22' 19hundredsomthing StarCraft American Fiberglass project,

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings ya'll, and here begins my venture into your domain. This boat (tried to upload a picture but was told: invalid file data) was a gift to us, for our wedding. It may not be much, and it may be awesome. Either way, we find it both interesting and fun. For now, at least.

I have tried to search the interwebz, and my google-fu is still at beginner level. There is much out there, for information regarding 16's and 18's, with a few 20,,, mostly aluminum's,,, but practically nothing for fiberglass 22' American's. With an inboard chevy s/b 350 4 barrel carb, and OMC outdrive.

So, I/we are attempting to piece together whatever information we can garner, and build and engine (it is in our shop right now) and then in the Spring we shall replace as much of the wood paneling and cabinetry as needed to enclose said engine, again.

I'll put up pictures here, as it really is happening, just as soon as I figure out why they won't be accepted, yet.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, tips, pointers, and lore that they'd be willing to share, we'd sure be appreciative. And yes, this IS by far the largest boat I've owned. Prior to this, has all been open aluminum fishing boats. 12', 13.5' Alumarine, 14' Springbok, 14.5' Lund, and now this.

Though I have done a lot of work, and stayed on/sailed on a friends 28' Catalina, but that's another story.

Bondo

Staff member
Greetings ya'll, and here begins my venture into your domain. This boat (tried to upload a picture but was told: invalid file data) was a gift to us, for our wedding. It may not be much, and it may be awesome. Either way, we find it both interesting and fun. For now, at least.

I have tried to search the interwebz, and my google-fu is still at beginner level. There is much out there, for information regarding 16's and 18's, with a few 20,,, mostly aluminum's,,, but practically nothing for fiberglass 22' American's. With an inboard chevy s/b 350 4 barrel carb, and OMC outdrive.

So, I/we are attempting to piece together whatever information we can garner, and build and engine (it is in our shop right now) and then in the Spring we shall replace as much of the wood paneling and cabinetry as needed to enclose said engine, again.

I'll put up pictures here, as it really is happening, just as soon as I figure out why they won't be accepted, yet.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, tips, pointers, and lore that they'd be willing to share, we'd sure be appreciative. And yes, this IS by far the largest boat I've owned. Prior to this, has all been open aluminum fishing boats. 12', 13.5' Alumarine, 14' Springbok, 14.5' Lund, and now this.

Though I have done a lot of work, and stayed on/sailed on a friends 28' Catalina, but that's another story.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Post yer pictures at a picture hostin' site, 'n link 'em back here,...
Photobucket is a common site used by many,...

It sounds like a Fun project, But,...
OMC has been outa business for well over a decade,...
Parts are kinda scarce, 'n knowledge 'bout 'em is even rarer,...
Hopefully, it's a 1986 or Newer OMC, 'n you'll have a chance with it,....
If it's pre-'86, it's a stringer drive, 'n I personally, wouldn't put a penny into it,....

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Yay, it was a 'size' issue, and here's my first pic. As it is, I don't know the year of either the boat, nor the engine/outdrive.

Short version is, the boat was a gift from my friend, who bought it for the engine/drive. To put 'said' into "his" boat which was his father-in-law's (now deceased) to which it wasn't wintered properly.

I have the engine here on a stand, to which I'm replacing the block as it is cracked. Not sure the year/make of the boat it came out of, yet. The mechanic said that it was a 'simple swap of identical parts' from boat A to boat B.

He gave us boat A (which he bought as a donor boat) as well as the engine and out-drive from boat B (which was his deceased father-in-law's) and we're doing the project to simply put it all back together and get out on the water next season.

I have the serial number photographed of our boat, as well as the "info plates" but there are practically NO spec's available, nor listed.

I also have pictures of many different items of the engine and out-drive, as well as the boat interior and whatnot, but I honestly DON'T know what to look for or look at to determine age and/or details.

As it is though, myself and my Lady have no problems enjoying the project of building a s/b 350 marine engine, and see such as fun. The rest of the details, we're still learning what to learn about. The exhaust castings have OMC cast right into them. So far, all seems intact except the outside walls on the bottom of the block. Both sides have been cracked out due to freezing. We're pulling the crank and pistons, next.

We have two blocks sitting there, ready to start prepping. Both are 4-bolt mains.

If anyone knows of what to take pictures of, part wise, then by all means I'll do so. If it hasn't been done already. Truth is, everything seems to be in great condition except for aged and weathered paneling, and the cracked block. And a broken windshield. (only 1 of 4) The seats have all been recently re-upholstered. While it was stored at the Yacht Club, somebody smashed said windshield, and stole the instrument panel.

So begins our foray into cruisers.

Attachments

• Starboard Side - shrunk.jpg
    Starboard Side - shrunk.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yay, it was a 'size' issue, and here's my first pic. As it is, I don't know the year of either the boat, nor the engine/outdrive.

Short version is, the boat was a gift from my friend, who bought it for the engine/drive. To put 'said' into "his" boat which was his father-in-law's (now deceased) to which it wasn't wintered properly.

I have the engine here on a stand, to which I'm replacing the block as it is cracked. Not sure the year/make of the boat it came out of, yet. The mechanic said that it was a 'simple swap of identical parts' from boat A to boat B.

He gave us boat A (which he bought as a donor boat) as well as the engine and out-drive from boat B (which was his deceased father-in-law's) and we're doing the project to simply put it all back together and get out on the water next season.

I have the serial number photographed of our boat, as well as the "info plates" but there are practically NO spec's available, nor listed.

I also have pictures of many different items of the engine and out-drive, as well as the boat interior and whatnot, but I honestly DON'T know what to look for or look at to determine age and/or details.

As it is though, myself and my Lady have no problems enjoying the project of building a s/b 350 marine engine, and see such as fun. The rest of the details, we're still learning what to learn about. The exhaust castings have OMC cast right into them. So far, all seems intact except the outside walls on the bottom of the block. Both sides have been cracked out due to freezing. We're pulling the crank and pistons, next.

We have two blocks sitting there, ready to start prepping. Both are 4-bolt mains.

If anyone knows of what to take pictures of, part wise, then by all means I'll do so. If it hasn't been done already. Truth is, everything seems to be in great condition except for aged and weathered paneling, and the cracked block. And a broken windshield. (only 1 of 4) The seats have all been recently re-upholstered. While it was stored at the Yacht Club, somebody smashed said windshield, and stole the instrument panel.

So begins our foray into cruisers.

Try this link in regards to your boat.; http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2000/Starcraft-Co

Welcome aboard, Pics are what you need to post.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome to dry dock!! Nice looking boat!! Photo bucket is a good way to load your pix.....load them to there free site, click in the box next to "IMG" (to the right of the pix, and then paste it in your post - it will show a large pix of what you are trying to show us.

I would suggest taking pix of every inch/every angle that you can before you disassemble. They will be a enormous help when it comes time to reassemble Do you have a trailer for it?

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Corjen, no, I don't have a trailer for it yet. Hence why it is pictured sitting on those blocks. And as for the pictures before dis-assembly, this was not possible as we were given the parts in 'boxes'. Except for the engine, to which we DID photograph that one. In various stages of dis-assembly.

Anyone have any idea as to how to determine what year that boat is, for starters? As stated previous, I do have a serial number from the Starboard side Transom.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Corjen, no, I don't have a trailer for it yet. Hence why it is pictured sitting on those blocks. And as for the pictures before dis-assembly, this was not possible as we were given the parts in 'boxes'. Except for the engine, to which we DID photograph that one. In various stages of dis-assembly.

Anyone have any idea as to how to determine what year that boat is, for starters? As stated previous, I do have a serial number from the Starboard side Transom.

Do you have a title for the boat? If not find it from the gifter. No title can lead to a lot of wasted time and money.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... If it's newer than 'bout '73, the last 2 digits are the year,....

Pictures of the drive, or even the transom will help Us determine what ya got,...

Urban Z

Cadet
Hi. I joined the forum recently as well as I am also in the phase 1 of an American 22 restoration. Mine is a 1978 and the serial# looks like this:STRD35140378-F8.
During this fall I have removed almost everything from the inside of the boat. Still have some parts left though. Last weekend I removed the rubrail all around so next step is to lift of the top from the hull. Thereafter I will lift the engine and all out of the way before serious cutting will start. All stringers and wood structure will be renewed. I can tell you that it was WET under the floor. Floating material soaked with water, grease and dirt. Check your stringers before you invest in looks and performance. Also, on old boats like this, the fuel tank needs to be checked. My filler and vent hoses were rusted/corroded and very scary to see. In the bottom of the tank there was a lot of grease the can cause fuel starvation in critical situations even with a good filter installed. I know it is more fun to install a shiny option but fuel safety is crucial!

I learned from the members here to use Photo bucket for picture storage/upload. After some initial struggle it works very good. My project is in sleeping "Winter mode" as I don't have an indoor place to work. Freezing temperatures are not that fun when it comes to this type of hobby. Anyway, I look forward to follow your progress and hopefully we can share some experience.

Good luck

Urban

jbcurt00

Staff member
Urban
Try to use the PM system rather then post to inactive topics.

Although Nailer, almost immediately replied, that is not usually the case.
Thanks John