1910 trophy Bayliner

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea it's readily available from nearly everywhere. Just wanted to show you what was out there and the applications so you could read up on it.. Even in Cananada.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Mike... do you know how much resin you have used so far? And how much foam?

i have use so far believe it or not 17 gallons im sure i will hit the 19 gallon mark... i dis monster size fillets, i used a salad stainless size spoon for the arc.

foam i used 1 1/3 gallons of each part.. heated up the garage a good 80degree mark that stuff expands QUICK there is no time screwing around when you pour them together.

a little hint have one guy pour 600 ml of each part in each his hands then u have yourself a painters stick ready with a big 1 gallond mixing cup and mix a good 25 seconds. i have to say that was fun to say the least

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Yea it's readily available from nearly everywhere. Just wanted to show you what was out there and the applications so you could read up on it.. Even in Cananada.
readily available not too sure..

i dont want to go spent 20=30$ of gas to go get that.

if i use my Aerosil would that still be sandable the scratches are pretty small

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
i have use so far believe it or not 17 gallons im sure i will hit the 19 gallon mark... i dis monster size fillets, i used a salad stainless size spoon for the arc.

Holy crow! I'm 2/3 of the way through my 6 gallons of epoxy. You're further ahead, and your boat is bigger, but I hadn't expected that you'd go that high.

I expect to end up using 8 gallons or so.

foam i used 1 1/3 gallons of each part.. heated up the garage a good 80degree mark that stuff expands QUICK there is no time screwing around when you pour them together.

That's good to know. I bought 5 gallons of 5lb foam 18 months ago for my previous project... hopefully it's still good. If so I should have plenty.

I'd mail you some microballons, but it's a white powder and that might not go over well.... :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
readily available not too sure..

i dont want to go spent 20=30$ of gas to go get that.

if i use my Aerosil would that still be sandable the scratches are pretty small

Yup just will be harder to sand out and fair. The other items are feather weight and shipping is non hazmat. I guess it depends on much much you need,.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
thanks for the offer Arawak. but like kcassels states ill just sand a little more. my main stringers are 12 feet long and the juniors are around 10 but like ii said probably used almost 2 gallons in just PB i really wamted some space between the plywood and the hull. also i had plenty of waist due to my first time applying fiberglass.. used up18 yards of 1708 and 20 yards of csm 6 plywoods half inch with Very little waist

Last edited:

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Well here it is my fellow boaters... 2 coats of primer sanded down like glass then i shoot Brightside and i get a fine orange peel. im a little bumed about it but hey it is a fishing boat i spoke the Interlux Rep and followed his guid line. i will sand her 320 grit and add to 30% xylene see what happens. the pic looks good but got to say i should have gone gelcote that way at least i could have got the gloss that i was looking for but i know i would have to give a lot of elbow grease..

No regrets happy overall

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
so the cap is on..

it took a little convincing and has a small gap at the nose of the boat. you coukd see the look with those awe full stickers and the otherside i got her sanded,

cant wait to hit the paint on the cap and then the center console.

just plugging along.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Yay, great work!!!!

Man... you started after me and finished before. Making me feel like a slowpoke :)

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
you are no slowpoke my friend... I was fortunate to have a garage heated all winter.

21 gallons on the nose maybe2 gallons waste i.e extra,running, wrong mix etc... ,my first time glassing so I hope its to be expected.

how are you doing?

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
well guys sorry for the delay with the fishing trip work family i did not have time to post results.

here is most of the updates..

when i put the cap back on we struggle a bit and was missing 1/2 at the bow. the rest was a snugg fit.
if i would have to redo the job( i wont) i would have gone with the gelcoat process instead of the paint. it just not durable.
im happy for my first build and was very fortunate to have a few of your guide me in the right direction.
but the truth is if your not very handy dont go ahead with a project like this. keep in mind that i love the fact everyone wants to help but at the end you must be realistic with your capabilities. ive been a contractor for 15 years also a carpenter and without my general knowledge in construction this would have been a bust.
on a different note the final bill was about 2k with all the bells and whistles. i used about 20gal of vynelster resin and learned a bunch. at the end im happy with the overall success and would do it again in about 5-10 on another boat if ever it comes my way?

again thanks guys and enjoy the boats..

mike

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Looks great Mike!

I had a bit of trouble with the fit at first too. In the end i fit the bow first, riveted it in place, then slowly lowered the back, riveting along as I went. Fit perfectly in the end.