My Pontoon Restoration...

satt

Cadet
You should have a real battery hooked up to your motor when you use that jumper battery.That booster pack specifically says it will not act as a load to your charging system.

I am planning on buying a normal battery. This is just a temporary use item and I will keep it for my car and boat later on in emergencies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am planning on buying a normal battery. This is just a temporary use item and I will keep it for my car and boat later on in emergencies.

What I am saying is don't even use it once without a battery hooked up to your charging system. If you do, you will wipe out your charging system.

EDIT: It is possible that your outboard is ok running without a load but I would make sure before you do it.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I belive that is teak, just by the apperance. Teak turns grey when it ages.If it was regular wood it would have rotted. Give it a little sanding and watch the color show up. Then post a pic of it.

satt

Cadet
What I am saying is don't even use it once without a battery hooked up to your charging system. If you do, you will wipe out your charging system.

EDIT: It is possible that your outboard is ok running without a load but I would make sure before you do it.

Oh ok. I see what you're saying.

Thanks for the tip.

I will make sure I get a battery hooked up first.

You may have saved me some money!!! :rockon:

satt

Cadet
I belive that is teak, just by the apperance. Teak turns grey when it ages.If it was regular wood it would have rotted. Give it a little sanding and watch the color show up. Then post a pic of it.

Roger that.

When I get the boat completely stripped down, I will work on sanding the table and post pics.

Thanks! :)

satt

Cadet
I recently learned how to use Google SketchUp.

I was really excited to use it to start planning my pontoon's new look.

Here is my first attempt!!!

Design%2BDraft.jpg

The seats in this drawing are really just place holders. (They won't be cylinders.)

I am thinking of putting a bar on the back with four bar stools, two swivel chairs with a table in between them, a small driver's console area, and two loungers.

There will also be a grill area and a foot pump sink on the sides of the old swim deck.

I am thinking of using one of the loungers as a pop-up changing room/potty and the other one as life jacket storage.

I am also thinking about putting a fridge under the bar. (Possibly)

For now though, I am still working on the teardown when I have time.

More updates to come!

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looks good. I have found that 3d software really helps me to visualize how things will look and I need that.

satt

Cadet
I had a little time this afternoon to work on the teardown again.

First lesson learned...don't use cheap tools. I was going to drill out all the rivets on the side rails, but the crappy drill bit bent on the first one!

IMG_6307.JPG

So I decided to take out the bench seats on the back of the boat. They weren't bolted down which was nice. They were very heavy though and as I was tossing it off the front of the boat, I accidentally smashed the port side head light. Oh well, I wasn't going to use that anyway.

IMG_6309.JPG

This is what the back of the boat looked like after the bench seats were gone. It's all coming out so no worries.

IMG_6311.JPG

The table was actually kind of hard to wiggle out, but the captain's chair came right up.

IMG_6313.JPG

The base of the captain's chair was done very professionally.

IMG_6314.JPG

I threw away a lot of things, but I was able to salvage the Bimini top, the table top, the captain's chair, the old anchor, and the old gas tank. I am only using the hoses off the old gas tank. I am planning on getting a new one.

IMG_6315%2B(1).JPG

That's is for today. I will keep you updated. :couch2:

Last edited:

satt

Cadet
I worked on getting the control console wiring disconnected so I could take of the console.

IMG_6323.JPG

I was able to take off the steering wheel and disconnect the steering cable, but the steering unit was too big to fit through the bottom of the console or the hole in the plywood. I will need to do some research on how the steering cable is assembled and how I can manipulate it without breaking it and having to buy a new one. I may just tear apart the console wood and cut the hole bigger on the floor.

IMG_6324.JPG

If any of you have any tips about the steering cable stuff, please let me know.

Thanks! :help:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's fairly straight forward...This should be of interest showing how the cable is installed...

To get it out, on the side of the fitting where the cable goes in, there is a hole, this is the release point.
Push in with something that will fit in the hole.
This releases the cable. Then turn the wheel, and the cable backs out of the helm.

Last edited:

satt

Cadet
It's fairly straight forward...This should be of interest showing how the cable is installed...

To get it out, on the side of the fitting where the cable goes in, there is a hole, this is the release point.
Push in with something that will fit in the hole.
This releases the cable. Then turn the wheel, and the cable backs out of the helm.

Thank you so much!

I love this forum!!! :applause:

satt

Cadet
Update: after watching the video above, I was able to get the steering cable out of the console and take the console off the boat!

I finally got a small amount of time after the holidays to work on the boat stuff.

It has been WAY too cold to work much outside,but I spent some time in my garage organizing my new workstation for the boat furniture/parts.

Here is my new workstation and battery charging station.

IMG_6685.JPG

Hopefully I will be able to update more often in the near future.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work station ! Just watch yer head on that upper metal rail .. :D