Ratherb's 74' 21 Ft Starcraft Islander

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing like a good Stripper!!

Yah, it's #1 in Canada because you can't find more than one other brand here!

Last edited:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Actually this stuff works surprisingly well. Might try something else when/if I use all of this.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sold the old worn out trailer that came with the boat. Too much work to get it to where I would want it to be. Picked up a custom trailer, Full galvanized frame with electric Surge brakes. Might be worth more than the boat at this point!

Last edited:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat with the trailer under it................Might need to extend the tongue or add a folding tongue to it. I am about 2 ft too short.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I re-furbished most of the windows now, Pulled them completely apart cleaned re-riveted them. Added some tint as well.

Before:

After:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am having trouble with one of the Windshield Wiper Motors. It does not want to work, many years of sitting and rusting out in the rain maybe??

Cap off, trying to repair....SOL so far

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was very hope full that I would find a motor for the boat and have it installed by now. Nooo luck. Might have to go for the donor boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Where ya been? Got a lot of work done. Nice trailer and nice soon to be Islander home. Parked just right, 6 of them will fit. :wink:

It looks like there are some switches or points type contacts in the wiper motor used to park the blade. Clean those all up and it might come back to life like TPG horn after cleaning the contacts.

Keep looking for that elusive motor. It's out there somewhere, may be attached to a glasser. :D

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Work was very busy through the summer months. I did not do much on the boat from May until Oct. Too many nice days to enjoy, plus being lazy...ha ha ha
I did spend time trying to find a motor, almost bought one. I am hopeful to find one with a 290 leg attached so it will give me the Hydraulic trim. I may have to weld in the hole on the transom and go to a merc unit. 5 months until boating season so maybe I will have a bare bones boat that I can test out.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I now have both Wiper motors working!! Happy about that. 1 more window to re-furbish, then I will need to remove the acrylic one from the front of the cuddy. I think that will be the worst one.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome back. Converting to MC is still bouncing around in your thoughts I see. Man I would love to have a shop that size, it would keep me out of trouble when taking up the admirals garage space for my projects. :lol:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
yah, if the engineers ever decide they want to work and give me the go ahead to pour the foundation I may actually have a shop one day. One of the reasons the Starcraft was sitting, I was waiting to have indoor space to work on it.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is crazy that a 110 degree basic wiper motor costs close to $300 here. I'm too cheap to pay that!!!

GA_Boater

A common complaint is the cost of shipping stuff north. :eek:

What did you find with the wiper motors that made them work?

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to pull the wiper motors completely apart and clean every contact. The most important ones are the 2 small magnets that are spring loaded. they seem to get really dirty. The problem now is finding the parts kit to replace the rubber grommets and a couple of missing bolts. The manufacture says they do not sell it separate. Of course they don't.......

GA_Boater

Visit an old timey family hardware store if you have one around. Way back in the dusty bins your parts are waiting. :smile:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Missed this one, not sure how. Just posting so I remember to watch so count me in for the trip.