Cox Craft 85 Gutted and Rebuild.........ing

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A bit odd but nothing to worry about. I LIKE your little helper!!! Does He/She have a LITTLE Dust mask Too!!!:lol:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ahhh, gotta love a full Tyvek suit on a hot, humid day! Progress is looking good! I feel your pain about the tool issue, nothing worse than a tool that isn't where it should be!:mad:

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Great progress Bar! Looks like you have all your demo tools in good control. Excellent! Cool dog looks like part Corgi wire hair.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is "Buddy". He is 9 years old but is still a puppy. We clip him every summer, to keep him a little cooler. Part maltese, part jack russell. Thinks he can eat rottweilers! Dust mask wood? no need he is well away from the action. I'm hosing the boat out after each time a grinder saw has been applied. So dust is minimal. Noticing how flimsy the boat is now that I've cut up the floor. I'm gonna have to put it on bunks of some kind. The rollers just aren't up to the task.

On another note, has anyone seen this type of easy loader? It is a spring loaded attachment that is supposed to center the hull when you drive it on. A good friend gave it to me when he rebuilt my trailer, but I think the rollers are wrong. Any thoughts?

Cheers from Ozzie

Last edited:

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Bar, I gotta deal for you. Since it is some hot down there I figure you may need a mate to help you out. Also since it is in the mid 20's with a chance of ice here. (That's too Damn cold for me) I will bring all my tools down and give you a hand with the labor.
What do you say???
Only thing it will cost you is a small delivery fee :laugh:
No worries though,I will fly coach...

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Papa bear, I would like nothing more than to have a helping hand. The problem I face, like most of us here, is the lack of that filthy lucre! Back to work tomorrow and then Tuesday back to my contract up in Cooktown, which is 4 hours drive north of where I live. When that contract is completely done and I'm paid I might have enough to buy some ply and resin and glass........then back to chasing work again! Love to have you here to help.....One day maybe?

mitt64

Recruit
Hi Barra boats looking good :)
Its a shame your not a lot closer ya know like bowen, id drive up & help just for the fun & experiance
Think yur po maybe the same as the bot we were going to do the new floor they installed was screwed st8 thu the hull just by your yellow line with 20 stainless screws :(

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Barra boats looking good :)
Its a shame your not a lot closer ya know like bowen, id drive up & help just for the fun & experiance
Think yur po maybe the same as the bot we were going to do the new floor they installed was screwed st8 thu the hull just by your yellow line with 20 stainless screws :(

Hello Mitt, Yeah what is with stainless steel screws in the floor. They were everywhere on my floor, but each one was a leak waiting to happen. The worst one was in the passenger floor. Only the fibreglass was left and a s/s screw poking thru....frustrating huh!

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great progress Bar! Looks like you have all your demo tools in good control. Excellent! Cool dog looks like part Corgi wire hair.

I could have done so much more if I had a saw. Now I have to go make some money to help pay for it...Buddy is part Maltese part Jack Russell

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I could have done so much more if I had a saw. Now I have to go make some money to help pay for it...Buddy is part Maltese part Jack Russell

Yup always another tool or something else to do on dasboot! Went out this morning to clean up an area with the sander and it crapped the bed on me. Now I have to get another one. Whole day blown. Well on the good side heading out to do some side work today to pay for this boat.

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
HA HA Not to worry Bar. I will get down that way one day. At college I had a room mate from Melbourne for a semester, as he was doing a study abroad thing. Housing must have thought they were funny putting the old guy and the Aussie in the same room. (I was in my 40's when I went back to school).
Joke was on them as we had a blast that semester and still stay in touch today.

Great work on your boat. I love the look of it, going to be a looker when you are done.

Hopefully it will warm up here soon so I can get some work done on mine. Kinda hard to get anything done when you are wearing 3 jumpers !!!! :blue:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the way, this is a Barramundi. or "Barra" for short. Its very similar to a Nile Perch from Africa. They grow very fast. This fish was around 4 -6 years old and has most likely just recently become female. The size limits are 58cm to 120cm (22 3/4in - 47 1/4in). They are a prized sports fish that taste amazing :D if they are from saltwater, as they often hold in billabongs or in the upper reaches of the rivers in the dry season because they tolerate fresh water easily but taste muddy:grumpy:

This particular fish was 88cm (34in) and was cooked and eaten immediately. Beautiful white fillets, subtle flavours.

