Cox Craft 85 Gutted and Rebuild.........ing

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Notice the 3 large bung holes????? The PO had the idea that because she had some holes in her that best way to get the water out at the ramp was to put more bungs in.....whatever you do don't fix the leaks!!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I like the design! Nice to something from outside the States.

rickryder

Commander
question regarding the cradle rickryder mentioned.....Do I need to support the hull more than the rollers on the trailer]

Yes especially on a roller trailer...a bunk would carry more of the load where the rollers are pressing on smaller points. When you remove all the stringers and bulkheads you have a fiberglass shell and the rollers could indent the hull...this is a good link to some ideas what you can do http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-and-hull-repair/599028-boat-hull-cradle-help

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have anyone seen a curved hull at the transom before? Good ?? Bad???

Rick, I think the best for me is to build some bunk on the trailer before I get into the re stringer phase.

Hopefully tomorrow the cap will be removed

rickryder

Commander
Yes you can build under the boat with it on the trailer just try to lift the boat slightly with the bunk so there is less weight resting on the rollers..

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes especially on a roller trailer...a bunk would carry more of the load where the rollers are pressing on smaller points. When you remove all the stringers and bulkheads you have a fiberglass shell and the rollers could indent the hull...this is a good link to some ideas what you can do http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-and-hull-repair/599028-boat-hull-cradle-help

Can't do a cradle. 1, I don't have the timber, 2, I don't have the space, 3, I need to move it around on the grass/lawn to keep my neighbours and the land lord happy.

I reckon I'll build a set of bunks on the roller trailer for support and ease of maneuverability. I hope that doesn't stuff up my plans for a straightish boat!

rickryder

Commander
I remember someone that built off the trailer to support the hull...that would be fine and you could still move it if need be ;)

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some more pics of the cabin and stringers.

Notice the area my finger is touching? It appears to be filled with a wedge shaped piece of timber on the outside or high side of the stringer. Has any one seen it this arrangement before? What purpose does it have? Should I be putting this back in? (I don't think so personally)

Another view of the same stringer

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Extra support for a roller?

Or, if it's near the transom, maybe the same hull was used for an inboard motor?

You have to think they wouldn't do that for no reason.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
So today I want to cut off the cap so I can get access to the transom and bilge areas. It looks like I'll need to cut the bulkhead as it glassed to the hull and the cap. If you can see the indent is the cap to hull junction. It has been gel coated over. The cap and hull both have an external lip nearly an inch long. These lips appear to be glued somehow and the rub rail was a "U" shaped piece of rubber.

Anyone done a de cap like this?

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
It looks like the stringer were not continuous. The bulkhead to the rear is ply and the bulkhead to the bow is solid timber. The boat flexed at the bulkhead line as the stress fractures in the hull underneath show. This weakness is what ultimately made this boat fail over time. I'll be putting in single length stringer when the time comes.

Starboard stringer at the bulkhead

Port stringer at the bulkhead

Bilge area. Center or keel stringer clearly visible. Runs right to the bow.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is the starboard stringers under the batteries area.....see the screws? they are holding the aluminium brackets on the floor. You can see the transom in the back. Little to no fillet on the big stringer with small cove fillet on the small stringer.

Some idiot (that would be me) left the oil box in the fuel tank space overnight and some drained out. Oil is bad on the fibreglass right?
I'll get a towel and soak it up.

Last edited:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I have big question. Do I need to decapitate her? Is there a alternative way to acces the transom without taking the cap off? I'm seriously considering putting a pod on the back the add around 600mm (2 feet) in overall length. This would mean removal of the splashwell (throw it away) and I gain that area as floor space and maybe a fold down seat.

I would appreciate some input here before I take a saw to her.....
Thanks for reading

Cheers from Tropical Australia!

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Extra support for a roller?

Or, if it's near the transom, maybe the same hull was used for an inboard motor?

You have to think they wouldn't do that for no reason.

No it's not support for the transom, it's too far away. I've not seen an inboard on this model before, 5m or 16ft boat. The bigger Cox Craft 7.5m 22ft have a totally different design to them and with a inboard option...

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I have big question. Do I need to decapitate her? Is there a alternative way to acces the transom without taking the cap off? I'm seriously considering putting a pod on the back the add around 600mm (2 feet) in overall length. This would mean removal of the splashwell (throw it away) and I gain that area as floor space and maybe a fold down seat.

I would appreciate some input here before I take a saw to her.....

Personally, I would try to take the cap off if I can. Mainly because I know I won't do a good job of patching up any chop work I do. Here's what my dad built for us to take off my cap, which is a cap+the tub. Probably at least 300 kilos, maybe more.

Worst thing would be to chop her up only to find you *still* need to take the top off.

Cheers from Tropical Australia!

Meanwhile, in temperate Australia, you guys need a couple quick wickets :)

Last edited: