78' Columbian Floor Replacement Brand New Boater

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not sure if there is an obvious answer for this but is it necessary to sand down the hull? :confused: From the looks of mine it is in really great shape still besides the underside where its has a few dings and I plan on repairing and painting. But I don't feel I need to sand down everything just to put a new transom in and re floor it. I see alot of people demo, sand, glass, floor, glass, flip, sand, glass, sand, paint. Nothing explains why its done besides everyone else is doing it:noidea:, everyone is great at detailing how its done but I'm looking for why and if i could save myself 12 or so hours of sanding i would be very happy.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You can easily put 3-4 grand in one of these boats just to get them safe, and sea worthy. With all that money invested, we like them to look fresh and new as well. ;)

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
You can easily put 3-4 grand in one of these boats just to get them safe, and sea worthy. With all that money invested, we like them to look fresh and new as well. ;)

Gotchya. Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that would hinder me in the future. There still will be a decent amount of sanding involved either way.

Yours is actually a lot more work than mine was. Looks like you'll be at it for a while. I have about $1000 invested in mine and it is about ready for the water. I found that acitone helps out when your trying to get stuff to stick to fiberglass...I cleaned all my surfaces down with that when it came time for glass. Be prepared to use a lot of resin as well...I went through 6.5 gallons for the floor and stringers. If you have specific questions or need some advise, write Wes Hatch at Suburban Marine, he was very helpful. His father owned the Columbian boat fiberglass facility until they shut down in 78 or so. Real nice guy, and still into boats. They are only about 45 miles from me so I actually went and brought my motor lower end there for repair...We had a nice chat...

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
Yours is actually a lot more work than mine was. Looks like you'll be at it for a while. I have about $1000 invested in mine and it is about ready for the water. I found that acitone helps out when your trying to get stuff to stick to fiberglass...I cleaned all my surfaces down with that when it came time for glass. Be prepared to use a lot of resin as well...I went through 6.5 gallons for the floor and stringers. If you have specific questions or need some advise, write Wes Hatch at Suburban Marine, he was very helpful. His father owned the Columbian boat fiberglass facility until they shut down in 78 or so. Real nice guy, and still into boats. They are only about 45 miles from me so I actually went and brought my motor lower end there for repair...We had a nice chat...

I'm a few hundred in currently not to bad....YET. I've been trying to avoid thinking of how much glass material ill need :faint2: and focus on cutting and grinding. Thats really neat you live so close to their facility, I appreciate the info. I wonder if he would be able to point me in the right direction for my window issue my hinge is bent and twerked out of shape .

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice

I'm a few hundred in currently not to bad....YET. I've been trying to avoid thinking of how much glass material ill need :faint2: and focus on cutting and grinding. Thats really neat you live so close to their facility, I appreciate the info. I wonder if he would be able to point me in the right direction for my window issue my hinge is bent and twerked out of shape .

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
Made some progress this weekend. I've been at a standstill after starting my teardown. I only had the boat supported at a few key points using jackstands with plywood over them so it did not dig into the hull. As more material came out it lost a ton of rigidity and the hull was no longer able to support me. ij3u6J7.jpg?1.jpeg

So I decided it was time to build a quality support frame that can support 4x me. Whats nice is I should also be able to just add a little more too it when it comes time to flip her over and maintain support.
khOe59p.jpg?1.png

pokG1s0.jpg?2.png

2LfL3km.jpg?1.png

It took me all of Sunday but I'm pretty proud of the end result. Now I can focus on gutting her this week, and finally get after that transom and stringer.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice! Just make sure that no hook develops...such as a droop in the hull over the end of a supporting member while you are building.

Lookin' good. Glad you're back at it.

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
I'll keep and eye out thanks jc, it feels good to make some notable progress.

After tearing the rest of the foam out of the boat I found the stringer makes no physical connection with the outflow drainage area. It was just bridged together with foam maybe 2 1/2 inch gap. Is this something I should address? In all the rebuilds I've seen everyone has a completed connection. I would feel better overall if there was no gap after the replacement. Just want to make sure there is no purpose for the gap.

Also reading through another thread I seen a recommendation for Fiber Glass Supply. I live in the Pacific NW near Olympia, WA. I'm getting ready to purchase some glass. I've done a lot of reading on glassing however I'm still a little lost on a few aspects. From what I've read using Biaxial mat and epoxy seem to be the best options. I know that polyester is cheaper but you use more resin due to the type of material needed for poly. I'm also aware that epoxy is a lot harder to use for newbies like myself. I learn quickly tho and am sure I can catch onto it really well after a few tries or practice runs. I just was hoping to get a little bit of input on if I should go ahead and stick with epoxy or if polyester would be just as good.

Last edited:

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
Got a whole lot done this last weekend. Turns out you don't need very many measurements when your able to remove the stringers and transom in one solid piece.:bounce:Because of that I was able to trace them both without a problem. If anyone here doesn't know what to use to cut things out I used an oscillating multi tool for all of it with a Bi-Metal blade and it worked like a charm the whole way through. I've cut my new stringer sideboards and transom out yesterday as well as started grinding out the hull :pout: which is no small task. I've read how much work and dust gets kicked up into the air and didn't appreciate it until now. Holy CRAP! Knocked out about 5 hours of grinding without stopping.

