New member Richline Tin Restoration

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty interesting that is wasn't a woodruff key but rather just a round pin that locked everything up......
image.jpg1_19.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Quite and adventure hey! Are you going to change that helm or rebuild it? Looks like it's still in nice shape.

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quite and adventure hey! Are you going to change that helm or rebuild it? Looks like it's still in nice shape.

I'm indecisive on it at this point. I suspect there is better technology out there for this purpose. Any ideas or recommendations? Teleflex?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Someone must of fueled up on a heaping dinner of Lutefisk! :lol:

A new Teleflex rotary helm with NFB steering cable. I would not waste my time trying to rebuild a cable pulley system but that's just me.

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Someone must of fueled up on a heaping dinner of Lutefisk! :lol:

A new Teleflex rotary helm with NFB steering cable. I would not waste my time trying to rebuild a cable pulley system but that's just me.

Never could get past the stink of the lutefisk but I will eat generous helpings of lefse!!! I do think I'll update to a Teleflex. Any idea what a person should expect to spend front to back?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What set up does your donor boat have? I can't tell from the pics if your Lark has a tilt tube or what kind of remote steering it had on it from the pic.

If you go all new the you'll need to shop for a complete steering system, steering wheel and maybe some parts for the motor as well. Does your motor have the tilt tube on it? You may need a steering arm for the motor too. Iboats here has some Uflex Seastar complete systems with helm and cable.

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What set up does your donor boat have? I can't tell from the pics if your Lark has a tilt tube or what kind of remote steering it had on it from the pic.

If you go all new the you'll need to shop for a complete steeringe system, steering wheel and maybe some parts for the motor as well. Does your motor have the tilt tube on it? You may need a steering arm for the motor too. Iboats here has some Uflex Seastar complete systems with helm and cable.
Took a few pics today for reference.

image.jpg3_10.jpg

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back at it. It seems like it could officially be spring in ND. I don't know if this old ride had a windshield in its former life. If it had there were only two fasteners holding it on. Turns out my MFG donor boat had a windshield that l thought might fit , which is does left to right but it doesn't follow the contour of the front bow. Any ideas how I could make this look decent on here.? I like the looks of it otherwise.

image.jpg2_15.jpg

image.jpg1_24.jpg

Maybe an inch or so of air to fill......
image.jpg3_12.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you decide to change over to a single cable steering system then you'll need a transom mount steering tube system to fit the mount that's on your motor. http://www.starmarinedepot.com/tele...o7N8sdJXPiYJSzh0OjORW_AOiUZZ4FEzA2hoCBK_w_wcB and the new Helm, Wheel, and cable.

Total cost for the conversion is about $250. I know, cuz I was gunnas do this on my old glasser but decided to update the motor to one with a steering tube.

It does not have a steering tube. It should be fairly simple to fabricate a wood base to conform to the shape of the bow. Screw it on and Paint it to match. I think it would look Factory!!!

64osby

Admiral
What is the windshield made of? If glass make fillers as WOG mentioned. If plexy, you might be able to sand or cut to fit.

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is plexiglass. I'll try my luck in one of the corners to see if it willsand or cut. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

What is the windshield made of? If glass make fillers as WOG mentioned. If plexy, you might be able to sand or cut to fit.

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Little by little, I'm picking away at it. I have the final piece of the deck cut out and waiting to get glassed along with the upper deck portion. I made a little boo boo when I put some weight on the sheet prior to the resin hardening so I have a little clean up there but turned out good otherwise I thought.

image.jpg2_16.jpg

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back on task after winter has set in. Got lazy and didn't do any layup outside when the weather was cooperative so settling on the garage again.
image.jpg2_18.jpg

image.jpg1_28.jpg

image.jpg3_15.jpg

image.jpg3_16.jpg

Pre- wetting it
image.jpg2_19.jpg

1-1/2 oz CSM is in position
image.jpg1_29.jpg

Curing away.....
image.jpg5_3.jpg

image.jpg4_7.jpg

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice to practice on the bottom after being away from the project for so long. I think it turned out alright. I'm dreading the sanding disc.....
image.jpg6_3.jpg

Slager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks good. Continueing should be a good winter project. Are you adding glass to increase stiffness, or so you can use poly resin? I used epoxy coated 1/2 in ply and my deck stiffened up nicely after adding pour foam underneath. What deck covering are going to use? Keep up the good work!

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks good. Continueing should be a good winter project. Are you adding glass to increase stiffness, or so you can use poly resin? I used epoxy coated 1/2 in ply and my deck stiffened up nicely after adding pour foam underneath. What deck covering are going to use? Keep up the good work!
I debated using 1/2" but settled on the more rigid 3/4". The CSM glass was selected so I could waterproof the deck with the polyester resin. Any extra stiffness gained would not be terribly beneficial I suppose. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to get closure on this project this winter so stay tuned for more details.