1976 Fiberform Trihull restoration

Durbin

Cadet
I’m restoring a 1976 Fiberform trihull and all the plywood deck and wood structure is rotted. Do I need to remove the foam and replace the foam between the structures or can I leave the foam and replace the rotted structural members?

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If by "wood structure" you mean the wood between the deck and and hull (stringers and bulkheads) yes the foam there will have to be removed. You're gonna need access to cut, grind and reglass.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats!

I may be a tinner but I enjoying checking out glass projects too. Post up some pics of your project when you get the chance. Sounds like you got your work cut out for you this winter. With rotten stringers and decks comes water logged foam that has to be removed and then replaced.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm presently rebuilding a 1976 Tom Boy tri-haul boat myself. And if your wood is anything like mine was, YES everything has to be replaced. The foam that was in my boat was so water soaked that it weighed more then you would even imagine. I think I removed about two hundred pounds of water soaked form from underneath the rotted floor. The transom was rotted and removed, the floor the stringers the raised deck, everything rotted and removed. But if you have the wants, it all can be reworked to give you a very nice boat when refinished correctly. You can read my efforts thus far if you want. It is a 1976 Tom Boy boat, motor, trailer and even the trolling motor project. And I think it is the only one listed on these forums...

Durbin

Cadet
Thank you for the information. I tried to attach some pics but I couldn't because it exceeded the limits of what was allowed so I will need to figure out how do this.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Easiest way for pix is to get a free photobucket account, upload your pix to that, click the "box next to IMG code, and paste in your thread, that will paste big pix into your post. Easier for us to see what you are talking about!! We are all pix junkies!!!

like this....

Welcome to DRY DOCK Sir!!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks for the peak at her guts, now when your viewing the pic in photobucket look to the right at the lines and click in the one that says IMG and then paste the copied link code into your post here like so...

Durbin

Cadet
Thanks for the help on posting bigger pic. This is what it looked like when I started.
I started tarring foam out today and will get more pics tomorrow.
I’ve been considering taking the top end off so I can get to the front easier but not sure if or where to get the rubber trim if I mess it up taking it apart. Does anyone know where I can get new rubber trim?