70's Alaskan Hardtop overhaul

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Soooo are you saying that you have an endgrain balsa cored hull and it's water logged??:eek:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It seems like only certain areas have this endgrain application. Get off some larger area pics.

Yes just some parts are end grain balsa, not the whole hull, and its not capped in much glass, in fact one strip that I pulled today didn't seal completely as the spray foam had pushed through in small drops into the balsa core....no wonder the water got in.

The hull itself looks like decent glass work but anything that was glassed to the hull was done with minimal supplies.

If the boat lasted 45 years with that quality work....it'll last forever when I'm done with it.

I'll try and snap some pics to show what I'm dealing with!

No Title

One is a low shot of the one that I removed and the other is a pic of the one that I still have to remove.

Attachments

• photo214852.jpg
    photo214852.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214853.jpg
    photo214853.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No Title

There are two per side and then the keel is done as well, so 5 in total. The 4 side ones stop short of the transom

Attachments

• photo214854.jpg
    photo214854.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
There are two per side and then the keel is done as well, so 5 in total. The 4 side ones stop short of the transom

Pretty interesting, but luckily the whole core/hull isn't what they call "cored". Because that's alot of work. Seems like you should be able to remove that and go back in with ply. If the contours are odd you could kerf the ply to make the shape. But I would definitely put it back
Hopefully others will chime in. Also shoot some wider pics of the whole. That will give everyone a better bigger pic to make comment on.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
What I'm thinking is, they used the endgrain balsa core to laydown over the hull and then glassed over it to create reinforcement "Ribs/Layers". Not uncommon. Like KC says you can use Plywood to do the same thing.