1960 Glasspar Citation

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
Starting to finally get to this project.
I bought for $300 this citation from a lady I've known for 35 years after her husband passed. Had no idea that the boat went through three owners in 45 years, the first being my grandfather. Thats right, without knowing it, I brought my grandfathers boat back into the family. Had it and used it for two summers before my father looked at it when he visited one day and said "Hmm, your grandfather had a boat just like that in the 60's". Contacted my uncle who had a picture of it, and my father found some features specific to this boat,and thats all it took to verify I bought my grandfathers boat.
Now comes the task of starting some restoration and repair.

I have several major concerns:
A hull breech on the port side below the waterline that has had several 'repair' patches (10x14 or so) needs fixed...the right way.
The top needs to be flipped, new ribs and re-glassed to strengthen.
I'm sure the floor will need to come out and replace what I've seen in other Citations as major stringer replacement/repair
And possible transom replacement.
Other little things as needed.

Here's what I've got started so far:

Have the motor removed
All the hardware removed
Windshield removed
Preparing to remove rub rail in preparation to remove the cap.

I know from seeing others projects that this is going to take some time, but I am excited to get started.

All of the aluminum hardware and braces are very faded. What is the best way to clean/polish these?

Will be following Andgott's website for boat resto for guidelines seeing it is pretty much a twinner to his, and enlisting any input from those with much more knowledge than me (which is everyone).

​Here we go!

Attachments

• photo214275.jpg
    photo214275.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo214276.jpg
    photo214276.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard !!!
Now this is the kinda restoration I love to follow ! Cool old boat with some sentimental reasoning to do it !
Gunna tag along if it's ok !

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Neat story and a great old boat. I just love the look of those old Glasspars. If I had the time, money and space I'd be hard looking for a Glasspar SeaFair Sedan.
Good luck to you with it, take you're time and do it right.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Great looking boat to being back to the family.

Andgott hasnt been around in a long time, but he did a great job on his Glaspar and Lake and Sea.

Good luck w your project

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm "All IN" on this one. Post up some pics of the damaged area when you get to that part and we'll be glad to help. I was a daily follower of andgott's projects. Got to know him quite well a few years back. He became quite a good upholsterer as well!!! He encouraged me in many ways!!! I wish he's come back!! I know he's had several additions to his family in recent years that have kept him busy. Anyhoo keep posting pics and asking questions and we'll do our best to help you in all ways possible.

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks for all the encouragement.
It's gonna be a long haul. My workspace is about 7 miles from my house and it'll be a few hours here and a few there.
Tonight I hit the point of no return. Started tearing out the floor under the splash well. Trying to do too many things at once. And realized I need to do things in order and one at a time.
Took everything off that ran thru and over the transom and it doesn't look that bad. As I get further down though I'm sure it's pretty soft. Will continue to post thru the demo.
On a side note, I've tried to find Andgotts thread on his Citation which is much more detailed than the website of his that I have bookmarked. Is there a way to resurect a thread?
Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• photo214308.jpg
    photo214308.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214309.jpg
    photo214309.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cool old boat, I will follow along as well, if you don't mind one more!

Willyclay

Captain
Love the story! Maybe one of my grandkids will do something with my boat. I had my Dad's 1960 Glasspar Avalon for a few years after he passed and our family enjoyed it many times. I did not have to make any major repairs to it other than fabricate a new forward bench seat. Good luck with your great old boat!

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
All I can say is THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! There are many details I remember when I was viewing his thread that I told myself "Boy am I glad this is here to follow in detail." And now it is again. Cant wait to resume. Like I said, its gonna be a long road. But I've already found out its one I don't have to walk alone. I am very appreciative of all those that can lend their time and talents to help me through this journey, and welcome those that just want to tag along. Thank you again!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
We have a LOT of Great Guys here on the forum! Just keep posting pics and asking questions and I'm sure you'll get all the help you'll need.;)