Z0z3oFs.jpg

Unfortunately I did end up putting one hole in hull . Literally 5 seconds after I started grinding :scared:. 0POkjtD.jpg

4XsyzDw.jpg

Decided to call it a night after I got my finger caught slightly towards the end I was getting tired and not paying enough attention figured that was a good sign to end the night. I think Nurseman showed some gloves that protect from that I'm going to be grabbing a tonight after work.

Still could use some input on fiber price isn't necessarily a problem. I want light weight and shes a 15' boat.

Attachments

• Z0z3oFs.jpg
    Z0z3oFs.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Z0z3oFs.jpg
    Z0z3oFs.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4XsyzDw.jpg
    4XsyzDw.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4XsyzDw.jpg
    4XsyzDw.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
That stand is impressive...I used trailer jacks in each corner of mine because I was afraid that the hull was sagging from being on the trailer for so long (5 to 8 years with bad stringers) I put it in the water a week ago and realized that I never tuned the motor...it was a short day. But in the mean time I found that the transom was dust, and spent the last week or so replacing it. (I used the wood leftover from the floor and 9oz cross hatch fiberglass. it is almost back together and ready to tune the motor...then it's another test drive.
You are really getting it looking great, I hope you are having a good time working on it. I disliked some of the work but I feel very satisfied looking at it now!
As for glass. I used 6 oz on the stringers and around the flooring it was 12 inches wide but I cut it in half. the floor is 1.5oz chop strand, and the transom was 9 oz cross hatch. I used several types of resin, about 7 gallons in all (maybe 6.5) mine is 15.5 feet and was originally capable of 85hp, (it has a 50) but my rebuild beefed it up and I believe it could handle a 90. it is more solid than when it was new. (according to Wes Hatch)

Last edited:
as for questions...you can contact Wesley Hatch at this address and he will be glad to help with what he can: PM me for contact details.

MOD EDIT - Email addy removed. Please no email addresses. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
That stand is impressive...I used trailer jacks in each corner of mine because I was afraid that the hull was sagging from being on the trailer for so long (5 to 8 years with bad stringers) I put it in the water a week ago and realized that I never tuned the motor...it was a short day. But in the mean time I found that the transom was dust, and spent the last week or so replacing it. (I used the wood leftover from the floor and 9oz cross hatch fiberglass. it is almost back together and ready to tune the motor...then it's another test drive.
You are really getting it looking great, I hope you are having a good time working on it. I disliked some of the work but I feel very satisfied looking at it now!
As for glass. I used 6 oz on the stringers and around the flooring it was 12 inches wide but I cut it in half. the floor is 1.5oz chop strand, and the transom was 9 oz cross hatch. I used several types of resin, about 7 gallons in all (maybe 6.5) mine is 15.5 feet and was originally capable of 85hp, (it has a 50) but my rebuild beefed it up and I believe it could handle a 90. it is more solid than when it was new. (according to Wes Hatch)

Nice to hear you got yours in the water already I'm jealous, even if you realized there is more work to be done.

I'm assuming your using polyester?

I think that I've decided to go with Epoxy. 1708 6oz for the floor and stringers I'm curious if one layer will be enough for the floor. I'm trying to keep as much weight out of the boat as possible. As for the transom I figured 8oz 1708 would work just fine and do 2 layers just for peace of mind.

I found a place out west about 20 minutes seeing what kind of materials they have to offer they have no website so waiting on a reply right now.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Epoxy will kick azz! US composites seems like good pricing for me. 1708 , no matt backing. will do everything you need to on your GREAT WORK! :joyous: If you switch over to poly then use 1708 with matt backing. check their site, pretty informative. Even if you go to another vendor the info is a good read. If local man you have save a bundle on hazmat shipping.

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
Epoxy will kick azz! US composites seems like good pricing for me. 1708 , no matt backing. will do everything you need to on your GREAT WORK! :joyous: If you switch over to poly then use 1708 with matt backing. check their site, pretty informative. Even if you go to another vendor the info is a good read. If local man you have save a bundle on hazmat shipping.

No matt backing, check! Thanks for the quick info. Ya I've put together a list, can't find any good places closer than Fiber Glass Supply so will more than likely be ordering from them just need to make the order worth my while.

Been busy but I did end up having to replace the transom 2 weeks ago...it turned out to be mush and had carpenter ants oozing out of it. I had enough of the wood left from the floor to replace it. So it got done, put in the water and now the motor is giving me issues...found a guy that works on them in his spare time, Looks like maybe by Memorial day we'll be back in the water!!! Your project is coming along...I kind of wish that I had pulled the top off when I did the stringers, but was usually by myself and not real familiar with the construction...Hind sight you know...I put together a slide show of mine start to finish, but I am waiting until it actually runs before I finish it. Good luck and keep up the good work!