New member Richline Tin Restoration

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I liked the idea of something rigid to work off so I used the method JBcurt used. I took a pic of the hardware before I removed it to have a smooth surface.

I have an old remnant of 1/4" Luan that I'll sacrifice to the Transom gods.....

Fitted up...

What do you think of these two boxes that were riveted into the hull. One was clearly the battery box but no idea what purpose the other had. Keep them or remove them?

T

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A little more progress......
image.jpg2.jpg

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I initially made my template to stop short of that center rib but decided later to extend it further down hoping for some more strength. Here is the result.

image.jpg2_1.jpg

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There will be a 2nd sheet of plywood on the outside that I'll have to pattern and cut out.
image.jpg1_2.jpg

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With an additional 3/4" ply on the outside I'm hopeful that 1-1/2" will offer plenty of strength for the Evinrude Lark I'll hang on there. I'm going to try my hand at covering it with CSM and polyester resin. How much thickness do you think each layer of 1-1/2 ounce CSM will add? I would like to wet each side with one layer so as not to mess the original thickness up too much.
image.jpg1_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I could just faintly see the old outline to trace it out for a pattern.

image.jpg1_2.jpg

Wax paper worked well to transfer the outline to make the pattern.

image.jpg1_3.jpg

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some old paint served to identify the border after trimming the wax paper.

image.jpg2_3.jpg

Some patient cutting and I have both the inside and outside complete. Now I need to order the resin and CSM.

image.jpg3_1.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would leave the boxes as standard equipment storage. Nice to see your hammering away at the old gal. I would bet you think think about her all the time by the way your going at the project. Keep it up! :thumb:

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What did the soda blasting run you? Nice catch too.

WZ

I paid $300 and they came right to my door with a mobile unit so I thought that was a decent price. The alternative was aircraft stripper and that made my blood pressure rise when I tried to use it.

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been trying to gather some paint ideas on the website and these two caught my eye. Are these paint schemes representative of the factory paint jobs from those days or are these just the object of someone's imagination you think?

image.jpg1_4.jpg

image.jpg2_4.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've not seen the red Starcraft graphic before, but I wouldn't doubt that it's a replication of factory.

The light blue is absolutely very similar to factory, if not an exact match.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jigginglow You are off to a great start on the restore. I have a 1960 “14ft?” Cadillac boat with 4 seats. The front seat is covered with a easily removable aluminum deck that looks like an factory option. Thought I'd pass on this link about Cadillac boats. Keep up the good work. http://www.wagemakerwolverineboats.c...num_boats.html
web1001.jpg

Last edited:

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jigginglow You are off to a great start on the restore. I have a 1960 “14ft?” Cadillac boat with 4 seats. The front seat is covered with a easily removable aluminum deck that looks like an factory option. Thought I'd pass on this link about Cadillac boats. Keep up the good work. http://www.wagemakerwolverineboats.c...num_boats.html

Last Dollar, thanks for the encouraging words and the informational link. Lots of nice boats shown there with plenty of ideas to think about. I got my resin supplies today so I'll hopefully be able to get busy again soon. Stay tuned.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
With an additional 3/4" ply on the outside I'm hopeful that 1-1/2" will offer plenty of strength for the Evinrude Lark I'll hang on there. I'm going to try my hand at covering it with CSM and polyester resin. How much thickness do you think each layer of 1-1/2 ounce CSM will add? I would like to wet each side with one layer so as not to mess the original thickness up too much.
image.jpg1_1.jpg

You probably checked this but make sure the clamps on your Lark open wide enough after you add thickness with csm. I have a 57 Evinrude 18 and the max my clamps will open is 2 inches or little less. You are likely fine just trying to save you some headache. Ask me how I know. šŸ˜œ