1910 trophy Bayliner

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Hey fisheymikey, where are you located? Are you doing a Full "Gut" job on your Boat? (Transom, Deck, Stringers)

yes full transom,stringer and bulkhead... hopefully its going to be ok

im leaning towards iso poly resin. 193 tax in also the guy lives close by. thus transportation is also very cheap

im excited to start

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
FisheyMikey,
I'm using Epoxy on my project...I think the Budweiser's have a worse affect though. Thought you should be aware. I read the msds.
Seems like you getting a plan made up. So which way ya heading?

Now I'm confused. Not sure if you read the msds for the epoxy or the Budweiser? :laugh:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Pinning yourself does sound kinda painful. Just click that link he gave ya (or did you do that and still have problems with it?).

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Hahaha...

im removing engine today... ill take pics of damage

I really hope I could get this boat going

happy thanks giving

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Attachments

• photo212837.jpg
    photo212837.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212839.jpg
    photo212839.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212840.jpg
    photo212840.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212841.JPG
    photo212841.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212842.JPG
    photo212842.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 0

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
The battle has begun!!! it went well. The challenge is exciting but even if im VERY comfortlable with the carpentery im more worried of the fiberglassing,

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Hey, fantastic!!!!

So far, it's looking a lot like mine. Any trouble getting the rivets out or the cap off?

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Actually the hard part was the transome area... i should of asked before i went ahead... there was i think peanut butter sticking the transome and the cap.
All my rivet weere aluminum and was really toooooo easy. i had a 3/8 carbit bit slowly drilled and waited for the top of the rivet to break off. then used a big punch to poke threw. the stupid thing was the center of the boat there was plywood with stainless. Why they did not go ahead and do it alll around boggles my mind. im really thinking of putting 3/8 plywood all around

Last edited:

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Well like i suspected.. it is definatly waterlogged! hit the plywood with a hammer went thru like butter. it is demo time...

I also found a seperation between the hull and the floatation box, (please correct me when im not using the right terminolagy)

here are some more pics... i have looked on youtube for some referece for lots of stuff. any advice in the demo would be great.

when i seperate the hull from rotted wood and comprised fiber glass should i se a hacksaw or should i use a cutting disk

Im pretty upset i did not take the boat to be weighed. what would be and educated guess the additional weight of the boat due to waterlogged.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo212945.jpg
    photo212945.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212946.jpg
    photo212946.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212947.jpg
    photo212947.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
the stupid thing was the center of the boat there was plywood with stainless. Why they did not go ahead and do it alll around boggles my mind. im really thinking of putting 3/8 plywood all around

I don't understand this, can you explain?

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Well like i suspected.. it is definatly waterlogged! hit the plywood with a hammer went thru like butter. it is demo time...

The hard part will be deciding where to stop. I ended up taking out pretty much all the wood, including the strips embedded in the chines under tabbing and all the pads on through hull holes. Pretty much every piece of wood I took out was waterlogged.

I also found a seperation between the hull and the floatation box, (please correct me when im not using the right terminolagy)

The "flotation box" consists of a pair of stringers poorly covered with plywood. So I think you found a delamination of the stringer tabbing. I had one too, on the port side towards the bow.

here are some more pics... i have looked on youtube for some referece for lots of stuff. any advice in the demo would be great.

The pics are a bit small and hard to see. It would be better if you could post them to photobucket or similar and link them in. I post on my Google+ page and link to that.

when i seperate the hull from rotted wood and comprised fiber glass should i se a hacksaw or should i use a cutting disk

You'll probably end up using a lot of different tools :)

I suggest getting the tank out first. You'll need to remove the frames/bulkheads before and aft of it first. Sawzall worked well for me, but take care.

Then, take the tops of the flotation boxes off... sawzall, wrecking bar will likely be your friends.

After that... remove old wet foam :)

Im pretty upset i did not take the boat to be weighed. what would be and educated guess the additional weight of the boat due to waterlogged.

Likewise. I dumped 350lbs of old glass and wet wood, plus probably another 200lbs of wet foam. I doubt I'll put much more than 150lbs back in.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
wow!! 400lbs lighter give or take thats awesome... the boat should fly like a rocket now lol

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
did some work today,,,removed the fuel tank,remover the top part of the flotation box, cut the stringer. well there is not rot in my stringer. tryed to upload but did not work. tried to upload pics but still did not work. my stringer are made from solid wood no foam like i was suspecting and they added about 1/4 fiberglass. part of me wished i did not touch it. anycase too late to cry spilled milk.

how do i upload from gmail.

i guess tomorrow ill get that one side done and i will send pics

good night everyone

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
did some work today,,,removed the fuel tank,remover the top part of the flotation box, cut the stringer. well there is not rot in my stringer.

Mine were wet but not rotten. They went anyway... IMO if they are chronically wet they will eventually be rotten. That may be superstition, but it makes me happy.

my stringer are made from solid wood no foam like i was suspecting and they added about 1/4 fiberglass. part of me wished i did not touch it. anycase too late to cry spilled milk.

Same as mine. I probably did not *need* to replace them but full length plywood stringers will be far better than the divided solid ones I replaced, and much lighter. When I'm out on the lake and the weather picks up I will not be wondering what is under me.

tryed to upload but did not work. tried to upload pics but still did not work. how do i upload from gmail.

You can't share them from gmail. You can upload them into your Google+ Photos if you want. They need to be in some publicly accessible place like that or photobucket or flickr. One you have them there, then right click on the image and copy the image URL, then paste it into URL field here. Hope that makes sense... one of us (I volunteer Woodonglass :) ) shoudl make a screencast and post in to Youtube.