Fiberglass Grinder Dust Shields

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
dust shield.jpg

These grinder dust shields are used in concrete work to attach to a shop vac using the filter dust bags, however, it looks to me like they need to lay flat to work, which is how concrete and thinset and such are ground for the most part. For the fiberglass work I'm doing, I'd be using a
ZEC Litex Grinding Disc/Wheel 16 grit and taking off fiberglass at an angle and the dust shield would not be flush with the surface. Do these dust shields even work for like taking off stringers and such at a 5- 15 degree angle?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Klink, I just recently finished doing all my fiberglass grinding with an angle grinder, but I didn't go quite as course as 16 grit disks, I used 80 grit. I didn't have anything like that shield either. Looks interesting and I guess you can try it to see how well it works. I just suited up in a Tyvek coverall suit with a 3M respirator with quality vapor type cartridges and a new tight fitting goggles for my eyes. And after a few hours of grinding I would come out to breathe fresh air without respirator and vacuum up the dust with my shop vac. I was amazed how much grinding dust I would make during each grinding section. My entire grinding effort took about a week, spread out over many hours each day... But it is now done...yeh! If you do use that shield, I'd still use a really good respirator anyway. That dust can get into everything...and let use know how it worked. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I seriously doubt the shield will be very effective. As stated it's built to capture the dust when used "On the Flat". You won't be grinding that way. Building a large dust collection box for your shop vac and placing it in close proximity to the grinder will be more effective and the use of box fans with A/C filters taped to the back of them helps too. Bottom line is...It's next to impossible to capture the mass amounts of dust created from the grinding process. Haven't seen a real effective process for it yet. ;)

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
As stated it's built to capture the dust when used "On the Flat". You won't be grinding that way. Haven't seen a real effective process for it yet. ;)

Looking for something else I found these dust collection system which are designed for angle work:

angle-dust-air.jpg
Dust%20Extraction%20MAIN%20L%201506%20VV.jpg

They came from http://www.csunitec.com/sanding_polishing_grinding_finishing/angle-grinders_sanders_polishers.html
My job is too small to warrant buying any of these, but for a bigger user, it might be the ticket.

Last edited:

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you go with a good respirator, and you should. a couple things first.do you have high blood pressure? any shortness of breath? These are thing to think about as a negative pressure respirator taxes your respiratory system. Hear at my place of employment you cant wear a respirator until you have a lung function test followed up by a heat check up and physical. So if you have any health concerns get checked before you use a respirator. DO NOT do the work with out one!! For the grindin it off part of the project you might be fine with a P95 or P100 mask. These both seal but are easier to breath with. When applying new glass follow the SDS sheets instructions for your health's sake.

WZ

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
WZ....Nice statement. We have the same policy?s at my work too... Regarding wearing a respirator. Dust masks are not considered respirator?s?they are dust mask?s??. If you have to wear a respirator you need to be fit tested....... Now on the dust cover for an angle grinder??those proly would work out in the open flat surface but in tight corners of a boat they would be cumbersome. I like Woodonglass suggestion, you have to be creative when it comes to out of position grinding for say. Think outside the box!

Good Luck with your restoration project!

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the safety advice guys. It looks like your greater concern is with the breathing of chemicals when fiberglassing. It is good that you stressed it because I was more concerned with the dust. For now I'm just taking out some fiberglass over plywood small casting decks additions done by someone else. They were not well sealed and so water has damaged the wood and big cracks are in support areas. The decks are also pretty much useless as they are too low to allow storage. If they were sound structurally, I would live with them, however, they are not, so I will be cutting them out. I will use a Sawzall, and a Sawzall flush cutting attachment I have to cut out the pieces almost (hopefully) flush with the original boat contours (it's a 1968 Boston Whaler 16'7 ). Then I shall grind down and sand what is left.

As far as safety equipment, I have a full Tyvek suit with hood and feet. I intend to buy a Gerson 9900 full face respirator with the pink pancake P100 particle filter for the grinding. I shall order some Gerson can chemical filters for the fiberglass work.

What type of gloves should I use for the grinding that provide a good feel?
What type of gloves that are comfortable and don't break for fiberglass work?

Till those things arrive, I will be doing the Sawzall cutting (no grinding) while just wearing long sleeve sweat shirt, leather glove, P95 dust mask and safety glasses.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Klink, Fiberglass grinding effects people differently. I started out with the Tyvek total coverall, covering from head to even my shoes, and latex gloves and 3M respirator with cartridges for vapor and new tight fitting goggles as well. I looked like something from outer space but without the alien popping out of my stomach...I think? But as I would take breaks from the work and get some drink and such, I stopped using any gloves and I didn't have any issues with fiberglass itching and such. But I have read where others, even covered head to toe had huge issues with that dust. As you start to grind, you will learn real quick what "that dust" really means. I vacuumed literally pounds of fiberglass dust from my grinding project. I honestly couldn't believe the amounts I produced. And everything within 50 yards was covered with it too... But I really never experienced much in the itching lines myself. But that will be evident once you get started with your grinding... Just use some common sense and you'll be okay. Everybody else learned what worked for them and lived. So you will too... Take some before, during and after pictures for us to see too... We all like pictures! :D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Before wrapping yourself up in tyvek, give your skin a good rub down with baby powder to help prevent any dust that reaches your skin from becoming itchy...especially around any exposed facial/neck regions...

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is that the Ironclad ICRM-04-L Cut Resistant Max Gloves, Large ? The dust does not penetrate it in the back?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
^^^^Ditto what Woody said!! I like to tape my tyvek sleeves to the cuff of the glove to keep the dust out.

Thanks for the safety advice guys. It looks like your greater concern is with the breathing of chemicals when fiberglassing. It is good that you stressed it because I was more concerned with the dust.

You should be very concerned with not breathing the dust. Fiberglass dust is just microscopic bits of glass, which when inhaled, will not ever come out of your lungs!:eek:. The chemical fumes are not good for you either, but breathing the dust is probably the major health concern. I would not recommend using only a dust mask. Go with the full face respirator, you will not regret it.

Good luck on your project!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yep, NM is the guy that Taught ME about these Gloves!!!! They are AWESOME!!!! Taping the WRISTS and your Ankles too is THE WAY to go!!!! Helps keep the ITCH off.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
^^^^Ditto what Woody said!! I like to tape my tyvek sleeves to the cuff of the glove to keep the dust out.

Fiberglass dust is just microscopic bits of glass, which when inhaled, will not ever come out of your lungs!:eek:.

I'm curious where you got this information. Is this something recent? It is contrary to the former findings that fibeglass does not stay in your lungs like asbestos does. I'm not trying to start an argument but if there is some new information I'd love to read it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying breathing fiberglass dust is a good idea! I have been state certified to remove asbestos for 25 years . I totally agree with every ones thoughts on proper PPE and I like the idea of those dust shields and will order one. Dust from grinding just about anything is not healthy.

Last edited:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not to ever imply that breathing fiberglass is okay but that brings up an interesting topic K-2. (I'm asbestos removal certified too) Check this out...

http://www.lung.org/healthy-air/home/resources/fiberglass.html

Have you guys ever rolled out some fresh CSM without a respirator? I have. There were millions of tiny glass particles in the air...yikes! While demolishing my boat I had imbalance and dizziness issues that I attributed to the mold I found under the deck. I started wearing my respirator more and they went away in a week. Maybe it's the glass...I should wear mine more than I do.