My Friend caught this on one of our fishing trips in a remote Aboriginal Community called Kowanyama, in the west coast of North Queensland. Hmmm good times!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm not much of a saltwater fisherman, but IMHO it looks similar to an Ocean Striper, kinda sorta..Maybe without the stripes??
newhall_scott_striper.jpg

Last edited:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not much of a saltwater fisherman, but IMHO it looks similar to an Ocean Striper, kinda sorta..Maybe without the stripes??
newhall_scott_striper.jpg

Never seen that fish before, exactly the same but completely different!!! The barra doesn't have teeth either you can pull them out of the water and if you release them by holding their bottom jaw. Explosive power due to size of its tail, aggressive to all in its territory. One major problem with the areas you will catch "Barra", is that they share the water with one of Australia's maneaters. The Saltwater Crocodile. Don't ask me why but the saltwater croc is the most aggressive croc in the world. So basically you don't spend any time with your hands in the water as the croc knows you are nearby and can hear your heartbeat when you touch the water. SO I NEVER PUT MY HANDS IN THE WATER UP HERE!!! Only the small freshwater creeks are safe enough to swim in. Even the beaches here are sometimes closed due to crocs being sited. Just part of the many reasons why it's awesome to live in tropical AUSSIE!! Have a good day!

Last edited:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello People
Back in town for a little while so I got dressed up in the tyvek suit, long pants, log sleeved shirt, boots and talc all over. Started at 530 pm, because it's finally cool enough to get into that PPE and sweat it out. At 530pm it's around 30 deg Celsius and still 85-90% humidity. Cut some more floor out removed the outer stringers and started the main stringers.

So I need a different saw to get deep enough to remove the stringers in the middle. There is a keel stringer too that was laminated with a 45 deg piece of csm funny stuff.
Is there a special way to remove the main stringers? what am I doing wrong? Tool options??

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looking good. On the keel you can run a grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Cut on either side, slice on the top then you should be able to "peel" the glass off to get at the keel stringer. On the two left over just run a sawsall blade along the bottom then pick /cut out the rest. Then the grinder again to cut the stubs down to the hull.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking good. On the keel you can run a grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Cut on either side, slice on the top then you should be able to "peel" the glass off to get at the keel stringer. On the two left over just run a sawsall blade along the bottom then pick /cut out the rest. Then the grinder again to cut the stubs down to the hull.

Thanks kcassells, that's exactly the kind of detail I really appreciate from you guys. I had a builder abuse me at work yesterday and now I have to take him to court to get my money. The legal system is different to the US as the legal costs of taking this gut to court are payable by me and are not recoverable as part of the settlement. :grumpy:Genuine PITA! So the money for my boat restore is going to be a lot slower.$$^^%#$@#

I'll keep at the demolition in the sweltering heat as best I can.

On a positive note a friend of mine can get me a bigger fuel tank and an alloy engine pod made for cost of materials......woo hoo:cool:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
if you drill like a 1" hole just above the floor into the stringer then you can just put that sawsall blade right into it and go down the lane with it. And on the same note...Most builders are like thorns on a rose. They always Prick you. Especially at the end of the job. It's the same here. You have to thin your herd to only the good ones. Good luck! Here in the states whoever has the most $$ to wait you out usually wins.
Cool on the tank and pod.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry to hear about the a## hole builder problems. In my contracting days, I ran into a few of those my self, and is one of the things that I absolutely don't miss about that industry. What kcassells said about drilling a hole and running a sawzall down the stringer is what I did when I was tearing mine apart as well. I would use at least a 9" blade so that you can get it to flex to the hull.
Sweet score on the tank and mounts!:clap2::whoo:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
if you drill like a 1" hole just above the floor into the stringer then you can just put that sawsall blade right into it and go down the lane with it. And on the same note...Most builders are like thorns on a rose. They always Prick you. Especially at the end of the job. It's the same here. You have to thin your herd to only the good ones. Good luck! Here in the states whoever has the most $$ to wait you out usually wins.
Cool on the tank and pod.

Thanks kc I need that kind of specific advice. The guy owes me at least 10k so I'm behind with my bills. His financial problems are now mine. I will have to borrow a sawsall as I don't have the money to buy one of my own. :thumb::thumb: