Ratherb's 74' 21 Ft Starcraft Islander

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up some carpet for in the cuddy and side panels late yesterday. I left expecting to buy the grey, but after I saw the black, I could not resist.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah, how nice is it to be able to bring back neglected 42+ year old mahogany? :thumb:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, it turned out ok. I already installed it back in the bow. I am also close to getting the lower window back in. I will post some photos tomorrow.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was able to get the lower window installed, still working on all the little screws. Going to need a helper to tighten them down.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
The lower window took many hours and has been one of the most time consuming single parts so far. It was not in good shape when I took it out. Had large gaps, caulking gooped all over. Plus bad rubber weather stripping which is very difficult to find a replacement these days. Thankfully it is done and back in!!!!!!

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will leak test as I live in B.C. Canada! Yes it is currently raining outside...who would have guessed. Well better than snow!
The lower windshield is not yet tightened down so testing it will have to wait a while.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I absolutely love that older style Islander, what a mean PT boat look they have. Looking forward to seeing her hit the waves again!

jbcurt00

Staff member
20161130_095905_zps4on0cqef.jpg

Luke, I am your father

Looking great, nice work

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Real nice ratherb, it looks evil with the tint. it's funny how the boat looks chopped like they do to cars. Real nice work thus far, I'm tagging along if you have room.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lots of people that see the boat ask me if I chopped the cuddy. I have never seen another Islander at any boat launch around here. I have seen a couple Chieftain's and the SS's but that is it.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Spent some time scraping and cleaning the inside cuddy taking most of the old glue off. Then I went and put carpet right back in. Just add plywood cushions and a disco ball! Shagin cuddy..ha ha ha ha

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lots of people that see the boat ask me if I chopped the cuddy. I have never seen another Islander at any boat launch around here. I have seen a couple Chieftain's and the SS's but that is it.

I don't know if you've seen this one or if you have the month and a halfs worth of free time to read through it but this is something you should read. Sort of the war and peace of islander/Starcraft building and a great read. I don't think you plan on going so far but I'm sure there are many ideas here that you might borrow on yours.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...lander-rebuild

Last edited:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes of course I have went through Jas's Islander thread. I prefer the cuddy on mine. I also don't think I have the 400 plus page effort he put in... Crazy! He ended up with a real nice boat in the end. If mine turns out half as good as his I think I will be happy.
I hope he gets working on his 25 footer soon.