13' UFO...Unidentified Floating Object

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, I had a day off yesterday, which meant I had to take my two teenage girls to the mall.:cheer2::cheer2::grief: But no worries, because even your most mundane mall trip can inspire committing another felony. That is, buying another unidentified boat with no paper work for a hundred bucks.

It's got a mini keel and is about 12' 10" long. I was thinking maybe a mini center console conversion. Any suggestions on what it may be? No HIN so it's probably pre '72? I was thinking father son project...
Please no lectures on lack of paperwork...we do burnouts in the street, rip the tags off of our mattresses, and swap plates depending on what trailer we're taking that day. :witless:

IMG_20141221_141227_222.jpg

IMG_20141221_141121_105.jpg

IMG_20141221_141147_697.jpg

IMG_20141221_141448_078.jpg

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Cool little boat! It should clean up real nice with some work. Did it come with the trailer? And don't worry, I wont lecture you on the no paperwork thing. I know in Michigan I have a way around it for a good amount of different vehicles as long as they meet the right criteria. Sorry I am not more help identifying the boat, but it looks cool :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
On a boat that small I think a tiller would make sense,.....

Leave the rest as open as possible to move around a bit or fish,.........

jc55

Thanks Luke, yes it came with the trailer. It looks like a TeeNee but I didn't check the front support of the trailer for the "TeeNee" insignia.
lckstck...Just like Chevy Chase's family truckster. Dual nav and stern lights...weird.
Teamster, I like the open floor plan idea. I've always wanted to cut out the bow of a boat, add extra hull support, and form CC style gunwales.

I snuck this pic of matt. He's already out there in the cold working hard...
IMG_20141221_151926_079.jpg

He moved it with the golf cart and he's tearing all the wood out of it and filling the little red wagon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Center console doesn't make much sense to me for a 13 footer but what do I know!!!:eek: She's got hollow Glass Stringers so that's a BIG +!!!

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well the floor looks like it's in great condition as well as the rest of the wood. :joyous: Have fun!! And Enjoy! That's what it's all about.

jc55

WOG, are those style of stringers glass over PVC? I was thinking that a cute little CC would be the cat's meow!!!!!!!! Maybe even a varnished, plank floor? Whadya think?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
you work 7 days a week finished 2 boats working on another one and just bought another one. Yeah that seems about right Cool little boat

jc55

LOL, just tryin' to keep up with you buddy!

jbcurt00

Staff member
I don't know who actually made UFO, but here's my impressions based on the pix:
  • Based on the still intact OB controls, general style of boat, rounded rear soft chine, the round glass stringers (at least in the bilge below what should be the splashwell area) this is a 1960's +/- boat
  • The splashwell has been removed and the transom cut down, so if you decide to go mini Center Console, a splashwell needs to be added
  • The round stringers are likely to be hollow, could be over 'foam' or cardboard half pipe cores, but are WOOD-free :)
  • Some makers that used these round glass stringers (Starcraft for 1) made a stringer grid system that was dropped into the hull as an entire unit, not individual laid up stringers, then decked over.
  • Depending on what you actually want to do w/ this rig (fishing?) my suggestion would be a moderate bow-ectomy to match the gunwale's contour, a flat deck, 2 widely spaced bench seats (rather then 3), which could be moved a little further forward because of the bow-ectomy, and tiller steer.
A smallish 12' 10" boat may get fairly crowed w/ any sort of center console in the middle. What's the beam between the gunwales thru the area you want to add a center console? Perhaps add a perimeter rail to the gunwale and a single side standing console on the starboard side.......... Down side to that or esp a center console is rigging the throttle and steering, which are non-existent on a tiller boat, and of course the splashwell....

Good project for a father son to tackle. Small enough to perhaps be a quicker redo, which should help hold his attention. But the skills will all translate to a larger project boat for him later.

Good luck

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree with JBC, more than likely due to the age of the boat, the stringers were laid over cardboard 1/2 tubes.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a cool little boat and makes for a great father son project. You can contact either the state DEC or Motor vehicle office and find out what it is. Just give them the registration #'s off of the side and find out what it was last registered as. Good luck with it. As a side note I had a 13ft Whaler that was a CC and we could fish 2 and had some room but not much. Had a Mercury 50 on her and she was a great little boat.

jc55

Thanks KC.

Flukin...excellent idea. I'm going to call tomorrow. I called them a while back on my title less pontoon boat (lol) So you kind of get the mini CC idea too. We'll call this one the Kmart Whaler version :)

Excellent ideas and input JB. Thank you for taking the time to post. With a few name brands, I can start googling some photos and try to identify the unidentifiable.
joyous.png

The transom is 15" now, and she's 50" in between the gunwales. Like all of our boats, she'll be just cruising and exploring. This will be HIS boat only, and I will most likely not restore the outside of it. I love the idea of cutting out the bow. Laying in bed last night know exactly how I'm gonna do it.

I'm thinking a full deck with a better stringer system, gussets up the sides of the hull like a real CC every so often, and a custom made, narrow console. I was thinking no splash well but doubling the transom and going 9.9hp?? The keel has a reverse crown and I believe I need more support.

I have just about everything left over from 2 boat projects to build this. I'm worried about the rub rail. This one is shot and at the price they come, that's almost a deal breaker.

I got home from work today and except for a couple of stubborn screws, Matthew got the cap off. Well, he instantly earned himself, "Indoor status"!!! We made a place of his own indoors.

IMG_20141222_163817_270.jpg

IMG_20141222_163827_146.jpg

IMG_20141222_163928_232.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Too too cool to be able to work with your son like that. Take your last night mind pics, draw them with your son and gel. That's is so cool and I see a Little jc55 in the wings. That is one Proud Little Man!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I think I'd want a splash-well,...

Especially if it's gonna be the young dudes first boat,...

zool

Captain
I think I CC is definitely doable...Maritime made a 14 you could model off of, replacing the bow deck with a platform.....theirs was a skiff, but...

with a 25 or 40, the kids could learn to run solo.....I lucked out with a 65 merc..cuz that's what dad had.:D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Seeing it with the cap off I think I'd start that way and leave it off. Maybe glass in a few ribs on each side and build a rod locker on one side and storage or livewell on the other. The you could find or rip cut some nice wood and build/mold that into rub rails. Then maybe put a nice ol 18/20hp OMC tiller on the back. Kinda like the old Tuffy Rampage boats. Do a web search using Tuffy Rampage boat pictures and you will see lots of them.

jc55

You guys are geniuses...The ideas are flowing!!! Zool, man you had to post those :). KC, that's exactly what we did. We just had our family boat planning/ building meeting.
Bonz_d, I'm really starting to lean in the gunwale hacking and modifying direction. beyond just the bowectomomontonimony.

There will be no glassing until spring. I have to get my Steiger done first, but a couple of questions...

It's a $100 boat. The cap is thin and crispy, the hull is thin. How much is too much to spend on this? I'm thinking maybe 5 gallons of resin with the cap mods, small transom, and some stringer work. Would you guys add another layer of glass to thicken the hull?

Last edited: