1985 Proline CC Renovation. Need Tips and Advice on Paint

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am getting ready to start redoing my 85 proline. I was curious on a couple of things. I have some holes in it where things were mounted and are no longer there and wanted to know what I can fill those with before I get ready to paint the interior. Second I am going to repaint the interior this time and do the exterior at a later date. What kind of paint can I use for the interior and also how do I make the floor non-skid.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
3M Premium Marine filler is great for filling holes ... Make sure you grind a little divot around the hole and clean with acetone before you apply the filler .. All types of paint out there just depends on how much you want to spend .. There are additives you can put in the paint to make nonskid . Some just use clean sand ..

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here's a pic of the boat will add pics of interior tomorrow

Attachments

• photo212566.jpg
    photo212566.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Moderate budget and moderately anal lol. I know I will never get the factory look out of it but I still want it to look good and LAST

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another question I had was in pulling the rub rail on it what am I getting into? Is that what also keeps the top cap attached to the sides. I want to remove it to get good paint there plus I have one place on cap to repair gel coat.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
On some boats the rub rail is used to make the complete cap to hull connection but on most the connection is made first, and the rub rail fastening method is just added strength to that connection plus holding the rub rail on. Just pull part of the rail and look under to see if there are screws, rivets, bolts, etc. under it. If there are a few your good to go, if not add some as you go along. You'll be fine. You said that it won't be as good as factory,,,,,not true, good chance it will be just as good or better than factory if you do it right. Preperation, preparation, preparation,,,,,,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, the pic shows a Center Console boat. Some of these are of a "Tub Construction" and that changes a few things. We'll need to see some pics to give the best advice.;)

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so tractor paint will do the job on the interior and the exterior and will hold up well?

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Uhmmm, the pic shows a Center Console boat. Some of these are of a "Tub Construction" and that changes a few things. We'll need to see some pics to give the best advice.;)

sorry I cant get pics to upload Ill have to try and get some uploaded later

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On the pictures if you try to upload directly it isn't working too good since they upgraded some months back. But, if you get a free photobucket account and upload there you can just copy the IMG link and paste it directly into your post, that almost always works and we get to see a good sized picture without having to do any extra clicking.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tried to do the photo bucket thing it keeps telling me bad URL IM copying and pasting the image link. the only one I can get to accept is the one below and I couldn't get it to come up. let me know if it works please

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, when you go to put the picture in don't click anything on iboats just do a paste of the IMG link you copied from PB. It will show as a link but once you hit preview or post the picture will appear. Let me know if I'm not making sense or you already tried that and it didn't work. You are almost there, I know how frustrating it can be!

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess this will be my before pics. I will update as I move along. Hoping its not to long though lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As I suspected your boat is a tub constructed type and is probably totally foam filled below deck you will probably need to cut away the deck instead of removing the cap at the rub rail

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
The only reason i need to remove rub rail is to paint. Hull is solid as a rock all the way to the stringers. I inspected those through the center access panel.