Ratherb's 74' 21 Ft Starcraft Islander

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
For the record, I have went through all the islander threads I could find. Most of them 22 footers. Seems all the 21 footer became scrap.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I don't think I've seen one of the old Islanders ever get done as original. That would make yours a first!

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did go through falkenman's thread, I think that is a 22' Islander, but I don't see the length listed anywhere. Large engine in that boat, it must get up and go!

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was able to get the window bolt issue fixed today. Since the T Style track bolts are almost impossible to find here, I made a replacement bolt, cut it down from a small SS licence plate leg bolt that fit perfectly in the window track. Now I wish I replaced all of them with the same new SS Bolts. Might be a small winter project down the road.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was thinking of using Grey carpet for the bottom portion of the cuddy. Then the cushions will sit on top and then grey nautolex for any floor portions. I have seen a few boats with 2 tone carpet colour scheme and it seems to work. Any thoughts??

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Where are you from again ratherb?(I think far enough away so that he won't come looking for me) red vinyl for sure. you won't regret it. :lol:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat had original red vinyl and red plastic type indoor/outdoor carpet in it that looked installed from the factory. Not nice to look at. On top of that they put very ugly brown and tan cushions, vinyl bottom with fabric top. Might of been ok in 1974, but not anything I want to look at. Kinda like a crime scene.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, mine is from 77 and I guess I lucked out with blue. Looking back I think I should have gone grey but at the time I figured, everyone does grey. stay with the blue. It isn't too bad but definitely dated.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would consider a red, but too long in the sun and you get pink, and that is not something I want.

Currently working on cleaning all the aluminum in the cuddy, and glue around the entrance walls. It is so heavy I have to apply glue stripper 3 times to get it all off.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am planning out the wood, checking the old wood for fit before I cut the new wood. Next will be the 1" floatation for the cuddy.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the bow hatch re-mounted and rivited. Still waiting for the replacement rubber trim I ordered. Coming by snail mail!

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, it was one of the easier pieces to put back on after I repaired the original knob that broke.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, easy and 40 rivets. I hope you are using an air rivet gun. Funny what we boaters consider easy. Nice install ratherb

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice progress, the little things all add up quick, it's all about that forward movement.

Yeah Pat I think RB meant he riveted the hatch hinges back onto the ring.