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Ok, baby steps. A few things done, nothing major, but some progress.
Slid the boat off the trailer on to rollers to make it easier to work on. And some other minor things.
Pictures are of the things that need done.
You can probably see the primitive repair on the underneath port side.
Also two more things of interest:
First, the main distinguishing part of this boat that made my dad recognize it was the ribs that were glassed on the bottom. Dad said they put them on to help when the boat would go into sharp turns to help "grab" the water and channel it. He said the boat had a tendency to skip or slide if you went too fast in a turn. Question......should I leave them and feather them in, replace and reglass them or remove them all together?
Second, this boat had 3 fuel tanks, I'm sure as an aftermarket add on. Two against the hull on each side and a removeable 5 gal can. In the area I live it was used at Lake Powell often and it wasn't uncommon to go for two plus hours one way to reach the upper lake. I haven't seen any other citations like mine that had the extra fuel tanks. They were "Long Cruise" brand tanks. They were metal somewhat square with rounded corners and fit on each side of the hull and had fill and vent holes. I removed them and gave them to a friend to have in his "scrap pile" mainly because I didn't want to deal with the 30 year old 32:1 mix that was still in them. I may still be able to get them back, but am torn if I should. If not there is no need to have the holes I the deck that feed the tanks. If so how does one keep them from accumulating sludge at the bottom if it sits for a few months. Also has anyone ever seen these kind of tanks or replacements for them? I think they were 8 or 9 gallons each. Sure gives you more ability to stretch your legs on a long trip. But is the extra hastle wort it?

Attachments

• photo214591.jpg
    photo214591.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214592.jpg
    photo214592.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214593.jpg
    photo214593.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214594.jpg
    photo214594.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214595.jpg
    photo214595.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214596.jpg
    photo214596.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214597.jpg
    photo214597.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214598.jpg
    photo214598.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
So what do you think of that tilt trailer? Myself I love'm. Especially because I do a lot of really shallow water launches.

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
A little more done today.
No pics but got the rivets all drilled out and the cap popped off just not removed.
Will have to wait to lift it all the way off until I enlist a few friends as the human hoist.
After we got the cap at least undone, I realized how thin the hull is on the sides. Its a good thing my wife didn't see how thin it is or she'd probably never get in it again.
Anyone have any answers on the fuel tanks or the glassed channels on the bottom?
Thanks

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Are the ribs on the bottom factory ? If it makes the boat handle better I would leave them .. Do they have wood inside ? Check for rot if they do ..
The tanks are gunna be one of those calls .. Up to you if ya want to put them back in or not .. You can add fuel stabilizer to the fuel to help it keep longer , I would suggest the ethanol free fuel also ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Those RIBS are called Strakes, and are a common feature on many hulls. They aide in keeping the hull from skidding sideways during a powered turn. If you Google "Strakes on a Boat Hull" you'll get more info if you're interested.

On the Tanks, I agree with SPHELPS. It's kinda your call. If you think you need that fuel capacity then put em back. If you're not gunna be doing a lot of Long Haul boating and have access to easy fill ups then you might consider an alternative.

Last edited:

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
So what do you think of that tilt trailer? Myself I love'm. Especially because I do a lot of really shallow water launches.
Haven't used it but this one time. Have had the opportunity to have deeper launches most everywhere we have been. Soon as we get er wet again will try it out.

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

On the starboard side of the top of the transom, the corner of the shell is cracked. (See picture) What would be the best course of action to remedy this?

Also after getting the top popped off I noticed that there were extra holes in the hull by the rivet holes that I drilled out suggesting that the cap has been off before.

One additional fix I will need to do is the fiberglass crossbar just in front of where the splash well is. It broke in half and will need reglassed and new wood there also.
Still getting to the movement of the cap to some sawhorses so I can start getting access to the bilge area so I can see how much work I've got to do.

Attachments

• photo215296.jpg
    photo215296.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215297.jpg
    photo215297.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You're making good progress! Some things to note. You have a curved transom. It will be important to maintain that when replacing it. Best method for doing so is once the old transom wood has been removed, glue and clamp a 3/8" layer of Ext. Grade Plywood that has been prepped properly to the outer skin. After it's cured and dried you can then install 3 more subsequent layers to get the required 1 1/2" thickness by gluing and screwing them to the first layer. You should measure the curve now so you can ensure the new one is exactly like the old one. Once the old one is out you can repair that crack easily by taping of the outside and then filling the inside with thickened resin and then laying glass over the crack. Once that cures, you'll go to the outside and grind it down and do the same basic repair, then fair it and either Gelcoat it or paint it. You'll never know it happened.;)