1977 Glastron HP154 Bass Boat restoration.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's a fiberglass boat!!! Anything can be fixed!!!! That's the beauty of Fiberglass!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's a fiberglass boat!!! Anything can be fixed!!!! That's the beauty of Fiberglass!!! My advice for now is to get the motor off and start getting everything off of and out of the boat and then start cutting the deck out.

RStewart

Seaman
That's the plan Wood, get the motor off & get the boat gutted. I would like to pull the cap & then attack the floor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Take plenty of pics and measurements first. You want to have a record of how she is right now, so you can put her back exactly the same. You can decapitate her now, but, it can get kinda floppy when you do, so you might wanna wait a bit longer. If it's in your way then get her off, if not leave it on as long as you can. It's up to you though.;)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you need to get the cap off, there are several ways of supporting the hull so she don't get all floppy. Guys have used 2x2's cut to fit exactly between the gunnels at regular intervals, and screwed from the outside, some guys have used threaded rod with washers and nuts, I built a cradle to support the outside, and some have used ratchet straps wrapped around the hull to keep it from flexing outward. The point is to get your braces in place BEFORE you remove the cap, that way you will eliminate any guess work from the shape of the hull. Also, don't forget to make sure the bottom of the hull is supported as well, because it will start to flex as you remove the deck and stringers. There is my two cents worth!

RStewart

Seaman
This is what I like about this site, guys jumping in offering up advice & ideas. Thanks guys.

Wood, I can get part of the floor cut out without removing the cap, but not all of it. The cap sits on part of it. I will take a bunch of reference picks. As far as measurements, where would you recommend I measure for reference?

NM, I like your cradle, however I will have to keep mine on the trailer so I'm able to move it when not working on it. My plan is to use a 1x6 laid flat against the top of the hull from bow to stern. Then supporting it with 2x4 uprights that are connected to 2x6s that run side to side under the trailer. I hope that makes sense.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like a plan! You will want to measure deck height, stringer height, location of stringers measured from center-line out to port and starboard, location of any bulkheads, etc. I measured my deck height and stringer height from the top of the gunnels (after I had the cap off) I may have missed something, but that is a good start.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh yeah, I keep forgettin how these old bass boats are glued together. You may discover that the floor is glued to the flotation foam too! Some are some aren't. Some are a real PITA to decapitate! I hope your's comes apart easily.

Last edited:

RStewart

Seaman
Yeah Wood there are places where the cap & the floor are glassed together, but the cap sits on part of the floor also, mainly around the edges. Really the only reason I wanted to remove the cap before I remove the floor is because I thought it would be easier. You guys are the resident experts, so if I'm thinking wrong feel free to let me know.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A pic of the overall boat might help with the decision. But like NM Says...Straps and Cross Bracing can/will help maintain the shape of the hull once the caps off.;)

RStewart

Seaman
I will try to get more pics this weekend. I'm hoping I can build enough support on the outside of the hull so I don't have to have supports going across the hull in my way.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Good looking start!:thumb:
Many creative ways to support hulls with some ingenious use of some sticks of wood...
The thing to strive for is that the hull, If/When stripped down to just its skin, feels almost as solid as when it still had some support left before gutting...
One of the more recent trailer supports is the one on "Minkman02" 's thread...starts somewhere around here...
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...or-stringer-restoration?p=6849759#post6849759

Don't concern yourself with any of the cracks and scratches and dings...that'll all get fixed as your knowledge and practice and time and money and life will allow...;):D
Just be certain to take lots of pics, notes, sketches, measurements...anything you think you are going to put back the way it is, only of course brand new...:eek:...
That way when your memory fails, as does most of ours, you'll have plenty of references to go back to...

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ron, you are in the right place as I am sure you have already realized, If your cap is attached to the deck like mine was:

here is my suggestion. There was a layer of what looked like resin covering my deck and also over the edge of the cap. I was able to remove the thousands of SS screws by using an old Phillips screwdriver, placing it over the screw head and lightly tapping with a hammer. This broke up the resin so I could unscrew the thousands of screws. After I got all the screws out, I used said hammer and lightly worked my way along the area with small taps, it seemed to shatter the resin so that the cap could be removed. Notice I did say "light taps." Which actually shows how brittle resin is without cloth.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Dan

RStewart

Seaman
GT1M I know what you mean about the mem...wait, what was I talking about?

Thanks for the link. I've seen his build. I plan on doing something similar for bracing except I'm going to run a 1x6 along the hull between the upright supports & the hull.

RStewart

Seaman
OK guys, I haven't been able to get much done but I did get a few pics of the cap sitting on the floor. I also peeled up some of the carpet from the floor & saw a hole right in front of the seats. I decided to bust up a small piece of the floor right there to see what was under. It appears my stringers were completely glassed in. Whether they are ok or not I'm going to replace them. There appears to be quite a bit of wood in this boat in the form of bulkheads. Kinda surprised me for some reason. Anyway, here is the pics I got today.

This is the cap sitting on the floor.

20150125_151339_zps7d6c78f9.jpg

Another one & the hole in the floor.

20150125_151355_zpsda18c9cf.jpg

The console on the floor.

20150125_151412_zps20e594b0.jpg

The hole I busted in the floor with the glassed stringer.

20150125_153604_zpsc40e21d3.jpg

I didn't have the boat at a good angle & there was water sitting in it from a recent rain/snow. Hopefully I will get a full weekend next weekend to work on it.

Attachments

• 20150125_151339_zps7d6c78f9.jpg
    20150125_151339_zps7d6c78f9.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1

RStewart

Seaman
Well guys, it looks like this rebuild just came to a screeching halt before it really even got started. I bought my uncle's 19.5 ft Procraft. I decided not to spend money on this boat. Instead, I took the money for the build & added a couple grand & just bought the bigger, ready to go fishing, boat. I appreciate all the advice you guys were offering up.

Last edited: