1910 trophy Bayliner

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
ok that perfect.. i will apply the csm...

i know it sounds green but i have not found any details in how much ove the edge of the stringer or how to pull and tug(LOL)

i tried pulling but the csm is pretty solid it almost want to tear in half instead only the edges.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Mike, thank you for the reply. FisheyMikey, just pinch one side at about the width you want to cap the stringer and tug it apart at the pinch with your other hand. It will come off as frayed/loose ends and thats how you want it. Wet out the surface, let it get tacky, apply frayed csm, wet out with brush not roller.
Just prior to it setting up you can cut edged with a good sharp razor or scissors or let set up then polish up edges with grinder.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Mike, thank you for the reply. FisheyMikey, just pinch one side at about the width you want to cap the stringer and tug it apart at the pinch with your other hand. It will come off as frayed/loose ends and thats how you want it. Wet out the surface, let it get tacky, apply frayed csm, wet out with brush not roller.
Just prior to it setting up you can cut edged with a good sharp razor or scissors or let set up then polish up edges with grinder.

thanks Kassells thats what i needed. never thought about the brush..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Go check the vid WOG just posted. A lot of good detail. Definitely worth the watch.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
well gentlemen or if you like me a redneck... so far so good.. pl the plywood also laid the plywood with a small slope towards the center to the boat. i dont want any water accumulating anywhere under the deck. tomorrow waterproffing the remaining plywood and then here come foam baby.

i bought the paint and almost ready to start the sanding process. here in quebec i could not find anywhere any tractor paint or 2 part polyurathane.. so i went ahead and boought some brightside paint. ppl from interlux were very nice and gave me some tips when i called. they also told me for their product they recomend at least 25% xylene for diluting for a better spray

hope it looks good

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh the paint, no, no not the paint....again. It's like the [h=3]The Iliad and Odyssey[/h] To foam or not to foam............
Only kidding. You will get some great directions and I'll be doing the same questions like you when my time comes! There are so many cool ways to do this. The Mentors are afoot.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
lol... What Is A Mentor And Why Do You Need One??

The roots of the practice are lost in antiquity. The word itself was inspired by the character of Mentor in Homer's Odyssey. Though the actual Mentor in the story is a somewhat ineffective old man, the goddess Athena takes on his appearance in order to guide young Telemachus in his time of difficulty.

In Greek mythology, Mentor (Greek: Μέντωρ / M?ntōr)[1] was the son of Alcumus and, in his old age, a friend of Odysseus. When Odysseus left for the Trojan War he placed Mentor in charge of his son, Telemachus, and of his palace. When Athena visited Telemachus she took the disguise of Mentor to hide herself from the suitors of Telemachus' mother Penelope.[2] As Mentor, the goddess encourages Telemachus to stand up against the suitors and to go abroad in order to learn out about his father.

Today mentors provide their expertise to less experienced individuals in order to help them advance their careers, enhance their education, and build their networks. Many of the world's most successful people have benefited from having a mentor including:

Last edited by a moderator:

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
hi everyone here is the latest... waterproofed all bulkheads and skilockers etc...

i foamed everywhere had some fun with it but i did order too much..

here is the question in hands and hope i could get some guidance.

towards the bow of the boat there is remaining stingers.. can i pour inbetween stringers and just leave it exposed or do i need to again put the plywood.

also were the wholes i did to pour the foam do i need to reseal the with CSM or just roll some resin on top??

thanks

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
hi everyone here is the latest... waterproofed all bulkheads and skilockers etc...

i foamed everywhere had some fun with it but i did order too much..

here is the question in hands and hope i could get some guidance.

towards the bow of the boat there is remaining stingers.. can i pour inbetween stringers and just leave it exposed or do i need to again put the plywood.

also were the wholes i did to pour the foam do i need to reseal the with CSM or just roll some resin on top??

thanks
A pic of the area would be cool to understand better. But why not just install a pc of ply to seal that off completely? Or make the pour, trim it down then cover w/ply.
You can use PB to seal the holes. Usually if the holes are cut out with a hole saw in the deck then that pc. would go back w/some pb and then sealed with resin. I hope this helps answer the questions.

Last edited:

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
the pic is above but i guess i should have take a close up.

if you look at the pic you can see the junior stringers are leading upwards and i cant see how i could engineer the top piece of plywood. i was just wondering can i just pour let the foam expand cut and reshape the foam do desire level then just roll some resin on it? but if i do that then the fooam will crack and break off then i will need to re asses my work..

for the wholes i guess i will just add a piece of CSM on each whole and cover up

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
the pic is above but i guess i should have take a close up.

if you look at the pic you can see the junior stringers are leading upwards and i cant see how i could engineer the top piece of plywood. i was just wondering can i just pour let the foam expand cut and reshape the foam do desire level then just roll some resin on it? but if i do that then the fooam will crack and break off then i will need to re asses my work..

for the wholes i guess i will just add a piece of CSM on each whole and cover up
Work looks great but I can't get my minds eye wrapped around the area in specific to where you are talking about. Seems though Mike you always have been able to make it work out.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
lol... What Is A Mentor And Why Do You Need One??

The roots of the practice are lost in antiquity. The word itself was inspired by the character of Mentor in Homer's Odyssey. Though the actual Mentor in the story is a somewhat ineffective old man, the goddess Athena takes on his appearance in order to guide young Telemachus in his time of difficulty.

In Greek mythology, Mentor (Greek: Μέντωρ / M?ntōr)[1] was the son of Alcumus and, in his old age, a friend of Odysseus. When Odysseus left for the Trojan War he placed Mentor in charge of his son, Telemachus, and of his palace. When Athena visited Telemachus she took the disguise of Mentor to hide herself from the suitors of Telemachus' mother Penelope.[2] As Mentor, the goddess encourages Telemachus to stand up against the suitors and to go abroad in order to learn out about his father.

Today mentors provide their expertise to less experienced individuals in order to help them advance their careers, enhance their education, and build their networks. Many of the world's most successful people have benefited from having a mentor including:

Last edited by southkogs; March 13th, 2015, 06:14 PM. Reason: Definition was okay, but the link/picture was rule breaker. Thanks.

South Hog,

Oh no, no...please not that...Please let me know what the reason was. Other than" This may
be a copyright.". Please provide rule number, titled under caption of the sub rule here in indicated. It's a web pic not a battle. How contrite. I did not claim this as my picture.

commonplace.jpg

images

Sorry for the stupid bump

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The pic in question was a link, that's why. The linked site is not we like to see. That's all it was.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
GA,
Thank you. Go figure. a link....Like alot of my friends who have the disability to express themselves properly in the English language;use this word, like
Seriously?
Well thanks for the feedback and I'll keep an EYE out for the link stuff. I've been around for like 2-3 years and this guy pops up out of a mole hill hole to correct me on interfacing.
Seriously?
Thanks again...I appreciate your informed response. SssssOOOOOOOOOOO let's get some boats afloating!
KC

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
2 of the pictures are blank please review the others

well this my update boat filled with foam... caped the wholes now im ready to install the are for the bildge.

here is my predicament on the original it was were B is, but the problem with that was it would keep running even when it could not remove anymore due to the slant of the boat.

now my new idea was to go straight across so it could lie flat thus it would be removing the water until the float stops.. but i was stil going to put a half pvc pipre underneath therefore the plywood covered with CSM wont be always submerged underwater

what you think

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Things are looking good, Mike! I've been hibernating with the cold weather, so just getting caught up on everyone's progress and getting ready to resume mine.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
welcome back!!

did not take pictures but prepping for paint next week. hod no choice went with interlux Brightside.. no tractor paint here in quebec after the band against oil base paints. the prep came out very nice.

need to buy a filler for some gouges and scratches. is there a way to make putty with resin?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup you can buy "Micro Ballons" for filler/fairing. Makes sanding a whole lot easier. Iboats or us composites have them.
[SIZE=-1]Aerosil-Cabosil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2](Fumed Silica) ( Aer-o-sil 200 )[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Thickening agent for epoxies, polyesters, and urethanes. Thicken resins to your own taste by adding varying amounts. Ideal for making adhesives and putties for gluing wood, fiberglass, stone, concrete, etc. However, adding this product will make the cured resin much more difficult to sand.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FL-AER010[/SIZE][SIZE=-2](rule of thumb for purchasing: 1 quart of resin will need about 1 quart of Aerosil to make a mayonnaise like viscosity)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3M Glass Bubbles
These hollow glass microspheres can be added to any epoxy and polyester resin. These bubbles will make a lightweight, easy sanding putty for minor surface filling of cracks, holes, etc. (Color: White)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FL-3M010[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Q-Cells
Inorganic hollow spheres added to resins that will allow for a smoother paste than glass bulbs. Can be used with polyesters or epoxies to fill surface holes and allow for easy sanding. Not for use below waterline. (Color: White)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FL-QC010[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Phenolic Microballoons
(BJO-0930)

These red/purple color phenolic spheres when mixed with epoxy resins will create a low density paste compound which will sand easily and improve strength/flexibility of the cured resin. Better for large gap filling.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Cat No.[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Size[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]Net Wt[/SIZE][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Price[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]FL-PH010[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]QT[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]4oz[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$7.35[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]FL-PH025[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]2 1/2 QT[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]9oz[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$14.75[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]FL-PH050[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]5 QT[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]1 LB[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$21.25[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]FL-PH400[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]4GAL[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]4 LB[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$68.50[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]FL-PH26B[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]26 LB Box[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]-[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Call[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]** Use with epoxy resins only**[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SM Fairing Compound
Blend of multiple fillers that when mixed with epoxy resins are ideal for multipurpose fairing, filling and sanding. Good for fine and large surface filling that needs a easy sanding, creamy putty.
(Color: Light Red/White)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Cat No.[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Size[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Price[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]SM-FC010[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]QT[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$4.60[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]SM-FC025[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]2 1/2 QT[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$7.45[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]SM-FC050[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]5QT[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$11.85[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]SM-FC400[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]4GAL[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]$39.50[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]** Use with epoxy resins only**[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2] (1 quart of epoxy will require approximately 2 quarts of fairing compound to make a peanut butter-like viscosity)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1/32" Milled Fiber
Milled fiberglass powder added to epoxies and polyesters to increase strength of putty and add surface toughness/hardness.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SM-MF005[/SIZE]

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Any West System dealer will carry this. There are two in Montreal. You won't need a lot... if you order online shipping will likely cost as much as the order.

This is what you want.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Mike... do you know how much resin you have used so far? And how much foam?