installing a ski pylon?

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
at one time my boat had the ski pylon in it. it still has the mounts on the top of the transom for the two support rods. my question is how strong does the base have to be? I'm almost finished with my new 3/4" ply deck at the point where the base lines up I've doubled the plywood carrying the reinforced section about a foot larger then the base itself. I plan on using blind nuts with grade 8 3/8" bolts to attach the base to the deck. I guess I'm worried that it won't be strong enough under the load of a tuber or skier behind it, what do you guys think?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm you're still gunna be using the two support rods extending to the top of the transom...Right???

Bondo

Staff member
I was considering it :eek:.... lol ya I am :lol:

Ayuh,.... It sounds like ya got it stout enough, the forces in play are, Aft pullin' against the support rods, 'n forward pullin' against the base,...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As Bondo says the majority of the force when pulling tubers will be on the ring and the transom with some upward LIFTING force on the base. I'd say you're good to go.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The main reason to be careful when tubing from a Pylon is that the height of the pylon can have a tendency to make certain styles of tubes want to go "Airborne"!!! You need to take precautions at first to determine the characteristics of yours. You can rig it so this doesn't happen if necessary!!;)