Peeling paint

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I was feeling really ambitious and decided to paint my boat with tractor paint. So I primed sanded and painted it blue. Looked great so I thought, it's missing some old school flames. Lol.( I'm haveing fun)
So I sanded base,layed out flames,taped and painted. Looked great
Then it was time to pull off fine line tape and the base coat is sticking to the tape. Looked like crap,so I sanded entire side of hull again with a courser sand paper thinking maybe the primer was to smooth.
Same results. Can I be thinning my paint to much and that is causing this to happen?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't think it is poor prep on the surface,I was very detailed when prepping surface.

pckeen

Commander
We need some more information: what is the underlying surface, how did you prep it, what primer was used, what top coat, what additives if any did you use, and what were the conditions that you painted in?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Fiberglass, sanded with 80 grit,de glossed and wiped with mineral sprints then tacked. Van sicle primer was layed then wet sanded with 250, wiped with sprints and tacked. Van sicle base coat was layed with hardner in it with the recommended amount and sweat in time thin reduced 50 50 with sprints.
Weather is perfect, 85 to 90 when sprayed.

zool

Captain
Could be one or more of many issues, not enough pressure on tape edge, failure to use a dewaxer/degreaser properly (contamination), tape not being pulled back upon itself when removing., outside of tape removal window, ect.

did u follow the tech sheet for the paint system?

I find with 3m FL, you need to adhere it tight, like with a pinky nail, and pull it back upon itself, leaning towards the paint edge when removing, and inside the removal window...

Properly degreasing is done with a 2 rag wipe method, changing rags frequently...you basically float any contaminates up into the liquid, and wipe away with the second rag...if not done right, the paint can pull...

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow, thanks zoo. This is my first time painting a boat and it's all new to me. I'll keep your tips in mind. I did not use 2 rags to degloss.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Could be one or more of many issues, not enough pressure on tape edge, failure to use a dewaxer/degreaser properly (contamination), tape not being pulled back upon itself when removing., outside of tape removal window, ect.
did u follow the tech sheet for the paint system?
I find with 3m FL, you need to adhere it tight, like with a pinky nail, and pull it back upon itself, leaning towards the paint edge when removing, and inside the removal window...
Properly degreasing is done with a 2 rag wipe method, changing rags frequently...you basically float any contaminates up into the liquid, and wipe away with the second rag...if not done right, the paint can pull...

This^^^^^^^^

There is a fineline tape removal window and procedure. I used a lot of 3M fineline on my Sport craft.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey PG how long has the Original (Peeling paint) been cured? Sounds like it might still be "Green" and not ready for the "Flames"

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey PG how long has the Original (Peeling paint) been cured? Sounds like it might still be "Green" and not ready for the "Flames"

I thought that also, I thought two to 3 days would be good?
It's strange, it's just not sticking to primer and in areas when pulling tape the base pulls up with no resistance what so ever.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On the first attempt the tape was on for about two weeks and the second attempt, two to three days but it is outside.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That sounds like the same type for problem Decker was having on his trailer WOG. Maybe?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I do believe you are correct WOG. I looked at it today and we're the paint didn't peel from the tape it was a lighter blue like it peeled a layer off just not thru to the primer.
So I sanded it down with 80 grit and I'll start again and let the base cure for a month before putting any tape on it this time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the Paint is Mixed well and there's Not a lot of sediment in the can. If the ingredients separate then it's not easy to get them to mix back together and the paint won't cure properly. How OLD is the paint? Does it seem to be curing solid and Hard? Are you sure the Hardener Ratio was correct? What were the temps during the cure process? I would never leave tape on for more than 8 hours.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Had the same problem with Lisa's Ouachita . Tape left on for a couple days .. Just took part of the darker blue stripe off in a couple places .. And that was with the 2 part epoxy paint ...

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Make sure the Paint is Mixed well and there's Not a lot of sediment in the can. If the ingredients separate then it's not easy to get them to mix back together and the paint won't cure properly. How OLD is the paint? Does it seem to be curing solid and Hard? Are you sure the Hardener Ratio was correct? What were the temps during the cure process? I would never leave tape on for more than 8 hours.
The paint does seem to be hard.
Temps were 80 to 90 during daylight and 65 to 75 at night but now it's much cooler.
It takes so much time prepping the flames. Taping them with fine line and then masking them and then 3 diffrenent colors for the flames, I don't think I can do it in that time and get the tape off.
I'll come up with something to get the tape off sooner.
Thanks again buddy.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Had the same problem with Lisa's Ouachita . Tape left on for a couple days .. Just took part of the darker blue stripe off in a couple places .. And that was with the 2 part epoxy paint ...
That's crazy. I'm useing the blue 3m,it just doesn't seem like it has that much bite but i guess it does.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
With those temps I would think after a month you should have been able to leave the tape on for a week and not have it lift the paint. Especially the Fine Line tape. Somethings screwy!!!

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
With those temps I would think after a month you should have been able to leave the tape on for a week and not have it lift the paint. Especially the Fine Line tape. Somethings screwy!!!
The first time I layed the tape, the paint cured for about one week. Second time, two days or so.
The paint seemed alright but it could of been old.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

imagejpg1.jpg

Attachments

• photo212267.jpg
    photo212267.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212268.jpg
    photo212268.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212269.jpg