Aluminum 16 Ft V-Hull Modification, but how

Seaworm1982

Cadet
Adding to boat help

project boat of 16 AL boat, I want to built a small pilot house enough to fit in case hard rain comes. This is my first project and would like to know what should I use? Marine grade plywood? I need some ideas. I dont need the pilot house tall just short for shelter and drive the boat in the pilot house.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats, Worm.

Some 16 footers can handle a pilot house and some can't - It depends on the design. Can you grab a couple of photos?

The other thing is weight. Ply could add a lot and cause the boat to end up top heavy.

We will have plenty of ideas for you.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Worm, ask GA to combine this w/ 1 of the 2 Aluminum 16 Ft V-Hull Modification, but how topics you started and delete the other. The other title gives more info and might get more traffic...

Welcome to iboats, looking forward to the pix

64osby

Admiral
I would stay away from a hard cover. Too much weight.

Maybe a dodger or a bimini with detachable full sides. The dodger is the front cover.

fetch

GA_Boater

Honestly - Add a bimini and don't go out in heavy rain. You have a 30 horse Yammie on the back and I'm not too sure an added house, unless you build a skinny closet, will fare well in any good, gusty wind. Not even sure about a closet and you won't be able to move around.

I hate Flickr! You just can't share pics like Photobucket. :blue:

Seaworm1982

Cadet
My original plans, inclose light weight but solid dome. Dodger looks nice, but I plan to sleep in the boat 1-2 nights. Im thinking a marine grade plywood I can built. Something that I can go inside sleep and drive. I need it do be more soild. What material can I use beside dodgers and bimini? I will keep both in mind.
Can it been done with this boat?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
What size water are you planning on boating on???

If it gets rough your going to get wet,............

A solid pilot house on a boat that small is a good way to try to die before your time,.....

Seaworm1982

Cadet
Im not trying to die just make something like this small enclosure. The topic is what materials would be best? Marine plywood? Aluminum? ok12g.jpg
Here another example

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Since you have an aluminum boat why don't you stick with aluminum. You can usually get large discarded aluminum "Road Signs" at the salvage yard and then frame up the "House" with aluminum angle and rivets. If not then I'd still frame it with the angle and then use ext grade 1/4" plywood that was sealed with epoxy and then painted with several coats of quality Oil Based Paint. Based on the Pics you posted, AND IF your boat has Deep Side Boards then I see no reason you couldn't fabricate up something similar with your boat and make it safe and seaworthy. Post some pics so we can see what you're working with and then I say...
go-for-it.gif

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
somthing like this
this boats mod doesnt meet your original design criteria of being IN the pilot house while under way. There are no forward windows...

What are the boat dimensions of the 2 examples you posted? My impression is the red one has more freeboard then yours, maybe longer too. Without a length and width plus a shot of its helm, I can't judge whether the green ones similar to yours or a possible reference to model yours after..

Can this mod be done, or done to your boat, maybe...

I suspect it might be better done on a different hull shape, w a taller bow, notice the up sweep on the red ones gunwales.

Are they both plywood DIY boats?

Sorry for all the questions, but for me it isnt a simple yes or no answer ~ build out out of plywood/aluminum kind of question.

What are your plans? Just remove whats necessary to accommodate your pilothouse? Fab a box and bolt it on top of the existing boat structure? Complete tear down and refab an all new interior? How long have you had the boat? What have you done to confirm its all in great shape? The interior looks practically brand new, but the exterior hull doesnt. Did you do that interior work, or did you buy it redone?

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Well that's a whole bunch different than the stand up pilot house I was envisioning,..............

Seaworm1982

Cadet
lol Aluminum Sheet will be the best [FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]route. Never did metal work before, but willing to learn. I'm 5'8 145 pounds, making a small enclosed out of AL would best. What type of AL should I be looking for? [/FONT]

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There are a bunch of people wanting a open fishing boat set up like yours. What you need is a cuddy cabin style boat. Something else to think about, if you pile on a bunch of plywood and hack up the boats features and then your not happy with it, your resale value is pretty much gone. Unless you're one heck of a wood worker it will look like someone who built their own hillbilly wood canopy for their truck. The reason they make different types of boats is for needs of the owners. Same goes with cars. My suggestion is to get the type of boat you need and sell yours. On the other hand...

If you want to keep this boat and make an enclosure then you should build it from AL tubing and marine vinyl.

GA_Boater

It's time to ask - What do you what? An enclosed helm for foul weather or a sleeping cabin or both? How often do you plan on sleeping in the boat?