Ratherb's 74' 21 Ft Starcraft Islander

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just purchased a 21 ft Starcraft, no idea what year it is?? Can't find any date on nameplates or anything. I only see the 21ft Starcraft Islander's produced from 72'-74.
Will try and post some pics
Still can't load pics

Last edited:

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems like there is an issue with uploading photos right now.

The Starcraft is now 5 days new for me, but about 41 or 42 years old from the original build. Hull seems to be in great shape, no loose or missing rivets, no major holes. I will try to fudge it for this summer. Powered by a Volvo AQ 130C with a 270 leg from what I can find out about it. Wiring is a mess, bulkhead that were made out of the wooden cardboard material were rotten and now ripped out. I have made some progress. When I got it home nothing worked, I now have figured out some of the wiring. I can turn the key and turn over the engine (not running at this time) Po had removed the alternator and tried installing the incorrect alternator in it. The hookups were not even close. The main power wires for the ignition and tilt motor were re-routed into come sort of breaker jumper to steal power. Not sure what all that work was for.....strange.
So the motor now will turn over, the leg will now tilt all the way up and down.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome. Rather. Using Photobucket is the best way to post pics right now Copy the IMG code and paste it in your message. I wanna see some pics too. :D

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya, so many websites and passwords though. Just don't need another only to post a pic. I will get to it.
I still need to find an Alternator.....Damn old Volvo parts are hard to find here.
I have already went through a lot of the resto projects on here. I wanted to know what I was getting into before starting it. Seems like one of the easier boats to restore. Well I hope anyways, so far so good.

dozerII

Admiral
Great looking Islander, and Welcome to Starmada. What part of B.C. are you in RBB?

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Nice Islander ya got there. Ya gotta love it when someone butchers up the wiring and leaves it for someone else to figure out....

dozerII

Admiral
I see in post #8 you have a HIN tag on the upper right corner of the transom, the last two digits will be the year of the boat.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes the HIN number is on there. Thanks I will check it out.
I am located in Mission, B.C. Canada. A large lake is a 5 min drive!!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I love the design of Islanders from this era. Low profile and lots of deck area. Early-mid 70's I think? I have the same red vinyl in my '74 Chieftain. I did a very bare bones rebuild on mine...that vinyl is still there :D

WkTH6vQ.jpg

Really nice boat, congrats!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice looking Islander, I guess a hearty welcome to Starmada is in order!

Oh and hello neighbor, I'm just across the border in WA State.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
So it looks to be a 1974 Starcraft Islander IV as per model plate and HIN tag.
off to the boat part store today to look around and plan it all out.

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really like the higher cuddy and flat side rails on the Cheifains.

Does anyone want to give there opinion on the side mounted aluminum fuel tanks that are factory in the Islander? I see most do not use them and change to in floor?? Any reason? I am not sure if other years have the dual side mount fuel tanks?