1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
ground out all the loose glass around the hull damage P3030005_zpsjngv91ml.jpg P3030001_zps7rcqh9g4.jpg P3030002_zpsuxhns8hh.jpg These are placed a few places around the hull. They are about 1/2' thick foam covered by glass. I believe we came to the conclusion there for extra rigidity.

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
It may be hard to tell but the light pink strip seen in the picture is where the glass comes over the foam from last picture.when I grind these areas they come loose from the hull. I will be going over all of them when I put everything back together. My / is do I need to completely grind them out or will going over whats there be fine
P3030003_zps2quevubh.jpg

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It may be hard to tell but the light pink strip seen in the picture is where the glass comes over the foam from last picture.when I grind these areas they come loose from the hull. I will be going over all of them when I put everything back together. My / is do I need to completely grind them out or will going over whats there be fine

Probably should. Will trap air in the pockets. Maybe a couple pours of resins will fill fill it up but you are cruising along so good at this point. Why not just get em out.
Man o man I better start putting some more wood back in my boat...you're gonna pass right by me. lol

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
That's the strange thing kc if you look at post 301 I have a piece and it does create a air pocket. The glass is on a 45.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup I see it post 301. I guess I just don't like that it's that easy to remove. Is there much of it? Just dawdling back and forth with the pics makes me wonder though that maybe those areas underneath might be thin glassed/weak like the other pics. Some glass over it might just end that supposition.
Let's see how others chine in. Ha ha.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
The other ones on the hull are attached well this one was where the hull damage is so I think that helped release it. Most of the areas will get covered over when I redo the stringers. If I do grind the 45 off I'll leave the top on its attached to the foam

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So is ther foam under that pc. of glass when you remove it? Just wondering because the coloration seems to look like that in the pics.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
image_278647.jpg Yes Red is piece in question aqua is where foa m is yellow is air space. its like a piece of corrugated material

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You could probably just run a multi-tool easily along that area and take off the whole pc. I think I would remove them. What are you going to but back...some ply? I think I remember that in an earlier thread.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I wasn't talking about removing the whole thing. The other ones trough out the hull are attached well. Its just where I grind the red area to prep for the new glass the red area gets thin. As I get more ground I'll take more pics thanks for the advise this far.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ended up removing the whole thing there was water underneath . P3040004_zpspxznd4r4.jpg P3040006_zpskpj6nxd6.jpg P3040007_zpspim4xtxb.jpg P3040005_zpspkiwpboc.jpg P3040008_zpshqw7mdxc.jpg And what is left to do

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Kickin arrs and taking names! Well cool you got that behind you. Gofiga,h 0

According to; [h=1]Water[/h] From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Water is a transparent fluid which forms the world's streams, lakes, oceans and rain, and is the major constituent of the fluids of living things and Boats. As a chemical compound, a water molecule contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms that are connected by covalent bonds. Water is a liquid at standard ambient temperature and pressure, but it often co-exists on Earth with its solid state, ice; and gaseous state, steam (water vapor). It also exists as snow, fog, dew and cloud and is known as "The Great Boat Destroyers."
Water covers and destroys 71% of the Earth's surface Boats.[SUP][1][/SUP] It is vital for all known forms of destruction to boat life. On Earth, 96.5% of the planet's water is found in Boats seas and oceans, 1.7% in groundwater, 1.7% in glaciers and the ice caps and Boats not properly protected of Antarctica and Greenland, a small fraction in other large water bodies, and 0.001% in the air as vapor, clouds (formed of ice and liquid water suspended in air), and precipitation.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] Only 2.5% of the Earth's water is freshwater, and 98.8% of that water is in ice (excepting ice in clouds) and groundwater and Boats. Less than 0.3% of all freshwater is in , rivers, lakes, and the atmosphere, and an even smaller amount of the Earth's freshwater (0.003%) is contained within biological bodies and manufactured products.[SUP][2][/SUP]
Water on Earth moves continually through the water cycle of evaporation and transpiration (evapotranspiration),condensation, precipitation, and runoff, usually reaching the every Boat at sea. Evaporation and transpiration contribute to the precipitation over land. Water used in the production of a good or service is known as virtual water or Recycled, Renovated Boats!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Moving right along ! You have left me lying in the grinding dust on the PS ...
Been working on our fence line hacking through weeds and brier bushes installing a new layer of field fencing . Are dogs really worth the trouble ?
They got out and I think they ate the neighbors cat ... :facepalm:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Moving right along ! You have left me lying in the grinding dust on the PS ...
Been working on our fence line hacking through weeds and brier bushes installing a new layer of field fencing . Are dogs really worth the trouble ?
They got out and I think they ate the neighbors cat ... :facepalm:

Sam,
Whats a PS? BTW it's ok if they ate the neighbors cat. lol! I can't stand you talking about weeds, bushes, fields....I got another 6" to 10" of crap snow, ice, snow and ice tonight. Company already made a 3 hr delay for tom. morn. I'm gonna stay home and go out into my COLD boat and try to do some work.
I hope you worked up a good sweat today! Meowwww Chomp!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Thats funny about the water. While I was cutting out the reinforcements all I kept thinking was Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right. You had to pick this time to be right.
I'm with kc on the cat issue Sam. but I'm sure you'll catch up on at least one of your projects.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The Manatee aka "Prop Scar" :D
btw i did break out in a sweat but the sand knats are out in full force ! :eek:

Sam,
Thanks for the clarification. You DO have soooo many boat projects! That one went right over my head...sand knats, You just had to mention sand! Anyway this time the weather man got it right. Snowing pretty heavy at the moment.

Ahmincha, I was right on something last year 1x, so I guess i used up all my rights already for this year.lol! ;) Glad you dug it out!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
So I remember someone I think it was arawak mention scraping the glass off prior to grinding. so I tried it and it was easier then I thought.This is what I used mostly. It takes some getting use to but once you get the touch its pretty fast.But you have to be careful it will go thru your hull and hurt your wrists. Results P3050003_zpsvxxrgl4p.jpg P3050007_zpsxbtb6ati.jpg P3050004_zpsq8wggfly.jpg P3050006_zpsy6eig4nu.jpg P3050005_zpsywvsvo6k.jpg

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking good ! I take it you punched through your hull and hurt your wrist ....