1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like the 1" hole plan. If you followed my build at all, I drilled 1/4" holes in strategic locations and they looked "okay I guess". After a full season of use, tearing into it revealed a, "why did the motor not fall off?". I think that 1" holes will really show you what's going on. So will removing the transom trim. It seems like rotting from the top down is a biggie on notched transoms.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I agree I actually plan on drilling 1/2" larger holes around all existing holes in transom including garboard drain. If by luck that all looks good then maybe I'll drill a few smaller ones

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I like the 1" hole plan. If you followed my build at all, I drilled 1/4" holes in strategic locations and they looked "okay I guess". After a full season of use, tearing into it revealed a, "why did the motor not fall off?". I think that 1" holes will really show you what's going on. So will removing the transom trim. It seems like rotting from the top down is a biggie on notched transoms.

Yeah, likewise. I used 1/4" bit and my shavings looked like foam.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Well did a little drilling today the wood in my transom is wet and I drilled a couple in the stringer in rear and wood we=as wet there to. the fiber glass on the rear side of the transom is 1/2" thick and the glass on the stringers is just under 1/4" PB200002_zps9426a1b5.jpg PB200001_zpsa3b4b28b.jpg

'

'

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Very cool nice way to make your assessment! I guess though as unfortunate as it is your game plans are set. I like the bigger hole drill out. It will become a standard.
Did you use a wetometer for any readings or it was just that obvious?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
No meter wood was not soaking wet but I am sure bad enough to replace I only drilled a couple tomorrow I will drill more. stringers are approximately 1 1/4" thick where I drilled I figured to do transom was hoping stringers were good.
Was wondering has anyone ever decapitated a walk around

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
A walk around decap is a major$$ nightmare. I would srap her up, give her a good base and tear into her. You are talking alot of space, engineering, $$ and all that.
To do it would be really crazy cool and I have not seen alot of rehabs be able to go that way for the points I listed above.
But I will tell you you will be doing alot of dirty, bending, twisting, crawling, reaching, Kamasutraf to get her back together.

PICT0006.JPG PICT0007.JPG

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok so I thought theses screws were into the fiberglass underneath but when I tried them they just spun. So I reached under and there is nuts on the ones I can get to obviously I'm not sure on the ones I can not get to. It would make sense to me that if there are screws this panel should be removable. Anyone have any insight

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
3701964_0_061220081438_6.jpg
[h=1]1992 Stratos 2250 Walkaround Priced to Sell, FIRM[/h]
$10,000

I looked around at other Strats. i was dinking yours may have those screws modified by po. Looks original though. Time to break out the drill
and tap out those girls. I'll be interested to see what the purpose of that section was other than water penetration problems.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok got the rear section removed And the rear section in one piece I did have to cut the cap 3 ' on rear

Tnstratofam

Commander
Last year a member hear (bakerjw) redid his Stratos 1850 which is a smaller version of what you have. He decaped his, and did a complete resto. He built a cradle for his which worked really well. He only lives about 20 minutes from me, and I went and saw it. It was an impressive resto to be sure. He hasn't been on here in quite a while, and his thread no longer has pics in it. I will see if I can get in touch with him, and see if he will input some of his wisdom on his project. I remember the deck on his was really difficult to remove. I remember he fought with it pretty hard.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guy's it was a bit of a pain the screws were actually bolts so accessing them was tough. I am not sure if these were original or not it just does not make sense that it would be bolted together as one piece then top meets hull but a couple nuts were impossible to get to

That would be great tn hopefully he can get pics back up

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Great! Sure did beat having to cut it out and then re-install/repair. Looks darn dry in there.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So, does the liner that you removed have a wooden deck or core in it? I've always been curious about those types of decks.