, then use the poly for the rest of the layup schedule.

I find USC's 3:1 resin, and West 403, yields impressive results. Ive used the combo throughout my build.

Thanks Larry, these are the kinds of posts I was hoping for when I started this thread. Post from members stating their Hands On experiences using various Glues and adhesives and how they worked for them. This way the NEWBS and others can draw their own conclusions.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I will be the very first to admit, I am older then a lot of commenters on these forums. but not too old to read and learn things still. Otherwise I wouldn't be visiting these topics... Seems we all want the BEST possible glue to do everything we are working no so we don't ever have to redo them again...DUH! So that IS what everybody is reading these forums for, to make their projects the best it can be and never have to deal with them again... I know that's what I read them for... I am also knowledgeable myself to read ALL the replies and make up my own opinion for my project after reading the pros and cons of any procedure. That is what's call being informed and picking what you deem the best for YOUR project... There are certainly thing that I have very vast knowledge about and will help others when I can. But I'm not knowledgeable about everything and will read and watch others with their projects. Glues are such a subject for me...still, I'm still reading and gaining more info for my project(s). One thing I will point out though, I've yet to see or read about anybody's selection of glues ever failing on here for anybody's project. Which means there are multiple ways and products to accomplish similar issues...

zool

Captain
Thanks Larry, these are the kinds of posts I was hoping for when I started this thread. Post from members stating their Hands On experiences using various Glues and adhesives and how they worked for them. This way the NEWBS and others can draw their own conclusions.

Thanks wood, ill just add a chart up here showing the various fillers available for special purposes using epoxy, obviously, the more stars, the better suited for each task.