1979 Borum Bobcat ski boat restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I think a windshield would be awesome to that curve shown on your vid.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Perhaps a short smokey tinted windscreen like friscoboater put on his glastron...:cool:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I would probably have to make one or find a shop that could fabricate one ....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
probably one of those lexan product thingys. Bet ya could heat and bend one to fit. Lot of info here and on the web. But...there is alot to do before we get there.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Put together this handy dandy motor stand for the 175 .. Still needs a few extra fasteners here and there ..

Tnstratofam

Commander
That should make moving that motor around easier. Do all 4 casters swivel or just the 2 on the front?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
They all swivel ... They came off an old drywall dolly that we replaced the wheels on ...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That outta hold it up! Good thing you thought to hold on to the casters!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
This could be a demonstration on how NOT to strap a heavy a_ _ outboard up to lift ..

I,m sure you can tell what I did wrong . :facepalm:
All is well though ! With the help of the Admiral I managed to get it mounted on the stand ...
:)

jbcurt00

Staff member
FYI, there should be a lifting ring on top of the power head under the cowl. Might make moving it easier later

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If there's one on there I sure can't find it ... :noidea:
Would have made it a lot easier ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup they make em. You have to buy it, remove the nut on the top flywheel and it fits right on. Mine did not have on either.
My lift onto the wood bracket I made sorta..well..looks like yours. LOL! :joyous:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is that one that you remove or leave on ? A ring should be standard with anything over 10 hp ! :rolleyes:
I was doing ok til gravity took over ! :eek: :fish:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I mis-spoke, there should be a bolt on lifting eye available, older, smaller motors have 1 installed

Yes a plate w/ 3 holes to align w/ the 3 holes in the flywheel or a threaded ring that screws into the end of the crankshaft

What model 175?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have a lifting ring for my Merc's works like a champ, screws right in the flywheel.....your method looks, um exciting!!!!:D :popcorn:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I have a lifting ring for my Merc's works like a champ, screws right in the flywheel.....your method looks, um exciting!!!!:D :popcorn:
LOL...Thats funny! I did take off my cowl and used 3 high tensile threaded bolts that I was able to place in the flywheel. with O rings at the top. But the lift I had was as you just said...Exciting. :eek:
For the next lift I will pick up the proper "o" ring/flywheel bolt.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well if I had thought through it a bit more I would have realized that there was nothing keeping the straps from sliding over the cowling with the center of gravity high .
It was sort of a semi-controlled chaotic lowering the boom almost soiling my britches kind of lift .. :facepalm: :lol:
I definitely learned from my mistake .. :twitch:

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, obviously some of us are smarter than other's here on the forum. Came time for me to remove the 150HP Merc off the boat. I built me a real nice engine stand, similar to the ones that are shown here on the forum. Made mine a little heavier and larger. Bought me a lifting eye off Evilbay, and went down to HF and got a low price (cheap) engine hoist. Everything is ready to go, man I can't believe how easy this is going to be. :facepalm:
Removed the cowl, screwed the lifting eye in, hooked up the chain, lifted just enough to get some weight off, pushed the motor mount bolts through the tansom, and lifted the motor up. Hmmmm, can't get the hoist high enough...chain is too long...need just an inch or so...heck, let some air out of trailer tires...yep that worked. :clap2:
OK, trailer down the drive after airing tires back up. (OK, we all know the smart thing would have been to lower the motor back on to the transom and shortened the chain....what fun is that?) Plenty of room in garage now. Move engine stand over to engine hoist and....What the heck? The engine stand won't slide close enough to the engine hoist to lower the motor. Stand is either too wide or the legs of the hoist are too narrow....Hmmmm. OK, no problem. I will lay a couple 2x6's across the legs of engine hoist and place the stand on them. OK...that worked. Lowered the engine onto the stand, and installed two bolts to hold it onto said stand. Looks great.......Ah....shucks...how do I get the engine stand which now has the engine mounted on it off the legs of the hoist? Oh, I know...lets take some more 2x6's and build ramps to roll it down off the hoist. :clap2: Yeah that will do it. Raised the engine and of course the engine stand, put the long 2x6's under the caster/rollers on the stand, lowered the engine and stand and.....ah....shucks....the weight of the engine and stand is now on the 2x6's but the 2x6's are sticking straight out instead of angling down to the floor. I guess a mouse could have used them for diving boards. OK, I need to lower the hoist a little, push the engine stand towards the ends of the "mouse diving boards"....when I run out of slack in the chain...push the engine stand a little further. Yep! after a little while, the 2x6's were now angled down and I could continue lowering the hoist and slowly rolling the engine stand to the ends. :cheer2: Yep, it is on the ground and over to the side out of the way....Just need to figure out what I am going to do to get it back on the boat later. :facepalm: I am sure if I hadn't of used the lifting eye, I would have ended up with 400+ lbs of outboard laying on the garage floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.