1964 MirroCraft Restoration

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
I know its been a while since I last posted, but wanted to give you guys an update on the progress. I've been able to do some work since my last post. Here a few photos of the progress:

PAINT STRIPPING - I used a product called CitriStrip that worked very well. It cleaned up very well.

PREP FOR PAINT

PRIMER

This is where I am currently with the boat. I'm going to put a coat of filler primer on top of this and then I would be ready for the top coat. I also got the trailer taken apart and sanded, but didn't take any photos of that. I'll post photos of the trailer once its done.

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
REPOSTING PICS THAT DIDN'T LOAD

PAINT STRIPPING

1.jpg 5.jpg

6.jpg 8.jpg

9.jpg 11.jpg

13.jpg 3.jpg

14.JPG 15.JPG

19.JPG

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looking good.:encouragement: I've used the citrus strip before. I liked the way it worked.

Last edited:

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
great work!!! Can't wait to see what colors you choose! It really is YOUR work of art. It has great lines and character, now make it yours!
Dale

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nice looking, been watching this thread as I have a 68 Mirrocraft sitting in the yard waiting to be brought back to glory, look forward to seeing it done.

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
I'm at a good point in the project and finally finished (99.9% - just have to connect the ground wire to trailer) something. I was able to work on the trailer over the weekend and get it done. I sanded, primed and painted it and also installed new winch, bunks, trailer jack and light. Glad with how it turned out.

BEFORE

The Reece Cup III - Photo 18.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 19.JPG

The Reece Cup III - Photo 26.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 24.JPG

The Reece Cup III - Photo 27.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 20.JPG

SANDED

IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

PRIMED

IMG_2291.JPG

PAINTED

IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2296.JPG

AFTER

IMG_2304.JPG IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

Attachments

• The Reece Cup III - Photo 23.JPG
    The Reece Cup III - Photo 23.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 3

ssdale

Awesome job on the trailer. Nothing more gratifying than painting! Gave it the necessary prep and some needed upgrades and she's good to go for another life of fun.:joyous: Following along for the finish!
Dale

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
I know its been a while since I last posted, but just wanted to give you guys an update on where I am in the project. I was reading my last post and saw that I stated how I was at a good point in the project, which I was. However the following weekend, I made a huge mistake and learned my biggest lesson: DO NOT RUSH!!

I had plans to do something with my wife that day, but thought I had a little time to work on the boat so I decide to go ahead and spray the first coat of paint. By the time I got everything all set up, the paint thinned and the boat wiped down, I only had about 45 mins before I need to leave. But thought I should go ahead and do it. So, I took my new spray guns directly out of the box, filled it with paint and started to spray (test it only for 1 mins and did not adjust the regulator). And within 2 mins of finishing, I could already tell it was a bad job as all I could see is the paint running and it was heart breaking. After and got home from my evening out, I looked in the garage and saw runs all over the boat. After this, I didn't touch the boat for a couple of months. I just let it sit in the garage collecting dust. Then one day my wife asked me if I was ever going to finish it and I walked in the garage and started to figure out how I could fix it. Next Post has pics of damage.

Last edited:

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
Every you see white spot is where there was a run. I eventually sanded the out. But this was all over the boat.

IMG_2472.JPG IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

After I sanded it all down, I re-primed the boat and started the painting process over again.

RE-PRIMED

IMG_2490.JPG

PAINTED

IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2580.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 2

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
After getting the boat repainted, I was finally able to get it back on the trailer.

IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2584.JPG
    IMG_2584.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 3

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You know what they say..."Patience IS a Virtue!";)
Paint job looks GOOD!!!!:nod:
What Paint did you use??

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Wood and that was a lesson I learned the hard way. I used all Rustoleum products (primer, paint, cleaners) for the paint job.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
First read of your resto and I gotta say nice work so far! I can see why the Admiral had confidence in you from the start.

Hard to tell from the pic but did you polish the nose and gunnel trim or paint it white? Whichever it is I like it, looks sharp. :)

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks TruckDrivingFool. I'm happy with how it's turning out so far as this is the first time I've done any of this.

As far as the trim, I haven't done anything to it. It just the same aluminum trim that was on the boat. I'll probably polish it up once I'm done with everything to make it shine a little more. I thought if I left the aluminum there that it would be a nice addition to the black paint.

ssdale

Yowzer! That red upholstery and the red swoosh of the 64 rude will really make for a great piece of nautical eye candy! Super job of getting back in the saddle after adversity with paint. I went through a similar deal and hurried with a primer/temperature? mistake and it took months to get my mojo back. Keep on with this great project! Onward and upward!
Dale